Panic Button Roleplay

Duke

20 minutes ago, Duke said:

Does seem a bit silly to be using sport bikes to respond to panic alarms, each to their own though. Arguably motorbikes can lane split and get to a property quicker than a conventional 4x4. 

Yep, would prevention include security companies attending incidents at their clients' addresses do you think? 

I'd say it's up to the company and the employees to use their prerogative if they want to put themselves into harms way to stop a robbery. 

The thing is that these companies that do security systems and panic buttons typically aren't responding themselves. They coordinate with police and try to contact you. That's something that could've been facilitated. 

7 minutes ago, Keane said:

For the record I haven't heard of any Faction Management decisions on this as I am in another subteam. I had no input on a decision if there was one made. I will however give my opinion on the topic based on what I know.

There isn't any scripted panic alarm system, so it falls under the powergaming rule. All of the involved parties have to agree to anything that does not exist scriptwise to be used. It's like me roleplaying a gun that I do not actually have. If there was a command and script support for panic alarms it would be fine. Inventory items using /createitem don't count. I'll use the gun example again. I can't /createitem a gun and use it to RP shooting people.

The method SecuroServ was using falls under metagaming too. Each panic alarm was posted in a Discord channel. Discord is completely OOC so each person responding to the panic alarm and posting in the channel should have technically been ajailed for metagaming. The only approved IC Discord channels are pagers for the LSPD and the LSFD. Unless you have approval from FM and admin supervision, IC Discord channels should not exist. 

I recommend making a suggestion in the appropriate forum to get a proper panic alarm system in place that is fair for all players involved.

Discord gets used for record keeping because the game itself doesn't do it and if it were it'd probably be a clunky & bloated CEF system. Examples: Time clocks for companies are something that shouldn't be considered metagame that are put on discord channels so employees know who worked and when. 

3 minutes ago, Duke said:

I'm sure police officers use panic buttons on their radios when in danger, although not scripted or existent script-wise they are still allowed to do so because we know that police-issued radios have panic buttons on them in real life, we have to make exceptions where the scripting hasn't caught up. to avoid powergaming all together the panic button could be RPly pressed and the thief asked in /do if anything would prevent that. 

Therein lies the difference -- PD/FD do have a scripted panic button. If it wasn't, then they also could not; and when it wasn't, they did not.

5 minutes ago, Exploits said:

Therein lies the difference -- PD/FD do have a scripted panic button. If it wasn't, then they also could not; and when it wasn't, they did not.

Oh, do they? 

I was in FD and was never aware of one. 

Just now, Exploits said:

To be fair, I've never seen it used. But it's there on the /faction menu, and there's the /panic command to trigger it through the chatbox.

Just now, Mitch said:

FD never had the command, only pd did 

Interesting, if this is the case and FM merely want it scripted properly instead of work-arounds I'd understand, but I think it's more than that. 

Edited by Duke
26 minutes ago, Duke said:

SecuroServ would also use a dedicated radio channel for customers to relay panic alarms in game. I don't think it's fair to say using something not scripted can be perceived as powergaming, although that's a minor technicality in this case and pushing a panic button doesn't force any RP onto the character robbing the store in the same way RPing shooting them with a non-existent gun would. 

It is powergaming. You're using something that does not exist in-game. It gives players a huge disadvantage when they are on the other side of the panic alarm. 

26 minutes ago, Duke said:

I'm sure police officers use panic buttons on their radios when in danger, although not scripted or existent script-wise they are still allowed to do so because we know that police-issued radios have panic buttons on them in real life, we have to make exceptions where the scripting hasn't caught up. to avoid powergaming all together the panic button could be RPly pressed and the thief asked in /do if anything would prevent that. 

Police officers have panic alarms because they have script support for it. 

4 minutes ago, Duke said:

Interesting, if this is the case and FM merely want it scripted properly instead of work-arounds I'd understand, but I think it's more than that. 

If you think there's more to it, why not try contacting FM directly about it?

11 minutes ago, Keane said:

It is powergaming. You're using something that does not exist in-game. It gives players a huge disadvantage when they are on the other side of the panic alarm. 

Police officers have panic alarms because they have script support for it. 

If you think there's more to it, why not try contacting FM directly about it?

Yep, didn't realise PD had scripted panic buttons. 

Wholeheartedly agree, I tagged FM in the thread, it's nice to have transparent dialogue and heed others' opinions. This way everyone wanting to do security RP or are just interested can see. 

13 minutes ago, Exploits said:

What are you saying, then?

If FM have no other issues with it except it's not scripted I'll make a suggestion for it to be scripted.

Edited by Duke
1 hour ago, Keane said:

For the record I haven't heard of any Faction Management decisions on this as I am in another subteam. I had no input on a decision if there was one made. I will however give my opinion on the topic based on what I know.

There isn't any scripted panic alarm system, so it falls under the powergaming rule. All of the involved parties have to agree to anything that does not exist scriptwise to be used. It's like me roleplaying a gun that I do not actually have. If there was a command and script support for panic alarms it would be fine. Inventory items using /createitem don't count. I'll use the gun example again. I can't /createitem a gun and use it to RP shooting people.

