[Heavy guns]-Suggestion

Esc

35 minutes ago, Havana said:

You can very easily have a gun in your lap, hidden between your legs, and lift it to shoot somebody. Obviously, you can't do this in game with rifles, it simply won't let you shoot them from within the car. However, they wouldn't be easily visible to anyone unless they're sticking their head directly in the window.

You have to roleplay taking it with you when you step out of the car anyway.

No, you can't.

You may be able to slip a rifle between your legs when sitting. But then revealing it to shoot someone in an accurate manner is not just as simple as you make it out to be. And then what if you're standing up? Pffsh. 

36 minutes ago, Havana said:

My concern with this entire thing is that you're just swapping the risk of someone powergaming how a gun is hidden, and now you're risking how everyone else might metagame and be more paranoid about your character.

I don't understand the concern. If player has long gun on them, gun is visible to any passerby. If you don't want to be seen with a long gun, use a smaller firearm. That's why they are popular in criminal settings. They are small and effective at close range.

37 minutes ago, Havana said:

So now, someone sees the gun model blatantly on your back, and freaks out without giving you a chance to roleplay how it's ACTUALLY stored and held on your body. If it's a draco style AK, it could be under your shirt and reasonably only make a bulge. If you're wearing a big jacket, it could be entirely out of sight. There's slings for sawn-off shotguns that go well under big, bulky jackets. I've seen rifles that are basically pistols, and pistols that are basically rifles. There's limited variation to the in-game guns, but you get the idea.

If you're storing it in a guitar case, or a weapons case, or a duffle bag (If it's small enough, though unlikely) then it is your responsibility to ensure others know you are informing others that see you. Absolutely not lmao, a draco AK cannot fit under your shirt and only make a bulge. If you do somehow manage to fit 17.5 inches worth of gun underneath your shirt, it will still print the gun heavily. If you're wearing a jacket, only then is it concealed, and that's only if it's something like a Draco or a submachine gun. No full-size rifle or shotgun would fit in a jacket and allow you to perform your activities normally without looking like something is wrong.

A pistol AR-15 or pistol AK is exactly that, a pistol. If it has no stock, or a brace, it is not a rifle under US law (given the appropriate methods followed) and only those types of "rifles" are somewhat concealable. Again, a full length long gun - No way.

45 minutes ago, Havana said:

Again, this all comes down to having someone properly roleplay what would be visible.

Right now, you depend on one person with the gun to roleplay how they're holding it, storing it, etc. If you make it a visible model, you're just swapping the powergame issues for a metagame issue

Now you're relying on everyone else who sees the gun model. One person with a gun vs 5 people who now have to roleplay properly around it. I guarantee you there will be more issues. If a sawn-off shotgun is safely tucked away in a bulky jacket and the entire point is to catch someone by surprise, the people in the area are going to be paranoid as all hell if they see the model hanging unrealistically from your back.

You're right, this does come down to having someone properly roleplay what would be visible. You hit the nail on the head. That is YOUR job. If you want to bring your long gun out in public, you need to handle it properly. Otherwise, do the smart thing and carry a handgun.

Right now, you have to trust the person with the long gun to tell everyone when the gun is visible. I just don't see how that's the better option. It's not a metagame issue, or rather it wouldn't be.

A sawed off shotgun wouldn't realistically be one of the weapons that would be visible. I would have thought that would be obvious. Clearly not for some people.

56 minutes ago, Havana said:

The metagame issues with it will happen a lot more often than someone improperly roleplaying where their gun is. No thanks.

If you say so!

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

-snip-

Wooh, we're going for the dissection approach. Fun.

As I said, the game mechanics don't let you shoot a rifle from within a car anyway despite those drive-by shootings actually happening and being just as realistic. But you could reasonably have it beside you, tucked between your thigh and the door. If the following had a foldable stock and a shorter barrel length, it could easily be overlooked.

Spoiler

tumblr_nc9sc90Fdb1qlu11ko1_500.gif

tumblr_ndbg1hgriS1qlu11ko1_500.gif

On the draco issue that you're adamant about it not fitting under your clothes, I'll reiterate that it is possible if you look at the size. People have stuffed them in the back of their pants and worn something heavier over it. Not someone in skinny jeans, but someone in baggy shirts or hoodies in classic thug clothes? Entirely possible. Yes, it would print, but it'd be reasonably concealed.

Spoiler

DJ3FZBrWsAE4Xqf.jpg:large

And as I said, you're just swapping one rule break for another. One person carrying the gun could powergame its storage place and not tell everyone that it'd be very visible. If he whips it out out of nowhere, that's an easy report.

Or you could just deal with however many people see the floating gun model and decide to metagame and leave the area preemptively. That'll be harder to prove and much more widespread.

Edited by Havana
3 minutes ago, Havana said:

Wooh, we're going for the dissection approach. Fun.

As I said, the game mechanics don't let you shoot a rifle from within a car anyway. But you could reasonable have it beside you, tucked between your thigh and the door. If the following had a foldable stock and a shorter barrel length, it could easily be overlooked.

Reveal hidden contents

On the draco issue that you're adamant about it not fitting under your clothes, I'll reiterate that it is possible if you look at the size. People have stuffed them in the back of their pants and worn something heavier over it. Not someone in skinny jeans, but someone in baggy shirts or hoodies in classic thug clothes? Entirely possible. Yes, it would print, but it'd be reasonably concealed.

Reveal hidden contents

DJ3FZBrWsAE4Xqf.jpg:large

And as I said, you're just swapping one rule break for another. One person carrying the gun could powergame its storage place and not tell everyone that it'd be very visible. If he whips it out out of nowhere, that's an easy report.

Or you could just deal with however many people see the floating gun model and decide to metagame and leave the area preemptively. That'll be harder to prove and much more widespread.

Can you actually walk with such a thing in your baggy pants without a problem? Everything that is bigger than a TEC-9 or a UZI is already an issue.

Just now, Emilia said:

Can you actually walk with such a thing in your baggy pants without a problem? Everything that is bigger than a TEC-9 or a UZI is already an issue.

Tbh it would be bulky and very annoying to walk with, yes. And a micro draco can weigh around 5 lbs. Nobody would carry anything like that casually, it'd have to be to specifically sneak it in somewhere.