NPC's in Los Santos

MkLvn

So I'm fairly new to GTA W and I recently learned that it's against the rules to roleplay for an NPC. I'd understand this in the context of preventing a player from benefiting themselves by abusing an NPC but to simply add depth to roleplay it's still not allowed on this server? Seems a bit odd to me and I was just hoping someone could clear up why that is a rule and/or if there is a boundary between using NPC roleplay to add depth and using an NPC to benefit your character.

My example is below- I was told this was against the server's rules and that seems lame as hell to me in all honesty ? I've done a lot of street gang / hood roleplay and roleplaying that a specific NPC(s) works at a store has always been a fun little thing to do to add depth.

Spoiler

20190624185108_1.jpg.367c1e69a81e3f354a816fedab210b97.jpg

Its 100% player controlled for immersion reasons. Think about it this way: if NPCs were driving around for example. If you crash head on into the front of an NPC, but they dont die, you are to RP damage and injuries. NPCs would just drive off, breaking immersion. That is but one example. 

Are you kidding me? This is great.

The only time an NPC becomes an issue is when it's used as an accessory to metagame or powergame--as long as everyone involved is aware. You going in to a convenience store and aggravating a clerk, or me ordering a meal from a stoned minimum-wage teenager at the Horny's drive thru, doesn't directly affect anyone, or at least in a bad way. You and a friend, or even a group, doing something similar is all well and good until it infringes on information and/or actions that are beyond your reach as a narrator, or play things out in a way that could be interpreted as unfair. It's one thing to get a package from a pretend delivery driver, or to tell off the manager at a bank for a loan you didn't qualify for, but to say an NPC knows where someone is when no one else would know, or to have an NPC apprehend, injure or kill someone because you said they would? That's where the line is drawn.

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, Skip said:

Are you kidding me? This is great.

The only time an NPC becomes an issue is when it's used as an accessory to metagame or powergame--as long as everyone involved is aware. You going in to a convenience store and aggravating a clerk, or me ordering a meal from a stoned minimum-wage teenager at the Horny's drive thru, doesn't directly affect anyone, or at least in a bad way. You and a friend, or even a group, doing something similar is all well and good until it infringes on information and/or actions that are beyond your reach as a narrator, or play things out in a way that could be interpreted as unfair. It's one thing to get a package from a pretend delivery driver, or to tell off the manager at a bank for a loan you didn't qualify for, but to say an NPC knows where someone is when no one else would know, or to have an NPC apprehend, injure or kill someone because you said they would? That's where the line is drawn.

exactly the answer I was hoping for. I was told even rping an NPC in the screen i posted above is against the rules. Thanks bro!! 

• Upvote 1

People didn't read your post and think you're suggesting adding in NPCs to roam the streets like other clients have. What you've done is fine. It's between you and another fictional human. Nobody outside the situation was harmed. I don't see the issue...

If you used that NPC to your benefit then it's powergame. But you did not. No harm no foul!

26 minutes ago, Chef said:

People didn't read your post and think you're suggesting adding in NPCs to roam the streets like other clients have. What you've done is fine. It's between you and another fictional human. Nobody outside the situation was harmed. I don't see the issue...

If you used that NPC to your benefit then it's powergame. But you did not. No harm no foul!

Thanks old friend that doesn’t respond in discord 

• Robyn locked this topic