Where does everyone seem to roleplay?

4 hours ago, cracked said:

have you been around the hood like around Forum Drive and Carson, Grove & Rancho? there's some active facs there so...

Yes, they're mostly very closed off though and nowhere near as representative of a server with 260 players. I tend to find like 4-5 people on every block at max and even that only happens every once in a blue moon.

Not sure where everyone else is, but from a legal character's perspective that won't approach gang infested areas due their line of work, I don't find any other opportunities of roleplay available.

I do try to provide as much roleplay for others as possible, but from a legal standpoint; there hardly is any activity I notice. Gangs exist, but even they aren't as active as you'd expect them to be despite their faction threads stating otherwise.

Perhaps they are active, but indoors or within closed premises, which is what I'm noticing frequently amongst factions. Not to say that this is wrong, but I just feel like they miss out on a lot of roleplay opportunities just being closed off indoors and it really leads to a dead-looking environment.

On 7/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, hipsxn said:

And if 90% of vehicles can out-run the cop cars, then I believe PD should atleast have a helicopter unit or a High-Speed Unit (HSU) to combat the amount of fast vehicles on the server. Good thing about a air unit and a HSU is that they would be able to keep callouts going and the PD Cruisers that are behind can cut off the suspect. Maybe suggest it, if it isn't a thing. (Only played 40 hours so I'm not sure if the unit's I've stated are a thing)

Although this isn't one of the points initially in discussion, introducing a "high speed" unit to the Police Department sounds like a terrible idea. Helicopters, especially with the lack of tunnels and highways overlapping within the city, can easily reproduce the same effect that a high speed unit "could" bring. High speed units do not exist at any functional level in real life on the basis that at high speeds, pursuits are too dangerous. You can argue that for the sake of the game it's fun to chase someone going above 150 miles an hour, but inevitably that person is going to crash and fuck their car up anyways, and frankly it's arcadey to recreate Need for Speed. I'd argue the way to counter the proliferation of high speed cars is to introduce a tax similar to property ownership - you can possess X amount of cars until paying a tax scales up exponentially as things go on. Introducing other ways to invest money as well would be ideal. The goal of police shouldn't be to catch everyone doing whacky unrealistic shit. In my opinion, if someone is using NOS and driving a sports car at excess of 200 miles throughout Los Santos, that's unrealistic driver behavior and should be forwarded to staff. Should they be punished? Not for me to decide, but if you combine the driving with crimes such as robberies, that's just annoying on an OOC level. There exists some isolated cases of supercar chases, but almost none of them result in anything but a called off pursuit and a flaming vehicle wreck a couple miles down the highway.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, Serower said:

Not sure where everyone else is, but from a legal character's perspective that won't approach gang infested areas due their line of work, I don't find any other opportunities of roleplay available.

I'm not entirely sure what urges you not to approach the "hood," but in the LAPD in real life they don't have much choice as to where they select their assignments. You're assigned a beat, and if that beat is inside of the worst neighborhoods of Watts and elsewhere, you're expected to patrol there. In small towns, it might pass that you can reliably avoid poking around in the bad areas, but in the LAPD you're expected to get your hands dirty. Legal characters should approach gang infested areas, at least on-duty, as that is a realistic depiction of a police officer unless you're roleplaying a lazy guy. Proactive policing is rare in a city as big as LA unless you are in a specialized unit, but with the reality of population on GTAW, it's a must, and the most reliable area for that is gang-infested areas. Unless you're talking about off-duty, but that's just sensible.

Ultimately, two things decide population: timezone and geography. GTAW, early on, decided to create properties as far as Paleto Bay. I personally find this to be a bad decision on the basis that it's equivalent to making a house rentable in Bayside on LSRP. The map is massive in comparison to SAMP, and to find people is a chore. Although the population may be catching up between communities, the density is going to remain significantly lower due to the simple fact we can't control map size. But you can control expansion - I think the best route moving forward is to congregate businesses, jobs, and scripting to the southern part of the map. This way, density is higher.

1 hour ago, Bospy said:

I'm not entirely sure what urges you not to approach the "hood," but in the LAPD in real life they don't have much choice as to where they select their assignments. You're assigned a beat, and if that beat is inside of the worst neighborhoods of Watts and elsewhere, you're expected to patrol there. In small towns, it might pass that you can reliably avoid poking around in the bad areas, but in the LAPD you're expected to get your hands dirty.

Our equivalent of this comes with the units you join. Gang areas are mostly looked over by gang officers, although my character is in robbery-homicide and generally tends to hate dealing with childish characters.

Also, being assigned to patrol a single area is realistic but hard to execute in a game as timezones and real life priorities get in the way.

Either way, I was speaking from an off duty, civilian perspective, not a police officer perspective as I do roam around gang neighborhoods from time to time in game and RP with them on duty as long as my characters safety isn't compromised.

