Why are phone numbers now 8 digits instead of 7?

Skip

Coming back from a three month hiatus and discovering all the new UI goodies was great until I purchased a burner phone and... got an 8 digit number.

Do we live in Hong Kong? What was the justification for attaching an extra number when, with roughly ~35,000 registered users, there still exist inexhaustible combinations?

This is as much an issue with 'immersion' as it is a pain in the ass--it'd ironically make more sense to go ahead and make it 1+9 digits and have an area and country code. I understand that we live in simulacrum, not a simulation, of life in Los Angeles, but not only does it destroy the illusion I live in the United States every time I call a number or receive a text (or SMS if you prefer), I'm also fucking up every single contact I've added with the new 8-digit numbers because there's one extra. So, what gives?

Lol i honestly haven't found it to be that big of a deal and it surely isn't something i've noticed until now, but now that i think about it numbers should be 10 digits long not 8 and not 9 because US phone numbers are traditionally 10 digits long.

I assumed this was something just done automatically by the server. Thought it was weird since there are so many more combinations it could use before jumping an extra digit, but it didn't seem like a huge immersion problem..

It didn't mess any of  my contacts up either, since some people have 4 digit numbers, 6 digit numbers, etc, & the server accounts for that.

How'd it mess up yours?

3 hours ago, m1m1m1 said:

There's literally 0 reason to complain about this.

But I'm doing it anyway, coward.

3 hours ago, Havana said:

I assumed this was something just done automatically by the server. Thought it was weird since there are so many more combinations it could use before jumping an extra digit, but it didn't seem like a huge immersion problem..

It didn't mess any of  my contacts up either, since some people have 4 digit numbers, 6 digit numbers, etc, & the server accounts for that.

How'd it mess up yours?

So it's just like a weird column drop in the server mechanics? That'd answer my question succinctly.

It's not a big enough problem to warrant fixing if it's more than a line of code; but US phone numbers are 7 digits, 10 with an area code (which is unnecessary on such a small server). Eight digits makes it very obvious that we are no living in America. That's why it's fucking me up: I'm expecting 7 numbers and hearing 8.

Edited by Skip

It was something done by me when I reworked the phone system several months ago, and honestly I'd never actually thought of it - the way values were stored had to be changed completely. If this is a big enough issue I can revert it so that purchased phones are generated with a 7 digit number.