Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

3 hours ago, owen said:

The plain, simple fact of the matter is that the majority of the player base have a distaste for medical role play because it doesn't directly involve them role playing, and it's just them primarily responding to your role play and acting as the middle man. It's boring, repetitive and not exciting — Keane makes a good point too.

I have no idea about any medical role play and when I'm hit with the medical-esque jargon, I get bored because it's going too fast and there's too much going on. Also, the whole (70-100 is normal) for your pulse is weird, it's also not immersive at all. Also, the plain and simple fact is that some people will truly just not want to role play around medical — albeit they have to role play and that's server rules, they won't enjoy it and it will leave a sour taste in their and the Fire Department's mouth. 

Keanes suggestion on the ''load and go'' approach works well, and lets everyone get on with everything else going on in the moment — it also allows the medical staff to solely focus on the patient, and then it can be their choice to either go in-depth or the bare minimum. My opinion is that the Fire Department should focus on the people who WANT to roleplay with them, not the ones who don't. Put your effort and energy into the people who reciprocate it, it'll work out better and keep your people motivated in the long-run too.

This sorta answers the problem of GSWs, but then we get into bad territory. Say I’m a lonely Fire Captain, and I get two calls, one with a guy shot in Grove Street, and the other with a possible heart attack in an apartment.

I’m going to prioritize the apartment. Every trip in Davis is a coinflip of a bad time. You may as well be a bus driver in Davis.

So when you have twenty calls pile in from Davis? You know what you’re not going to get? FD, because it means shitty roleplay and driving people who dont want to be there to a hospital for a /do.

It’s also why FD has such a massive activity problem. Our call quality ranges from very high to abysmal. And there’s always a TON of calls. So it’s very hard to balance.

For the most part. I do agree with the load and go method of dealing with crappy roleplayers. But that isn’t any fun and leads to heavy burnout. Shit it would be nice if I could talk to my patient more often. It’s not about the medical roleplay, it’s about interacting with the community in tough situations. Load and going does none of that.

54 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

And there’s always a TON of calls

During your timezone! During the day there's very often just nothing, so people don't bother logging in as they'll just be standing around.

Edited by Fraggloid

Honestly to make this roleplay more interesting these events should be interesting but this would become riskier since there has to be more regard for someone’s life. So what should happen? Every PK is to become a CK and then you’ll see how FD tries to actually save a person who lacks possibilities. But not all of you are ready to lose this big, but it would help you choose wisely and act smart in RP situations.

Edited by Chuck Lee
  • Upvote 2

Here's a resolution from my experience. Crew up an ambulance with two people, load up a patient and perform treatment en-route unless scene presence is a must. Otherwise, try to enforce both parties' roleplay. Roadside surgery is bad and firefighters have one goal and one goal only; stabilize and transport. You're not expected to put together a patient on scene, only get them to where surgeons and doctors can take over. I.e hospital. 

Edit: It's worth noting that people on Rage MP tend to lose interest in anything that doesn't immediatelly fall into their hands. The moment they're forced to reciprocate something somebody's done to their character and they fizz out like burnt lightbulbs, going AFK or selectively avoiding around the medical roleplay. Trying to kill somebody's effort of providing atmosphere and details in treatment is never a good idea, even if for the sake of people that just want the situation where they got shot to fade to black. What's the difficulty in responding with a heartrate and playing into something that could develop your character? The faster you push to be out of the gate so you can get back to farming scripts/driving around/having pointless social roleplay in one of the various cafés, the faster you get bored by the repetitive nature of it all. Take it as it is, varied roleplay.

Edited by AlphaBatal
  • 6 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, Jax said:

Wouldn't it be possible to make it that if the person is shot, he wouldn't be able to jump or run if he was shot in leg and lower body half, and if shot in the chest, he would automatically get the [INJURED] walking anim

bump cause I was just thinking about this, this is really smart

I don't think that forcing a player who got shot to be unable to walk, jump and whatnot. Im my opinion it will bring even more hate for the medical RP because sometimes you just have to sit and wait like... a really fair time for an ambulance to come and assist you.

