PK / Value of Life Rule Discussion

51 minutes ago, SpawnMatrix said:

When you PK, you forget everything leading up to the events that unfolded that resulted in your characters death. Now how would it make sense to RP gunshot wounds after you respawn if your character was killed in that altercation? Your character in that life would be in a morgue. So, in essence, you're starting a "New Life" but with the same character. Now, this is a very short explanation of a PK so take it with a grain of salt, I don't want to type out an essay for this as it just needs to be defined more clearly within our server rules in the future.

Now that we've cleared that up, this thread can get back on the topic of PK / Value of Life and not argue about something minuscule that doesn't really pertain to this thread, thanks.

Why do we spawn at a hospital?

I was told that when you acceptdeath, you are basically rping that you get sent to a hospital but you don’t remember what happened of course. What is the issue with RPing wounds? Getting PKd feels like nothing lost then.

Edited by aldo
9 minutes ago, aldo said:

Getting PKd feels like nothing lost then.

getting PK'd, if done properly, IS something lost - players who are good sports about their PK will typically lose their IC connections with a decent chunk of other characters.

if a player is starting or running blind into gunfights, it isn't an issue of a flawed server mechanic - it's an issue of the player not properly adhering to realistic roleplay (which in itself is a heavily unstable and complicated topic) and disregarding the general unspoken guidelines of the PK system.

stop discussing the spawning in hospital subject. it was already cleared by an admin. let's get back on topic.

9 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

I didn't say it wasn't okay to engage in the shootout. I never once said that they couldn't. I said there should be more thought about whether they should rather than simply run for cover. You don't lose your territory by staying alive, right? Live to fight another day. You don't have to stand there and get shot up. My point is that there is an issue currently with people and their regard for their life because the current consequences warrant that mentality. 

"So what if I get killed, it's just a PK, everything is forgotten."

I don't know what punishment I'd like to see, hence the entire reason for this thread. I was looking for a discussion on what would be good ideas for these situations. I would've just made this a rule suggestion if I had a concise idea of what punishments should happen during this kind of PK.

For as many shootouts I've been involved in so far, I can tell you that it's only couple people who do the draw on spot when actively getting shot. Mostly people run for the cover and stay in, at least in our case scenarios in which I've been involved myself. Yet again as it was mention before, if there is punishment implented then it's who draws first wins the whole situation and it will be unfair again.

8 minutes ago, akari said:

getting PK'd, if done properly, IS something lost - players who are good sports about their PK will typically lose their IC connections with a decent chunk of other characters.

if a player is starting or running blind into gunfights, it isn't an issue of a flawed server mechanic - it's an issue of the player not properly adhering to realistic roleplay (which in itself is a heavily unstable and complicated topic) and disregarding the general unspoken guidelines of the PK system.

stop discussing the spawning in hospital subject. it was already cleared by an admin. let's get back on topic.

Stop discussing? I’m literally just asking and I can discuss that freely if I want. You don’t have a right to tell me not to ?

And I know how good roleplayers will react to getting PK’d blah blah, i’m talking about the huge amount of bad roleplayers who completely disregard fear and only take dying as losing a gun.

Edited by aldo
54 minutes ago, useawitness said:

For as many shootouts I've been involved in so far, I can tell you that it's only couple people who do the draw on spot when actively getting shot. Mostly people run for the cover and stay in, at least in our case scenarios in which I've been involved myself. Yet again as it was mention before, if there is punishment implented then it's who draws first wins the whole situation and it will be unfair again.

You’ve been lucky then. I’ve seen more situations go the other way. I’m all for giving people credit for playing it the right way, but many do not. Many people don’t care at all about getting PK’d, thus having little regard for their own wellbeing. 

Edited by Kestalas

If we are talking about the value of life, I suspect people don't care because they don't have something else to look forward to in there RolePlay..