The method SecuroServ was using falls under metagaming too. Each panic alarm was posted in a Discord channel. Discord is completely OOC so each person responding to the panic alarm and posting in the channel should have technically been ajailed for metagaming. The only approved IC Discord channels are pagers for the LSPD and the LSFD. Unless you have approval from FM and admin supervision, IC Discord channels should not exist. 

I recommend making a suggestion in the appropriate forum to get a proper panic alarm system in place that is fair for all players involved.

Speaking as the now ex-leader of SecuroServ, our clients had an in-game radio frequency that they used to transmit their panic buttons. We had a bot on discord that if the business/faction we are securing, there'd be a bot that saves the exact time and date that the panic button was transmitted, to save it as logs of what and when,  I wouldnt call that metagaming. Our handbook had written 5 times in bold that response based on discord is not allowed. Regardless, the in-game radio transmittion is always there. It looks better than /r HELP IM BEING ROBBED, isn't it?

What does /createitem don't count smean? If a 24/7 sells me a food box, am I not allowed to RP eating it, or give it to someone else to eat? Wasn't that the whole idea of the command?

We've contacted FM multiple times in the past, and we were given permission to roleplay it. Though it didnt come from who it should have. And that's nothing I can know, since I am not a part of the staff team. I get an answer from an admin, and I go by it. I've been contacting FM since a month now and the discussion goes slow, and I have never complained about it and I still do not, because I understand that FM has other stuff to deal with as well. You're showing us as if we started doing all the stuff on our own and had no interest in discussing with FM, which is not true.

1 hour ago, JustAnM43 said:

From what I've seen, SecuroServ had panic buttons in garages and they had, hear this. Motorcycle Response Units. Dudes on sport bikes running around responding to panic alarms which is fucking dumb. I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons why the panic button thing got shut down.

Other than that, I don't see how the panic button system hurt anyone. Should have stayed. That's my two cents on it.

Sports Bikes? The Hakuchou is a sport bike yeah, together with the Bati, Akuma and so on. We used a PCJ600, which is one of the slowest bikes around in stock form. It's not a sports bike either, but a tourer/basic motorycle.

Motorcade.png.dcbe21d089d6cfd61dec0abcfeb6bc5e.png

PSG-23.thumb.jpg.ee59e6af7aa7d3c2b5f0b4d360907dce.jpg

What IS unrealistic about that? How is it dumb? I can take you more photos IRL, by going to my job headquarters and take you as much photos of the bikes you want. I live in a third world country in the Balkans, our stuff here is on a much lower level than in the USA, so I can only imagine how more advanced it is in the US.

What's the issue in panic buttons in garages as well? I can name you about 250 properties IRL that we have in my home town, which are mechanic shops, bodywork, engines, etc that we protect. Think about how much does a mechanic garage equipment cost, and maybe you'll agree with me that guarding garages is much more valuable than an office.

I'll give a very basic explanation of how stuff works -

Client uses their panic button to transmit a /r signal with it. The panic button, transmitter, control panel and all other items installation for a property alarm is documented by the installer technician and sent to me, for evidence may is it needed in the future. The items are created and put in the corresponding property inventory if possible (dim0 biz such as 24/7 have no inventories), so admins can check if needed. Our units are given a handheld radio and all responder vehicles have tablets in them which work the following;

The radio emits a long, loud beep signal upon a panic button or alarm received. This attracts the guard's attention to their vehicle tablet, may is he out of the car. The tablet shows basic information - the name of the property.

We DO NOT use our panic buttons and do /pm hey i pressed the panic button come please, or use Discord to to do it, but a scripted feature, the /r, with a transmittion similar to - /r *A panic button has been pressed at Davis LTD*. That transmission is visible to everyone around, so I dont see what's unfair about it. It's the same as /r help.

All of this above, for what? To provide a good roleplay scene for such activites. I could've just made it so our clients scream in /r help me theres a guy in my house with a gun, fast fast . That's total shit roleplay though and I thought that our roleplay to make stuff look more realistic is not hurting to anyone, is it? 

Our technicians also roleplayed going around radio towers, servicing our radio comms, making sure they work properly, etc, etc.

We got banned from roleplaying that. That's understandable, and I get Server Management and Faction Management's vision of stuff. The faction was not admin-shut down, but I decided to discontinue it as what I was left with was not enough to provide a good experience for anyone. 

My technician team turns absolutely useless after this, since panic buttons and systems no longer exist.

This leaves the only option to make the company continue - give out radios to clients to scream in if they need help. Again, that's shit roleplay and that's not the idea of the faction, which has been around since January, has had over 80 members total and currently lastly had about 28-30-ish.

Writing off panic buttons due to both reasons above, we're left with guarding clubs and people. Since January, we've provided private security for 1 person, done 0 armored transports, or anything similar. The server playerbase simply isnt interested in such stuff, however we continued offering them may some one need it.

This totally leaves us to only roleplay guarding clubs, which is not the main idea of this faction.

How do I know how systems, panic buttons, etc work? I work in a company like that IRL. We have much more perks IRL than IG, and I've intentionally not added them all so we are left in a fair environment where our guards have a quite high chance of losing.

Edited by zaXer.