Jail Time Reform

iAMTemple

Short description:

I've come to the realization as to why there seem to be so many crimes with little disregard. When you get jailed or jail someone, their timer continues rolling even though they are not signed in. This is a simple suggestion which enforces players to be logged in to serve their jail time.

Detailed description:

As the short description stated, there seems to be little consequence for criminals on the server. You can easily log out when you get jailed or switch to another character and let time roll by as they wait for their sentence to complete. This leads to players basically having no regards for their crimes because they know they can just log off or switch to an alternative character and wait for their sentence to be served. To approach this, I suggest that the timer stops once they log out and resume when they're online. This will make players think TWICE before committing a crime or at least deter them from doing so, slightly.

As a police officer and criminal (on my other end), I'm personally tired of seeing newcomers or even some seasoned players commit crimes with an unrealistic rap sheet and free to roam around the streets like nothing ever happened, 45 minutes later.

Commands to add:

N/A

Items to add:

N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Will improve the QOL of the server in terms of the way criminals act by issuing proper punishment for their crimes. It will improve the realism and provide time for their characters to think about their crime, hence, lowering the unrealistic amount of shootings and murder. Forcing people to be logged in will definitely create some interesting roleplay for both criminals and police - Criminals because of the diversity and police will now have something else to do, guard the cells.

Additional information:

N/A

Edited by iAMTemple
  • Upvote 1

Im 50/50 on this, I've done quite a bit of jail lately and it's really a miniban.. Cause there is no one around to rp with inside.. So its nice I can log or go on an alt BUT.. if others can't log out maybe it would make some rp. Myself, I'd happily hang out in jail if there was rp there. I did 5 and a half hours of a 7 hour jail and saw 2 people. 1 cop, 1 other who logged.. I tried to keep my own rp going but it was hard..and later at night. I don't love or hate this.

• Upvote 1
Just now, cryybabyycryy said:

Im 50/50 on this, I've done quite a bit of jail lately and it's really a miniban.. Cause there is no one around to rp with inside.. So its nice I can log or go on an alt BUT.. if others can't log out maybe it would make some rp. Myself, I'd happily hang out in jail if there was rp there. I did 5 and a half hours of a 7 hour jail and saw 2 people. 1 cop, 1 other who logged.. I tried to keep my own rp going but it was hard..and later at night. I don't love or hate this.

Yeah forcing people to be logged in will definitely create some interesting roleplay for both criminals and police - Criminals because of the diversity and police will now have something else to do, guard the cells.

It wouldn't make sense to force people to be logged in to get their jail time reduced as long as there is no actual prison scripted.

There's literally zero RP in jail right now, I do not support this.

Edited by 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
9 minutes ago, 1 said:

There's literally zero RP in jail right now

That's because people just log off. If you put multiple persons in cells with police guarding them, it'll essentially create roleplay. I do agree that a prison system needs to be put in place.

3 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

which is why the time spent in jail for crimes is reduced as well.

It doesn't make sense to reduce jail times if people can log off. It would be the contrary. Reduced times would be fit (IF) there was a prison system in place, whereas times should be increased if the player has the ability to log off. Just like admin jail, what's the point when most people get admin jailed when they're offline and sometimes don't even know they were a-jailed.

Just now, iAMTemple said:

That's because people just log off. If you put multiple persons in cells with police guarding them, it'll essentially create roleplay. I do agree that a prison system needs to be put in place.

It doesn't make sense to reduce jail times if people can log off. It would be the contrary. Reduced times would be fit (IF) there was a prison system in place, whereas times should be increased if the player has the ability to log off. Just like admin jail, what's the point when most people get admin jailed when they're offline and sometimes don't even know they were a-jailed.

admin jails do not count when offline, only online.

Just now, zaXer. said:

admin jails do not count when offline, only online.

Nope, they definitely count when offline. As to if they fixed this, maybe one of the devs can confirm. But from what I recall, I was admin jailed once and I never served because I was offline.

24 minutes ago, iAMTemple said:

Nope, they definitely count when offline. As to if they fixed this, maybe one of the devs can confirm. But from what I recall, I was admin jailed once and I never served because I was offline.

I've questioned admins a few weeks ago and they said that admin jail doesnt count offline

I don't support it. Even as a PD member, I've imprisoned people for up to 380 hours and in no way want to put someone through that. If they've got to stay in-game to equivalent of two weeks during their stay, I wouldn't not be surprised if they just opted to CK their character or just sat there AFK to go through the timer, the same applies if it was just a week or a few days.

I believe that most of the issues relating to the jail time system we currently have in place will hopefully be alleviated with the introduction of the DOC, but we all just have to wait and see to how that pans out.

Edited by Ylva
  • Upvote 1