Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Nervous

Update 1.6 technical issues & rollback

Recommended Posts

Nervous    2364

I first want to apologize about this messy release. It was the most tested update as we left opened the test server for 2 months and had multiple testing sessions, however it seems that it wasn't enough.

 

We had to face multiple days of issues, from lags to crashes, and a save corruption that led us to rollback everyone's character of few hours today.

 

I take the entire blame for this technical failure, and things should now be more stable. We still need to re-enable tattoos visibility, and fix some small trucking bugs, but you should be able to play without much issues starting from today.

 

I'll be modifying our patch release process to prevent this from happening in the future, and we will most likely now work from small version to small version, each version including one feature and one only. The major versions (1.7, 1.8) will be incremented once all these smaller patches are released and we feel like we finished an important step.

 

So what does this mean? Our next updates will be 1.6.1, 1.6.2 which will for example includes chat groups for 1.6.1, forensic for 1.6.2.. And 1.7 the server will be renamed to 1.7 when we feel that we've released enough updates for 1.6.X.

Working on smaller updates but quicker releases (one every week or two weeks instead of one every 3 months) will allow us to not repeat these 3-4 days of unstability that you all experienced, and thus improve the overall server stability.

Edited by Nervous
  • Upvote 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Applaud 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way of one by one feature if I understood good. Quality over Quantity ?

Edited by ZgazenaMacka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coni    54

I don't know enough about the technical aspect to evaluate this properly so this is just my opinion and please don't stone me for it. 

 

My feeling however is that the server lost alot of general stability since the update. While I appreciate all efforts that are being made to progress the server from a feature standpoint, I'd personally rather enjoy a more stable server with less features than a feature packed server that crashes as often as it currently does. 

 

I personally would not mind waiting longer for features to happen when that is what's required to stabilize the server. 

 

This is in no way meant to down talk the efforts made or display missing appreciation for what is done though so please don't take it as that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mitch    195
6 minutes ago, Coni said:

I personally would not mind waiting longer for features to happen when that is what's required to stabilize the server. 

 

It's very hard to test features on a test server which gets about what, 30 testers at most, compared to the main server. So its kind of to be expected I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coni    54
20 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It's very hard to test features on a test server which gets about what, 30 testers at most, compared to the main server. So its kind of to be expected I guess

Well the Testserver should not be a donator feature then for a start (platinum at that). Maybe turn the whole strategy around and schedule certain days and times where people who participate on the Testserver for 2h+ get 5WP to their account. 

 

This way people don't have to pay to help the server and instead you motivate even those who only care about themselfes because - hey, free WP.

 

Also a nice way to help people get namechanges that can't simply afford them (in some countries the price of 50WP is a two week salary). 

Edited by Coni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous    2364
9 minutes ago, Coni said:

Well the Testserver should not be a donator feature then for a start (platinum at that). Maybe turn the whole strategy around and schedule certain days and times where people who participate on the Testserver for 2h+ get 5WP to their account. 

 

This way people don't have to pay to help the server and instead you motivate even those who only care about themselfes because - hey, free WP.

 

Also a nice way to help people get namechanges that can't simply afford them (in some countries the price of 50WP is a two week salary). 

The latest  crashes are sync optimizations, sorry to break it down but it must go in production as it cannot be tested on test server. I need 200 people online to see the synchronization change, and the multi threading involved will never break on a tests server with 40 or 50 players playing for an hour or two.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×