[Theory of Roleplay] Long Term Development & You

HaveADream

I've roleplayed since 2002. I started on Guildwars, moved to other MMOs before I found SA:MP in 2006. I roleplayed with valhalla gaming until 2008 and then with LS-RP actively until roughly 2014. After that on-off until today while doing other RP projects.

What I learned is - Roleplay and its standards vary wildly based on the plattform you roleplay on as well as the community you roleplay with. Besides this, everything said in the initial post is agreeable on.

What I do want to throw in are two things.

1.) The impact of murder and death are not equal in all cultures throughout the world. There are places where a life is worth virtually nothing and the impact on someones psyche is according to that. Everything leaves a mark even losing a favorite pencil but culture defines values and the impact of actions immensely. 

2.) LS is not a 1:1 copy of our western world. GTA plays in an exaggerated universe where violence, greed, and basically all seven sins are way more common than in our RL universe. The stronger you are exposed to certain things the more desensibilized you get towards those things.

If you combine those two statements it's quite clear that it's still reasonable and within explainable parameters that a death in LS does not impact a person as hard as it would in it's real life counterpart. That being said if you lose a friend it should hurt you and it should hurt you for a while. My grandfather passed away nearly a decade ago on 23rd of december and to this day I can't spend a christmas without thinking about it - even if it no longer impacts my every day life and I am still able to enjoy what life is giving me. 

To the RP quality - be the change you want to see. Social circles decide their standards and if light roleplayers get rejected by all social circles they are faced with two options: a.) improve their roleplay or b.) roleplay in solitude. The issue often arises when a bunch of "lesser" roleplayers band together, recruiting people further and acting as role models for such behavior. Especially dangerous when a new player falls into their hands before getting picked up by someone with more experience. 

The last paragraph is why I personally would support a IC tourist guide or "introduction office to live in LS" kind of job. Experienced players can apply and start to earn their money by introducing players to the server - ICly as well as OOCly. 

very much agree with a lot of this. I'm still roleplaying the effects of stuff on some of my characters that happened a year or so ago ICly lol. Traumatic experiences don't just vanish, especially if you don't actually get help to move on from them. As for injuries I honestly get triggered when people just go to the hospital get fixed up and RP like they didn't even get injured, especially if its shit like gunshots/stab wounds in vital areas etc. I get that there's a fine line for certain rps and they wanna be involved but damn, at least make up a rule for yourself to RP it depending on the injury. severe injuries rp it for a few days/week+ etc, simple injuries rp anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, something like that

I.E my character Keiko when I originally had her rolled her car off a mountain and down a hill and only survived it due to the extensive cage built in her car, and I RPed the injuries for 2 ooc months & she's still overcoming the mental side of that crash while most people would do that and RP fine 3 minutes later and go on about their day is the point.  I tend to overdo it, so I'm not saying EVERYONE should roleplay that if they don't want to but outright ignoring it after 3 minutes of npc roleplay or an hour or so of giving a medic/doc some RP and pretending like it never even happened aside from bringing it up here n there in the future is so wack to me. Creating RP out of it can spawn a lot of interesting RP when you get into the mind of your character and the people around to do with their own as well.

Although, I think there's a fine line between what's bullshit and what's up to you personally preferring to roleplay though, I think standards should be high but also still provide fun. Nobody's going to stay if they're not having fun, afterall. The whole condensed thing is a valid point and there's a blend you kinda have to finesse between realism and the simple fact that people go around killing and robbing and raping like its a simple thing for human being to commit gang member, cop or not. With that, you're bound to have much more happen to your character as a person in a small amount of time than a normal person would ever have happen to them in their lifetime. Especially with the inconsistencies between each roleplayer's view on this topic as well it's a weird  subject to confront IMO.

I suppose in the end it all just boils down to how seriously people take their roleplay and how they view the idea of what they're character is (i.e is it a role as in just a gang member or is it a person behind that role that you're acting as and respecting the character's personality, mindset and all that goes into being a person etc), since a lot of people tend to have different ideas and/or abilities to portray it well.

It's a really interesting conversation to have but at the same time I feel like it's almost a pointless one since most of the people who think one way and agree on that one way typically disagree with the other way of doing thing. (i.e i'd much prefer roleplay that has extremely lasting effects on my character and i do that for myself, and most of the people I frequently roleplay with do the same, since that's what I like to surround myself with, but I don't like and tend to stay away from people that have all the RP only really provide short term mental development that goes away when they want to do the next crime or w/e and only really care about treating it like a game and doing as many crazy things as they can and RP the consequences for 10 minutes max, and that person that does that would most likely argue that the way I do things is stale and boring and not fun.) I kinda just accept it and go with it though, as long as I'm enjoying the roleplay and the people around me are too we gucci my guy, i could ramble about this shit all day tho honestly.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:50 PM, HaveADream said:

Woah - she didn't write it all ?

On topic - I completely agree with what Akari has said - you really shouldn't need to look for good roleplayers, while I don't think the server is cliquey, those who have been here long enough absolutely do stay in their own social circles out of fear of the potential of poor roleplay, which I think drives away some new players too.

100% agree with this but I can't say shit cause I kinda do this a lot, to my own demise. I'm hella skeptical about new people to rp with unless I'm in a faction for some reason. I'll RP with anyone generally but getting myself to go out of my way to do it, first thought that pops into my head is like "naw its gonna be some dumbass" and I don't lmfao. I'm not even the greatest rper around but I'm a total bitter fuck about certain types of rpers