Edited by Serower
9 hours ago, Bospy said:

Although this isn't one of the points initially in discussion, introducing a "high speed" unit to the Police Department sounds like a terrible idea. Helicopters, especially with the lack of tunnels and highways overlapping within the city, can easily reproduce the same effect that a high speed unit "could" bring. High speed units do not exist at any functional level in real life on the basis that at high speeds, pursuits are too dangerous. You can argue that for the sake of the game it's fun to chase someone going above 150 miles an hour, but inevitably that person is going to crash and fuck their car up anyways, and frankly it's arcadey to recreate Need for Speed. I'd argue the way to counter the proliferation of high speed cars is to introduce a tax similar to property ownership - you can possess X amount of cars until paying a tax scales up exponentially as things go on. Introducing other ways to invest money as well would be ideal. The goal of police shouldn't be to catch everyone doing whacky unrealistic shit. In my opinion, if someone is using NOS and driving a sports car at excess of 200 miles throughout Los Santos, that's unrealistic driver behavior and should be forwarded to staff. Should they be punished? Not for me to decide, but if you combine the driving with crimes such as robberies, that's just annoying on an OOC level. There exists some isolated cases of supercar chases, but almost none of them result in anything but a called off pursuit and a flaming vehicle wreck a couple miles down the highway.

I'm not entirely sure what urges you not to approach the "hood," but in the LAPD in real life they don't have much choice as to where they select their assignments. You're assigned a beat, and if that beat is inside of the worst neighborhoods of Watts and elsewhere, you're expected to patrol there. In small towns, it might pass that you can reliably avoid poking around in the bad areas, but in the LAPD you're expected to get your hands dirty. Legal characters should approach gang infested areas, at least on-duty, as that is a realistic depiction of a police officer unless you're roleplaying a lazy guy. Proactive policing is rare in a city as big as LA unless you are in a specialized unit, but with the reality of population on GTAW, it's a must, and the most reliable area for that is gang-infested areas. Unless you're talking about off-duty, but that's just sensible.

Ultimately, two things decide population: timezone and geography. GTAW, early on, decided to create properties as far as Paleto Bay. I personally find this to be a bad decision on the basis that it's equivalent to making a house rentable in Bayside on LSRP. The map is massive in comparison to SAMP, and to find people is a chore. Although the population may be catching up between communities, the density is going to remain significantly lower due to the simple fact we can't control map size. But you can control expansion - I think the best route moving forward is to congregate businesses, jobs, and scripting to the southern part of the map. This way, density is higher.

You just gotta remember. Yeah this is a roleplay server and things have to have some sort of realism but you also have to remember it is a GAME, people log on and just want to enjoy themselves. I doubt PD are enjoying themselves in chases when they cant even catch up to the suspect.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, Serower said:

Gangs exist, but even they aren't as active as you'd expect them to be despite their faction threads stating otherwise.

Perhaps they are active, but indoors or within closed premises, which is what I'm noticing frequently amongst factions. Not to say that this is wrong, but I just feel like they miss out on a lot of roleplay opportunities just being closed off indoors and it really leads to a dead-looking environment.

I don't feel this is a fair description of gang RP, at least in South Los Santos. I'm seeing gunshots and violence every day, drug deals, fights, and characters just hanging out, talking, drinking, smoking, whatever. I'm not just talking about the gang in my hood. If I step outside of my hood, like to go to a store or even just take a bicycle ride or walk down the street...I will encounter RP. If I'm really immersing myself in the setting and environment, taking my time, getting really into it...RP always finds me.

We also have to appreciate there are some IC reasons to not be super obvious, like ppl don't wanna make themselves targets, so it takes time to encounter RP sometimes, especially if you're a stranger/outsider. For me it's always been like that, illegal or legal. I go in with the attitude that I might not find something, but often the excitement comes from those natural/surprise moments.

IMO we need to appreciate there is a rhythm and flow to all of this. I don't play unless I know I'm gonna spend at least 2-3 hours just immersing myself in the setting. OOCly I know that if I take a walk through South LS, I'm probably gonna encounter gang RP. Like I literally can't buy a chocolate bar without finding RP.

3 hours ago, hipsxn said:

You just gotta remember. Yeah this is a roleplay server and things have to have some sort of realism but you also have to remember it is a GAME, people log on and just want to enjoy themselves. I doubt PD are enjoying themselves in chases when they cant even catch up to the suspect.

This mindset brings unintended consequences and I've seen the effect those consequences can have on legal faction and illegal faction relations. While we all thoroughly dislike people committing crimes and running around in muscle cars, it is much better to leave that to staff to deal with. If you relegate that to be dealt with by PD and tell them "IC is IC," you will have players in PD with very resentful attitudes towards criminal roleplay.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1