Realistic Vehicles - Pricing Points

Whether a vehicle is "better" at evading police or not should not influence the price. Going with this logic, motorcycles and scooters should be the most expensive vehicles to buy, since they virtually are unstoppable unless you gravely endanger the rider of one.

Now the arguments for the classic versions of some cars, as the name indicates it's a classic and while it may not be an old timer my earlier argument for why these cars should be more expensive still is the most realistic approach. If you find a vehicle of an older generation that is highly sought after, you have to pay more than premium to buy it in pristine condition, otherwise you are mostly left with a piece of junk that requires years of dedication to restore.

A sensible price point can be sought by factoring in different things, as iterated above by Ribsey, Conway and I.

Edited by Marcus.
On 6/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, Ribsey said:

Cars and their portrayal have been an ongoing issue for a while. People clearly have no knowledge of what they're talking about and get caught up using game terms such as "maxed out" and vague "upgraded transmission, brakes and engine" when speaking of their cars to others. These aren't phrases anybody in the real world would usually say, regardless of their knowledge of cars. Real life experience of even owning a car will make anybody realize the massive gap in dissonance the average person has in portraying their vehicle ownership in-game. 

And this is where the pricing comes in. I believe the prices were influenced too much by their IG performance as opposed to their actual relative value (as people had to be discouraged to avoid buying high speed vehicles to start off a chain of cop baiters). Current trends slap the Elegy Retro Custom, Schafter V12 and the Pariah as the vehicles that are abused the most. 

When people say they can fish for a Comet SR or mine for a Bestia GTS, you know that's where it gets messy. People don't consider that payments don't work that way, that their characters have bills to pay, then you add vehicle ownership and maintenance on top of that and you're looking at the reason why some bank accounts IRL are a sad sight at the end of the month. How many working class people have had to scrape by in the last week before their payday because of expenses?

Cropped because I don't intend to shame the poster, only use their listing as an example:

image.png.95311c0d147c234ea7ed3fe2dac0a411.png

The Schafter V12 is popular because its price-to-performance ratio is frankly amazing, like it always has been since it was added into GTA Online. Just like its real life influence it was pitched as a counterpart to the W212 E-Class Mercedes (specifically the AMG and/or the Brabus V12). The Pariah has the highest top speed of any car in-game (and beats out MANY supercars in the GTA V meta) and the Elegy has both the handling and acceleration to put it above most others despite a lower top speed. 

Changing or adding vehicles won't be an easy task or welcomed easily by the staff because of how many people already improperly portray wealth and assets, with cars being the #1 notorious asset poorly represented by certain players. Any changes proposed will need solid backing behind them while also considering where compromises HAVE to be made between reality and the game world. Insurance and registration doesn't carry over either, which highlights the people that believe it does based solely on the script. It's like many things that don't need a script change, just a different approach to the RP. 

It comes down to the people more in the know to help shape a better car scene by leading by example to break this gamey-culture around the car scene. They could give pointers to people they frequently interact with and share their knowledge or experience, and it's worth it as these people find immense satisfaction in the RP. They also stand out as genuine as you can see with any vehicle-orientated RP done by @Conway, the people at Octane Automotive, and the people at Autohaven. 

I worked together with Conway and @JustAnM43; both of whom are more knowledgeable about cars than I am to try and make a proper start on this issue. Together we took a look at every single vehicle available in-game to suggest prices, along with our reasoning for each where applicable. We also looked at vehicles that should be added, vehicles that could be added (such as the lower end super cars that match many of the current sports cars in terms of value and performance) and what values could apply to vehicles if a player were to request them from staff.  I've also had the idea of collaborating with other people versed in vehicles to create a proper guide on portraying vehicles.

Here are the raw numbers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hQCs6_R21qH86Dy3BQs_jJqYP2ZHXnkj2h3rsTxTGhU/edit?usp=sharing

From a quick look at the list its just the opposite of this suggestion. A lot of incredibly undesirable vehicles spike in price which just steers them to other vehicles instead. It weirdly goes against what was said by you two in the thread. The cars that should be getting deterred are muscle cars and sports cars. It makes more sense to instead make vehicle costs more influenced by maintenance which leads to roleplay opportunities. Adjusting market prices doesn't do that and instead raises the investment to roleplay something new.  A lot of those aren't even necessary. Why do compact cars, vans, buses, motorcycles, and dirtbikes need price bumps? 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, Momo's Revenge said:

From a quick look at the list its just the opposite of this suggestion. A lot of incredibly undesirable vehicles spike in price which just steers them to other vehicles instead. It weirdly goes against what was said by you two in the thread. The cars that should be getting deterred are muscle cars and sports cars. It makes more sense to instead make vehicle costs more influenced by maintenance which leads to roleplay opportunities. Adjusting market prices doesn't do that and instead raises the investment to roleplay something new.  A lot of those aren't even necessary. Why do compact cars, vans, buses, motorcycles, and dirtbikes need price bumps? 

The reasoning is about 9 hours long, I kid you not.  

Vehicle prices will remain as is. It's based on real life model + GTA performance / stats + game model. We've changed them many times and everytime people complain about prices, because there will never be a price that everyone agrees on. Some want to stick with IRL prices whereas our server values aren't based on IRL values, some want to stick with performances, some with weight.. The current one isn't perfect but it's at least balanced and we make some small adjustments when needed sometimes.