Panic Button Roleplay

Duke

14 minutes ago, Duke said:

They weren't always banned, as mentioned by SecuroServ's CEO previously. There seems to be a bit of a grey area surrounding this and confusion.

SecuroServ's CEO was told by an admin (I think FM) that they could roleplay panic alarms in businesses and homes, this has since been stopped. This thread is a fact finding mission in effect and to discuss why the decision was made to ban roleplaying "unscripted" panic alarms. It may well be it's simply because they're not scripted, but until FM replies we won't know.

SecuroServ was given false information by an admin who resigned. It was also done through DMs for w/e reason and was never actually forwarded to FM in any way shape or form by the handling admin. Literally everyone else was told this wasn't allowed by any and every other admin. 

It is powergaming. You're using something that does not exist in-game. It gives players a huge disadvantage when they are on the other side of the panic alarm. 

This is true. No one has influence over those panic buttons except for you which is a major issue. On top of that no one can track that info because it's in some private discord. The information is transferred through OOC platforms which server management hasn't approved. That weird discord chat you're using for panic alarms is not IC, nor will it ever be, meaning OOC info is used to influence IC events. If it stopped at passing over information it would just be MG (which is equally bad) but a string of actions which don't actually happen IG takes place after the person hits the alarm which is classified as PG, as Keane mentioned. 

I honestly don't see the need for this thread, there's a post in here which summarized exactly what you should be doing instead of having a general discussion about panic buttons:

@Duke @zaXer. All the effort put into that post could have gone into a suggestion thread, constituting a simple request for a panic button script on businesses which pings a list of phone numbers in-game. That took me ten seconds.

Having those panic alarms in some sort of private discord chat is no different from sending texts outside of the game or having a discord channel acting as a 'radio' outside of the game, two things which we crack down on heavily.

I'll be locking this discussion. If you want some sort of system to back the panic alarms up, simply post a suggestion about it. 

P.S: Someone asked how this is different to Facebrowser, stating we have double standards due to it, which:

1. Makes me a bit sad because the difference is something every player who passed the application should know 

and more importantly: 

2. FB is an IC platform which was approved by server management, unlike private discord channels which are clearly OOC platforms.  

• Applaud 1