Mileage meter for vehicles

Short description:

Add a feature where all vehicles count the miles they've traveled since their production date (spawn time).

Detailed description:

Add a feature where all vehicles count the miles they've traveled since their production date (spawn time). This would show up on the HUD while in the vehicle, perhaps under the fuel tank meter.

Commands to add:

Perhaps /vmileage?

Items to add:

None.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

This would add an additional layer of RP to trading second-hand vehicles, as such a feature can be used to negotiate as it's usually an indication of the vehicle's state.

Additional information:

None.

They need a whole vehicle system on this server, miners buying their DS car for 200k, max it, then sell for 250k is idiotic.
Mileage, need to replace some basic parts of the car, because IRL used car is NEVER over DS price, in GTAW it's over DS price 60% of the time.

I really don't want this feature so I feel like I should post here and explain why.

Personally, I don't think it serves any cosmetic purpose. I mean sure, it gives an indication of the age of a vehicle, but mileage is usually a measure of wear and tear on the engine. And we don't have that... yet.

And this is my problem. Adding mileage to a vehicle is step-one in introducing engine wear. And item degradation has never been a welcome feature in any video game ever.

I know this is technically not a game, it's an RP platform. But still, if getting your engine serviced is something that we'd need to do every week, then it becomes a chore. If it's something that we need to do every month, then it's just another money sink. So every 6 months then is there really a point? I mean, yeah, it would give mechanics an extra job to do but would it really improve RP quality?

And if we're not going to introduce engine wear, then is there really a point to a mileage meter?

Edit: The ID of the vehicle is already a good enough indication of its age.

Edited by Pan Grama
2 hours ago, Pan Grama said:

I really don't want this feature so I feel like I should post here and explain why.

Personally, I don't think it serves any cosmetic purpose. I mean sure, it gives an indication of the age of a vehicle, but mileage is usually a measure of wear and tear on the engine. And we don't have that... yet.

And this is my problem. Adding mileage to a vehicle is step-one in introducing engine wear. And item degradation has never been a welcome feature in any video game ever.

I know this is technically not a game, it's an RP platform. But still, if getting your engine serviced is something that we'd need to do every week, then it becomes a chore. If it's something that we need to do every month, then it's just another money sink. So every 6 months then is there really a point? I mean, yeah, it would give mechanics an extra job to do but would it really improve RP quality?

And if we're not going to introduce engine wear, then is there really a point to a mileage meter?

I can't possibly see why anyone would have a problem with a proper mileage system? It is a video game, but it is a server on a video game that tries to portray realism and mileage on vehicles is pretty realistic.

3 hours ago, Pan Grama said:

Everything is a money sink. We have car dealerships and a real estate market without actually having an economy - it's exactly the same thing when having odometer without an actual engine wear. For a time being, it can just be a feature, like the new CEF phone is.

I support this,

Additionally: it would be cool if the vehicle got "random" maintenance checks, where you got a message or something saying "engine light has come on" or "tire pressure light has come on", and when those occur the vehicles stats are auto reduced so the vehicle doesn't drive as well. Until you take it to a shop and they would have a command to restore it back to full stats. As the mileage increased these messages become more frequent. 

This would lead to more vehicle role-play, and lower resale value, making used cars actually a thing, at a certain mileage, they can even "break-down" and completely stop working. 

I'm curious if this is a feature people would enjoy or not.

• Upvote 2