Realistic Vehicles - Pricing Points

I apologize if there has been a discussion about this before. I tried browsing through, but didn't find an exact match on my points here. So here it is.

Short description: Consider price changes on existing cars to create affordable vehicles for the average consumer and potentially make other cars more out of reach, to help facilitate realistic role play.  There is too much abuse of the $5,000 paychecks to simply just save and buy an expensive car. I would love to see more people driving around realistic cars. Too many times I drive by an auto garage and see mechanics driving in-game equivalents of Mercedes, BMW, Corvettes, etc. Many times I have RP'd with people with expensive cars and asked what they do for a living and they say something along the lines of Courier Driver or Mechanic. It's pretty dull and shallow role play, to be honest.

Detailed description: Looking over the Vehicle Dealership guide, I noticed a huge lack of realistically affordable vehicles for the average person. By realistic, I consider a baseline of $25,000 or less. From a real perspective, that's what I would consider somewhat affordable under normal working conditions and anyone who's not making six figures or more per year. Let's take a look at the numbers:

• Not including boats, aircraft and major industrial/utility vehicles, the amount of cars/bikes/motorcycles under $25,000 is 28.
  • When you count up the total vehicles that would normally be purchased by your average consumer (again not including boats/aircraft/huge utility vehicles and trucks), I counted up around 224 vehicles. That's a grand total of 12.5%. Only 12.5% of vehicles can be classified as truly affordable by realistic means.
  • These number goes even lower if you go one step further and take into account people who don't know how to operate a motorcycle or don't want to buy a junker car that they can't keep running (i.e. Ratloader, Rusty cars, etc).

How would your suggestion improve the server?: Honestly, this situation is pretty unrealistic and I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the car pricing was at the time. I'm not insinuating that anyone did anything wrong, I'm just pointing out the facts. I would welcome an Admin response and the reasoning behind it, maybe it's something that I haven't considered. If we're considered a heavier role play server, along with the conversations that I've seen where there is already a high amount of improper portrayals of wealth (expensive cars, etc), I would think we would all welcome an influx of more realistically affordable vehicles for people to role play with.

Now I understand that these cars can't be placed at their real pricing, but this is just for discussion purposes.

Dinka Blista Compact (based on an older Honda CR-X) - $41,000 https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Blista_Compact

• https://www.autotrader.com/Honda/CRX/1991 - Original MSRP even for the Coupe Si was under $12,000 (this assumes it was new). In-game, this thing costs $41,000? That's completely unrealistic for what the car is, what it does and especially how it looks. This is an example of a car that should be more affordable, just to encourage people to buy these kinds of cars. I would LOVE to see people role playing with a larger variety of cars like this, rather than all the unrealistic people who have an expensive car with no means to justify how they bought it. 

I could go on with plenty more, but didn't want to get too lengthy. You get my point here. Like I said, I would welcome an Admin to come in and explain their reasoning as I'm not part of the team and there could be something I'm completely missing. Just trying to look at this from a realistic point of view, a lot of the cars are over priced and one could probably go the other way and suggest some are under priced.

Side Note: I do understand the basics of an in-game economy and that they are different from real life. I am not suggesting to make prices the same as real life. I was just using examples as a reference point to suggest that the pricing of some vehicles in this game do not make sense, as some cars are older than others and do not reflect what accurate pricing would look like even in an in-game economy.

Edited by Pollster
  • Upvote 2

I think a factor that needs to be considered for this discussion is that GTAW has its own economy compared to real life or gta online. On that note, I think the vehicle prices are fine but I find it odd that some of the older cars are expensive.

• Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, Law said:

I think a factor that needs to be considered for this discussion is that GTAW has its own economy compared to real life or gta online. On that note, I think the vehicle prices are fine but I find it odd that some of the older cars are expensive.

Certainly. I completely understand that the economy in-game is not comparable to real life, I was just using it as a reference. Something like the Dinka Blista Compact shouldn't be more expensive than say, the regular (and newer) Dinka Blista. There are some price points that should be reconsidered just based on what the cars are.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, M52B28 said:

Why are you comparing the prices to their IRL equivalent if the rate of which people earn money on the server is nothing like IRL?

I agree with you there. The rate at which people earn money is pretty insane in-game and for that I understand where you're coming from. I guess my point is that a lot of these cars, at their price points, do not reflect accurately the kind of car they are. Some of the older cars are priced higher than they should be and I get that people earn money faster so one would ask, so what?

Making some of those cars more readily affordable, I feel would encourage people to buy them rather than use their $5,000 an hour to simply save up and buy an expensive car, which is unrealistic in itself. Lower car prices (regardless of rate of income) for some car selections, would see people (hopefully) properly portraying characters besides "I'm rich because I have an expensive car" mentality. That happens far too often, from what I've seen.

Edited by Pollster

I think prices of vehicles need to be determined by their class, rarity, and state. There is no reason why vehicles should be priced by if they go fast or not.

Example:

Contender, only reason it costs 220k is because its "fast"

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Pollster said:

Certainly. I completely understand that the economy in-game is not comparable to real life, I was just using it as a reference. Something like the Dinka Blista Compact shouldn't be more expensive than say, the regular (and newer) Dinka Blista. There are some price points that should be reconsidered just based on what the cars are.

But the game doesn’t really have a good a economy at all, paychecks dont come out of the government fund and fines dont go to the government (i think so anyway)

I think a good example of the somewhat wonky pricing is the Vapid Radius ( https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Radius ). I'd love to see more of the economy cars priced around twenty thousand or so, but most of them are at least double the price of the Radius - which is an SUV. A compact one to be sure, but I don't think it makes much sense to have something like the Blista Compact be forty-one thousand in comparison.

Edited by Pillowy
3 hours ago, Pollster said:

I agree with you there. The rate at which people earn money is pretty insane in-game

Sorry but most of us came from sa-mp, and we getting old af dude. No time to earn "hard" money anymore.

13 minutes ago, Rml said:

Sorry but most of us came from sa-mp, and we getting old af dude. No time to earn "hard" money anymore.

I’m 32. No argument there. By no means am I saying that’s what needs to change. The change needs to come from the point about having more realistically priced cars for their class of car, age, etc. Its borderline crazy to see everyone playing the rich card because money is easy to come by. It ruins a good back story and quality role play and leaves you with a lazy “oh my parents were rich” or “I worked hard as a courier driver” story. 

Edited by Pollster