NPC's in Los Santos

MkLvn

2 minutes ago, PandaGaming said:

It's already suggested and probably will get suggested in the future.

I don't know why it's in this section and not under "suggestions", but it's a BIG NO from me.

Ruins the realism and weird as ****

1. This isn't a suggestion. I was asking about the rule and whether or not it pertained to the screenshot provided.
2. If you think roleplaying is weird as fuck I'm not sure why you're on the server and/or your roleplay is probably garbage. It's more realistic to acknowledge that somebody would be working in the store, far less realistic to walk in like it's an honor system and just buy items from an interactive menu. 

3. If any of your characters have a background story, you just used NPC's to enhance your roleplay lol. 

Edited by MkLvn
Just now, M52B28 said:

i am' thinking it would make my Pc lag and freeze

my vote: No

read the post before replying. nothing to do with coding a bunch of npcs walking around.

On that note- could an admin L&A this? My question was answered in the second reply and half of this thread is just people that aren't aware of what the initial post even was.

Edited by MkLvn
50 minutes ago, MkLvn said:

In my case, not allowing me to roleplay the NPC would not be reason enough to break my immersion and travel across the city just to buy cigarettes and roleplay with a player owned store. My character is a 14 year old from the ghetto and troubled youths getting involved in gangs rarely leave their neighborhood much less travel across the city for any reason whatsoever, let alone just to get cigarettes.

This all comes back to adding depth to roleplay. Not forcing someone to break immersion just to roleplay with a real person halfway across the city.

It doesn't 'add depth to role-play', though. You added depth to your own role-play, but you could do the same by sitting in an empty house and NPC'ing a family. I know that's not what you did, but the effect is the same. It's also not going to 'break immersion' for your character to reconcile with the fact that you live in a poverty-stricken area that rarely (or never) has convenience stores open nearby. You could have very easily role-played being pissed off around other players about the fact that you can't access cigarettes at any local shops. Perhaps even asked others to go out of their way to buy cigarettes for you.

The issue you're running into isn't that you couldn't role-play NPC's: yours is that you couldn't role-play a very specific set of interactions due to choices you've already self-imposed on yourself and your character. You then turned to NPC's to scratch that itch. Were you more flexible, you could have used those limitations to generate and participate in role-play with others, but you did not.

If you're going to compare the server to real-life, then you're going to frequently find yourself very disappointed.

Excuse the others, also. The last patch reveal showed the introduction of actual NPC's (like in single-player). I don't know why they think there's even a discussion about that subject, since it's already been decided upon anyway.

Edited by Exploits
9 hours ago, McCatalyst said:

You're overthinking.

NPCs are at the core of every characters story. Might as well ban most characters which which have stories describing life before Los Santos according to your logic. Nobody RPed your mother, nobody RPed your father, nobody RPed your teacher... but your character is here and has had those interactions and even still do. What I'm saying there's a border to which NPCs are to be RPed. If you ignore this border, you're breaking common sense rules and powergame rules and so on. You probably shouldn't RP NPCs in public spaces but calling your NPC grandma for some exposition and character development is a great idea.

Don't look for problem where there isn't one. I've been called out on RPing NPCs for passive experience and in return I call those people out for driving a 200 k car without a house or a job.

chill out. I said I agree and yes your point is perfect.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Exploits said:

This isn't a feast-or-famine scenario. As the core of my argument states, the main issue I have is that turning to NPC role-play pulls it from somebody else who would otherwise be willing and able to participate. There's still plenty of other things you can role-play -- such as role-playing that stores are currently closed and you're still in need of the item, doing so at a later time.

So ... like powergaming.

The fact that this is not feast-or-famine scenario is why this player shouldn't be vindicated for.

In his case he even made RP for his group.

No, I wouldn't consider going to NPC rather than to driver across the whole city to Vinewood for pack of cigarettes and altercation "Powergame".Going to Vinewood cause of pack of cigarettes is what I'd consider poor portrayal of hood character.

He established to his character that the said person(friend) is a local and known among residents. In the process someone else could've come along and asked about this influential  friend and there you have it a chain reaction of RP delivered rather than withheld. Dynamic RP created from passive RP. In a much better environment because of the NPC RP. I'd give props to making new acquaintances this way rather than club and want to buy some drugs way.

Edited by McCatalyst

19 hours ago, MkLvn said:

On that note- could an admin L&A this? My question was answered in the second reply and half of this thread is just people that aren't aware of what the initial post even was.

L&A

• Robyn locked this topic