Jail Time Reform

iAMTemple

It should be changed at least so they have to spend 50% of their jail time in-game for the offline counter to even start running, this way there'll be less crime with disregard and people actually have to think about doing a crime before they do it. 

Has there been any recent news with a DOC script & prison mapping? I would assume it would be up there on the priority list with the crime rate and player base raising.

I do agree that disabling time reduction while offline would create more role play.. but i feel it doesn't exempt all problems completely, as one lies in the limited role play that a player can create while they're forced to sit in a 6x8 cell.. whereas prison role play consists of a larger interior allowing the player free access to roam, yard time, creating cliques and such would make things much more intriguing thus make more sense for this.

As people are saying above... hell no. No one in there right mind would bother staying on a server if they gotta spend even 24 hours in a jail cell on a GAME. It's pointless and unnecessary, If anything things should just be tightened up on the rules regarding shitty RPed robberies, even with the fact that people go back to a scene of a mass shootout just to collect whats on players bodies.

Added: Most of the current returns to loot the bodies are beyond unrealistic, they are completely disregarding that cops could be on the way and them looting the body makes 0 sense. People currently loot MULTIPLE bodies in the middle of a street after a big shootout. Where is the realism... it's p2w. The jail time isn't the issue, the poor roleplay skills is the issue.

Edited by WirelessMind
  • Upvote 1

If you want to increase jail times, then there needs to be a revamp on the entire jail-system.

Right now? You sit in a cell doing nothing for hours. There is no meal time, no recreational time, no workout areas, no reading/tv rooms, no showers - nothing. If we do want a realistic representation on reprecussions, then we must first achieve a realistic depiction of the environment to sustain such punishments.

If we increase jail terms from weeks>months then we need to make an ecosystem revolving around a prison, not only will this provide enjoyable RP for players? It'll make the time go pass without making it seem like an OOC chore. People can still RP in the prison. This will require a considerable amount of effort from the tech team/PM team and admins to introduce such a huge change both mechanically and RPly - but if you want stricter jail terms, I think this is a crucial prerequisite.

• Upvote 3

Maybe when the DoC comes in with a proper prison, yes. But for now, if you jail someone for 20 hours, it'll suck for them since they'll be forced to AFK for 20 hours most of the time. And even if they RP, there's so much u can RP being in a cell 24/7 which is also quite unrealistic. Plus some people don't have a lot of freetime, if they play 1-2 hours daily, or even less than daily. These people would sit out prison sentences for days/weeks, depending on their activity. And I doubt someone who plays like an hour daily wants to spend nearly 4 weeks for a murder charge, they'd probably either abandon the character or get demotivated.

I believe this suggestion is already concluded in THIS suggestion. The suggestion names aren't related, but the core values of it are the same. Basically to ensure people think before acting when doing crime. Considering how the punishment by law is so easy on current criminals that people who commit murder repeatedly and get punished for it, will do it 10/10 again because they can simply log off and eat some dinner and hang out with their friends and return and they're out of jail and can repeat their offense. And now this is murder as an example but there's other heavy crimes people just get a few hours for that they sit out while offline. 

And the conclusion of the suggestion thread I linked above was that we'll have to wait for Department of Corrections to be added before anything of the sort of suggestions like this thread can be adjusted accordingly. Why? We're a roleplay server, that means it wouldn't be very roleplay friendly if we locked people up in a 2x2 jail cell for 20 hours or beyond and force them to sit it out while online. Now one would argue that if you give everyone higher jail sentences and force them to stay online during it that roleplay will eventually happen in jail, which is entirely true. For a fact I've had some fun roleplay in jail before on one of my characters. But the current jail system is still not a very roleplay friendly enviroment because it are cells seperated from one another and people cannot really move freely, which limits you in your roleplay greatly.

Once the department of corrections is there, people will be able to interact with guards for the prison, there may even be prison gangs willing to just roleplay strictly in jail. You have the roleplay of people being able to visit you in jail, you'll have the roleplay of being able to do exercise or whatever else prisoners do on the prison courtyard. But until that is a thing, I don't see the point of suggestions like these. - BUT. Once Department of Corrections is actually implemented, whenever that might be, then I'd fully support this because jail sentences need to be longer, and people who are repeated offenders need to be punished harder. And repeated murderers, should be forced to choose between CK or permanent jailtime if they care caught.

• Upvote 1

The current prison times are adjusted to fit the time spent inside a station jail, therefore they are so low. Once the Department of Correction comes (god knows when), then the jail times will be upped again. That is what has been said multiple times by administrators on this subject.

• Upvote 2
On 6/11/2019 at 3:31 AM, Westen said:

I once arrested someone for over five real life days. If they had to spend 120 hours of their life sat in that cell doing nothing, then I would not blame them for quitting the server.

Exactly, I honestly do not support this, there's no DoC system in place to even house a proper Prison at the moment so people just log. Forcing people to be online is equal to admin-jail time in my honest opinion, It's the character who was punished not the Player, don't make Jail time a Punishment for the Player. I understand the Admin-Jail timer not going down when you are offline but regular IC Jail should be left as is at least until DoC is made (if at all it is planned).