Ill give a bit of an example:

From what I have seen, people that go around and attempt to rob people, really, that's all they do in the server.. so what makes the difference if they die or not? If they do anything else, it is usually heavily crime related, and nothing to do with actually a simple life RP. One of my characters has two sides to them. One side is a very evil, dark person, but on the other side, is a very nice polite person, works in a small company and would never be suspected of a thing. Some of the decisions that are made for that character, are depended on his family and what he thinks could happen in the future. He has a very big fear of doing public crimes, he likes to do everything very quiet and planned, professional, he doesn't want his family to be hurt. He will even stop in the mid of action because he realized what he is doing wrong, what could go wrong.

If someone has nothing to look forward to, there RolePlay and value of life really doesn't change, besides for the mentality of "oh, I'm just going to die and respawn, we be all good" also the "Oh, it's just a PK, we just forget about this" - However, I am not saying there are people on the server that do a lot of crimes, robbing, shootings and hits, that do not know how to RolePlay. I just think the general 'civilization' that we see will always have two different RP'ers. Some that are new and not really caring for the 'heavy RP' and the other group who has been doing this for years, and know every aspect of RP, and basically the wrong from right. 

People need something to value besides themselves, to want to keep them alive. If the only thing we had was ourselves at all times, we would be in a very deep and dark place.. Imagine if you didn't have family, friends, someone to talk to in real life.. However, that is how a lot of people RP on the server. They hold these things back because it doesn't matter to them. PTSD is a real killer, and yet, half of the people on the server that kill, probably not once have valued what happens when you sleep at night, close your eyes, or get into a deep thought after you have killed someone. 

When it comes to the 'quick draw' as stated above.. that's all I ever see or have been encountered with sadly. There is never a time, unless I have presented the RP, to where fear of a gun actually comes in place. At all times, from what I have encountered or have seen, it is usually someone just running up on you, placing a gun to your head, and as someone stated, being able to do nine things at once. 

• Upvote 2

Value of life PK's are retarded. Sorry to rain on your parade but if this is the case, why should you even roleplay? This is a roleplay community and if you're wanting to take it to the next step or enforce people to take that next step, you need to get some priorities straight. Lets stop dilly-dallying with these shit PK here or 10 minute respawn there. Value your characters life or you'll be CK'ed. This will not only make RP more organic and more unique, but it will also combat those many few who roleplay unrealistic characters. As soon as you implement this rule, the server will act a hundred times different. If not, there will be tens of CK's that go on per day because people cannot control themselves.

What am I arguing?:
When in any situation your character wants to make it out alive. You're not here to lose the least amount of items or avoid jail sentencing by a simple PK and respawn. Everything you do has consequences and at the end of each situation you should be roleplaying properly. Generally that means to survive. Watch your moves and act smart on the streets or whatever. You disregard your characters life, you're liable for a CK.

Impacts?:
Not only will you see many characters with realistic backgrounds thrive and survive in the world of GTA:W, but you will also see a decline in those characters who cannot roleplay worth shit and have poor development to back up there every action. This will encourage players to continue roleplaying on a singular character, effectively killing off the cancers and bringing hardened veterans. Illegal RP might decline due to the fact that everyone will be watching their moves; the administrative members can create a combat system that allows faction to have some PK-to-PK violence as in real life gangs have more than fifteen members.

So what are we waiting for? Everyone on this server is so quick to change shit about PK's, but you're literally popularizing them. They don't do anything but cause IC and OOC drama and disconnect between reality and the game. Some people come here to roleplay with massive amounts of character development, others log on once in a while to shoot at people. At the end of the day we're all trying to roleplay within the rules and portray a realistic character and this will only benefit the RP scene.

• Upvote 1

@Playboii

In a perfect world, I would 100% agree with you. I don’t feel that suggestion would even be considered here, to be completely honest with you. I would be 100% in support of a “if you don’t value your life, it’s a CK”. I just don’t think it would ever be implemented here. Too many cry babies that would call it unfair. 

1 minute ago, Kestalas said:

@Playboii

In a perfect world, I would 100% agree with you. I don’t feel that suggestion would even be considered here, to be completely honest with you. I would be 100% in support of a “if you don’t value your life, it’s a CK”. I just don’t think it would ever be implemented here. Too many cry babies that would call it unfair. 

Unfair? That goes for everyone and it's the system PD follows at this current point.

• Upvote 1