In my opinion, the firefighters roleplay should be made simpler and more understandable to others. As one who has been on FD for a while, always when I did roleplay with others I tried to make it as simple as possible, not to involve phrases or write down complicated and weird words in my /me's.

I have no doubt at all that no one will want to take part in something that he does not understand at all what is going on and will just look at the clock and wait for time to pass to move on to something more funnier. 

That's my two cents about this subject... and again - not everyone can be happy at the end of the day at every situation. FD is a necessary thing to server and it is necessary to cooperate and try to enjoy this roleplay even though sometimes it takes a long time and can be annoying...

As someone who was in FD for a very long time, all I can say is to promote what I tried to promote in my practice: don't puppeteer people around, read a room, and prioritize interaction with a character over interaction with a diagnosis. Talk to the wounded person if they're conscious, and if they're not conscious make the RP as quick as you can while maintaining a good standard. During my stay as head of T&R I also encouraged people to get a patient to an ambulance as soon as possible after doing every crucial part, and continue the rest of the RP en-route. In my eyes, you're there so the person makes it to the hospital alive to be healed as soon as possible, not to provide treatment.

Many of the actions RPed during a medical scene in my time in FD (a while ago) were often also said in textbook terms, and you could see the patient RPer fall asleep in front of your very eyes, or disconnect from it because when you're doing medical RP for hours a night, you end up forgetting that not everyone is as familiar with the procedures as you (the person who has spent tens of hours doing the same procedure) are.

My solution to make GSW RP more enjoyable for myself during my time in FD was always to try and engage the victim and keep them responsive, giving them a chance to RP something other than responses to medical questions like "/do What would his pulse be? (Normal is 60-100)".

• 2 weeks later...

In order to give more into this, on my character on LSFD I like to go a bit more into detail and spend my time on-scenes when it comes to GSWs or anything of that sorts, just generally enjoying medical roleplay. I feel like there are issues on both sides, and I mean one side being the players doing the medical roleplay while the other side are the players roleplaying their injuries, let me explain.

Issues from medical roleplayers; as myself being apart of this group, I believe it's mainly the fact that a lot of the times the treatment can be rushed and made very bare bones which takes the interesting part out of the medical roleplay, I don't see anything interesting with the mentality of ''Slap a gauze pad on it, backboard and transport'', in my opinion it ruins the roleplay and the beauty of actually doing it. Yes, IRL speed does matter, but you can't really count the same speed here, why? Simple, IRL I can both move my hands to do some actions, see the injuries in front of me and speak at the same time, while IG, I need to ask questions through /do about injuries or such, wait for answers, type out my actions as well as type out what I want to say, so it changes a scene which would take fifteen minutes IRL to thirty minutes IG, and honestly I don't see an issue with it especially now that we have a dedicated and active faction for the treatment of trauma at Pillbox Hill. Knowledge is also a thing, unfortunately to be a good medical roleplayer, you need to know the procedures and what specific things do and how they react or such, same as other the LSPD and LSSD should have a good idea on how law works and case law and such to provide quality LEO roleplay, and the mentality ''It's a game, why should I learn something?'' is really weird and isolated to medical roleplay.

Issues with players roleplaying injuries; it really gets tiring and annoying when I, as the paramedic doing some sort of threatment, ask somebody something and they take five minutes to respond or don't respond at all, people who would rather skip injuries and whine their way around /b to try and get out of roleplaying with us, or when I just arrive to a scene and the person just flat out refuses to do any sort of roleplay. It also gets tiring responding to the same thing over and over and over again, at some point it's just annoying going to Davis to fix up GSWs for the sixth time in the same day.

I do have a way to fix this, please, work together. If you show some interest to the medic roleplayer and roleplay with him, he'll provide you with more quality roleplay themselves as they'll feel more invested. If you don't know how to RP something, please, send the medical RPer /pm and ask him how to roleplay it or if you don't understand something, ask rather then winging it. It feel really good, in terms of the RP scenario, when I handle a scene with the person being actually invested in the roleplay, and when not sure, they simply ask. It's so easy, and if both of the sides work together, it would make it much /much/ more enjoyable as I know that a decent amount of LSFD guys find themselves having to jump off after two hours of handling of calls since they simply can't deal with the shit anymore.