HD Universe and you.

Engelbert

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time. For all we know the Grand Theft Auto is somewhat tragic comedy paroding the real life organized crime slash conspiracy stuff. Actual definitions aside, I myself watched many people roleplay around, one thing struck me though, not many of us treat GTA for what it is. I seen people ordering Heineken in bars, people admiring a Range Rover, aiming at you with Beretta 92 and other stuff. Grand theft universe already has it's brands, gang turfs and general setting, yet not many people pay attention to that. So I am curious what's your take on this?

• Upvote 1

We're currently working on the server's continuity, meaning we're establishing what exists and doesn't in the universe.

We we're done, players will have to follow a single version of the states we have in the US, the car/alcohol brands we have, etc etc... 

@mother_superior is currently working on continuity along with me if you have any questions about our upcoming plans. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know why there needs to be a set 'continuity' to be honest, it worked on top tier role play servers on SA:MP and other games for ages like this, I don't know why do people even care if I'm driving a Mustang and drinking a Corona or driving a Buffalo and drinking a Logger ?‍♂️

OT: I RP RL models with GTA models used as a hint (When pulling someone over if I'm a cop or when searching for a car over adverts.) 

Edited by Brian
4 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don't know why there needs to be a set 'continuity' to be honest, it worked on top tier role play servers on SA:MP and other games for ages like this, I don't know why do people even care if I'm driving a Mustang and drinking a Corona or driving a Buffalo and drinking a Logger ?‍♂️

OT: I RP RL models with GTA models used as a hint (When pulling someone over if I'm a cop or when searching for a car over adverts.) 

We want to avoid different people defining the same car as different models. 

On top of that, we have the never ending argument on where the hell San Andreas is located on the map. Some people replaced California with it, some say it's another west coast state, some say it's an island.

The list goes on and can touch anything from weather to what you drink IG. 

Other servers not having continuity doesn't mean it's a bad thing, if what it's a good thing which they're lacking. 

• Upvote 1

I do agree on those points partially, mainly on San Andreas / California situation, where you have a decent amount of players saying we're role-playing on an off shore island God knows where to the west of the United States n' the other half is saying we're in the middle of the renamed California n Sacramento is driving distance away. 

Other servers lacking continuity can be a bad n' a good thing, depending how you look at it, but having a set continuity can be (and is) beneficial in some cases (California example). I'm honestly split on it n' it doesn't matter much to me will I RP drinking a Corona or call my car a Mustang, Dominator or whatever it might be, but the main reasons I hate 'forcing' GTA-lore on players through a set of rules are:

1) Limiting the creativity and possible role play scenarios players can do without the said rule-set. 

2) GTA lore is heavily influenced by copyright (cars n' drinks n' whatnot) and is made as a sarcastic representation/alternative to real life based cars/drinks/phones. Main example I can list on top of my head is pisswaser and Ubermatch (Supremacy), going from the stereotype/meme that BMW drivers are 'superior' from other car drivers etc. 

In the end, there's more than a few ideas I, as a normal player have to get around my first concern, but in the end, a majority of players won't care is their car named a Ford or Vapid or whatever. 

Excuse spelling, grammar and all kinds of mistakes, I'm typing this on my phone n' it's a pain in the ass, also there might be bad wording in some sentences, again, phone. 

Edited by Brian
3 hours ago, Ethanol said:

We're currently working on the server's continuity, meaning we're establishing what exists and doesn't in the universe.

We we're done, players will have to follow a single version of the states we have in the US, the car/alcohol brands we have, etc etc... 

@mother_superior is currently working on continuity along with me if you have any questions about our upcoming plans. 

Suggestion for you guys: I've always hated that things are roleplayed as everything on the map is solely what's "in state." I recommend that we say San Andreas as a state is much larger on an IC basis than just the island, in that manner people can establish that their characters are from analogues to real-life locations in California. For example, we make a fictional analogue for San Francisco in San Fierro, a fictional analogue for Orange County with Red County, etc. A state with two counties is somewhat unrealistic. Even the smallest US state, Rhode Island, has like 4-5.

These places would "exist" off-map on some larger mainland.

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Ethanol said:

We want to avoid different people defining the same car as different models. 

On top of that, we have the never ending argument on where the hell San Andreas is located on the map. Some people replaced California with it, some say it's another west coast state, some say it's an island.

The list goes on and can touch anything from weather to what you drink IG. 

Other servers not having continuity doesn't mean it's a bad thing, if what it's a good thing which they're lacking. 

Technically San Andreas IS simplified California with additions of San Fierro (San Francisco) and Las Venturas (Las Vegas), but shouldn't be treated as such, cities like Los Angeles, Miami, New York were only used as templates and nothing more. In GTA everything is done to resemble it's real counterpart, but not to behave like that. An example would be Ubermacht Sentinel XS which is technically BMW M3, but unlike M3 the XS is quite a crap.

I personally tend to compare roleplaying in games to MtG Deckmaster. Where you are given a range of cards you can pick from, but nothing else. For me personally it doesn't matter how many options you have, but how you play those that are avaliable.

Edited by Engelbert

We have a massive lore in GTA V, let it be alcohol, phone brands, vehicles, clothes and everything else. I personally hate when people use IRL brands. It just looks silly in my opinion when people use real life brands when there's so much shit you can use to aid your roleplay and development using the GTA V lore. I personally use GTA V lore as it makes the most sense to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Perky locked this topic