How do you roleplay in character combat situations

Blince

Such as, for example, beginning a fist fight or making use of a gun. I am aware of the rule that there are none toggle-able weapons that require an emote, such as a bat or equivalently sized gun, but I mean more for when things happen.

Do I just begin shooting after whatever RP has lead up to my character wanting to shoot? Does the game just turn to GTA online at that point with no one giving grace for emotes? I come from a background that had no manner of dealing with such injuries and the like, and with the RP being simply text, so descriptions and advice of how this is / should be handled would be great.

In my opinion, it is very situational. If I am 1v1 with no cover or anything, it is pretty much shoot and when the other person is downed, you roleplay and do what necessary. When I am for example near a point of cover which I can shelter behind, I have time to roleplay and do a few lines if necessary. When I respond to a scene as a police officer, I also have more time to create an emote since I am not directly fired upon.

I feel like it depends on the situation. If you have time to do a line without being downed immediately, go for it but if you are 1v1 and there is no time to create a /line otherwise you are killed, then do it afterwards.

I've been involved in 3 fights while playing GTA:W and I've lost all 3 because I tried to RP the initial part while the other guy has gone straight for the left-click. I can kinda let the first time slide, because the guy did RP the first move (hit me with a beer bottle), but the moment I RPed being hit he spam-punched me unconscious. The second and third times I was just stabbed/batted instantly with no RP at all. I had a firearm on me all 3 times, too, but I never got a chance to use it cos I chose to RP rather than ass-pull.

So now I'm in a dilemma about what I'm gonna do next time I'm in that situation. It's clear to me that I can't RP and have any hope of it being a fair fight. So what am I gonna do? I honestly think if I see a fight is even possibly going to start, I'm gonna pull my weapon and click-click-click.

I know that it's bad RP, and I'm concerned that I'll get a report made about it. And what will my excuse be? I've tried RPing before and it didn't work, so this time I thought fuck it? Then I get a warning and possibly even a ban.

The only positive to come out of all this is that both I and my character are genuinely afraid of getting into fights. And I avoid them at all costs.

I normally just follow the whole thing, mirror people's way of doing things, normally someone throws a /me saying "X punches Y", if they start leftclicking then I do the same, if they go for /me then I follow. Ideally I'd roll a dice for initiative if we're gonna RP through it, and agree to use one thing or another beforehand.

In regards to shooting, what I do is /me draws a gun, give like 30 or 40 seconds of grace and then start shooting if I have the RP initiative. I've used a weapon like 2 times in 2 years and yet I am clueless on how to approach such situation in a fairer way. I don't even know if it's fair to do that or if fairness really should play a role in a situation like that.