[Saints News] Stories: Sara Kowalski

YhJydCu.png

u3OhqpK.jpg

An eerie photo of a drugged Sara Kowalski (Right) hours before the duos' standoff with police. (Source: FaceBrowser)

Stories: Sara Kowalski

Kidnapping, Forced Marriages and Suicide Vests

Sara Kowalski - perhaps more well-known as a notable FaceBrowser user, or otherwise through her work with Nithercott Cosmetics, was the subject of an excruciating period of stalking and harassment. Sara, a student at ULSA, was worried for her safety following a series of events from a fellow student, who will remain nameless, starting as a consistent staring in class and online harassment, eventually leading to her kidnapping, drugging, forced imprisonment and being rigged with a (discovered as fake) suicide vest at no other place than the university that they had met. We had a chance to sit down with Sara after the incident, who was very keen to talk to us in order to warn other girls of both the warning signs and the possible escalation that may be faced by something they had initially considered as harmless. 

So, Sara, walk us through what happened?

I'll tell the story from the beginning. In the first year of Microbiology, there was a guy named Chad, who just kept looking at me. After I asked him what's going on and if he needs any help during the lectures he just simply said "No" to me and said how beautiful I am and asked me out. I was not simply interested as it was supposed to be my quiet years of being an introverted nerd, who played video games 24/7. And that's how it began.

My phone was crashing because of the enormous amount of messages he kept sending to me, he even had the nerve to crash my window with a brick that had "I love you" written over it with chalk. I had to react, I decided to go to the Dean's office when this situation happened, he got expelled. I thought it was over, everyone surrounding me thought it was, he stopped messaging me, my windows were in one piece, to clue you into how recent this really was, he even got mad at me when I had dyed my hair white.

My fiancé said that I had to run away from here, so I forged a plan and my destination was Liberty City. Jumping ahead to Thursday. I left my home and went for my car I left a few streets further, and then he approached me. I didn't even remember him. I just erased the image of him out of my head. Without a chance to speak, he grabbed my hand and pushed a cloth over my face, I knew it was chloroform so I tried to hold my breath.

But it knocked me out. I woke up in - well, I have no idea what that place was. It was like an abandoned factory. It was so cold there. As you can imagine, that's where the nightmare began. He was cutting my skin, piercing it with needles. I didn't, or couldn't, eat anything he tried to give me. It didn't even look like real food! Every time I refused to eat he inserted a gun into my mouth and started playing Russian roulette with me, it continued on, and then he was told me that Monday will be our big day. I got an IV connected to me with some type of drug, and I don't know what it was that the IV was connected to. 

836e134ed0831bcdabf23ce0036d499d.jpg

Happier Times, Sara at the top left. (Source: Nithercott Cosmetics)

To describe it, I just... didn't feel any pain, nor emotions. I was like a doll. You could throw me across that room and I wouldn't even feel it. I feared the worst knowing what he'd do to me, but all of my tests for any type of STI came out negative, thankfully. When I woke up on Monday I noticed I didn't have my clothes on. I was dressed in a gown, in the photo that everyone saw (pictured top), he told me he was going to marry me, but in case I wouldn't agree he prepared "bombs" we would wear. I didn't know where we were moving or going to, though. every time we were moving, he blindfolded me and I was "seated" in the trunk of a car.

And then we arrived at ULSA. He said these were bombs of nitroglycerin. which is a widely obtainable drug for most of the heart's conditions. However, it's also a very unstable explosive, you could just hit it with a hammer and it would explode. I didn't make any moves until I had lost my temper. At that point, I just wanted to die and told him to detonate them. I had completely given up. But he froze. Instantly. When I saw him, it looked like he got more scared of that fact than the fact that the police and every single person in Los Santos were surrounding us. Realising that it had affected him, I took advantage of this and started calling him names, I even hit him with my head while I was standing in front of him. When he hit me and I fell on the ground I knew that these 'bombs' were fake.

There was nothing in there. It was just... a timer and nothing else. Then, it all went a bit blurry, I heard gunshots and I think I went into shock. Later on, I got transported to the hospital to check on my physical state, after some time, I was released. Now? Here I am. Patched up. Around my friend, .with emptiness inside of my head. He was a sick man. A really sick man, mentally. I don't wish for my worst enemy to go through the nightmare I got through. except for those marks from the needles, and the rusty nails, I'm alright.

3a028fb0d587ac1a485da0c7a1146cef.png

Lana Vandy's appeal for help, which went viral on the social media platform. (Source: FaceBrowser)

So, if you could warn other girls about it, what would you say are some red flags and a good response to them?

Well, to warn the other girls. Don't go the same path I went. If a man is behaving, well - creepy towards you, and by that I mean just staring at you, keeps sending you messages that make you feel unsafe, and so on, first of all, tell all of your friends about it and whatever it takes, don't go out alone, especially at night. Secondly, stalking is a crime. Every man and woman can go to LSPD station and say that they are feeling like they are being stalked. Finally, and I mean it to every single woman in this city, we all should take self-defence classes, at least know the basics, so we could know how to defend ourselves if something like this occurs. What's on your body may disappear. But what's going on inside my head... I can't describe it. I don't even know if I'm going to be able to be in a relationship ever again, and again, I don't even wish my worst enemy to go through it.

I just want the girls to know that it is okay to speak about self-defence and acknowledging them that they're strong individuals. We are capable of defending ourselves if we know how. And it can't be said anymore that we are "the weaker gender". It's not the 1800s, we live in 2019. That's all, be safe girls and remember my words.

What follows is the LSPD statement of the event, as given to us from the Media Relations Team at the LSPD.

We had calls of a bomb threat within the area of the ULSA area. We linked to identification and confirmed a visual of a male and female wearing devices. From all accounts, at this time, we were aware of the female being a possible hostage to the male and the male intended to marry her without the consent of the female. Our main priorities at the time, firstly, to move the crowds away from the scene and the safe retrieval of the female. Secondly, LSPD Crisis Negotiation teams attempted to reach through the male to attempt a peaceful solution to the situation. After many failed attempts, as the suspect started to become threatening and refused to work with us, as well as an evaluation of the device to be inconclusive from the distance. It was decided for the safety of the public and the officers on the scene to neutralize the suspect and quickly take the victim into the safe hands to the LSFD. We will always try and end the situation with the best possible way forward and the most peaceful way we can. However, our priority is, of course, the safety of the citizens of this city and we will always ensure we do so. 

Saints News would like to wish Sara a speedy recovery, as well as appealing for her privacy for herself and her close ones during this time. 

Kalani Jamil
Saints News

Please fill out our poll regarding government accountability.

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 2
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic