Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

Just now, shareef2 said:

I honestly assume anyone is dead if they have a head shot, didn't know they were allowed to roleplay surviving that. One time, a player was shot in front of our business, and he claimed his 5 shots to the arm and 1 to the head was just one "shot at arm"

By my standards is > If headshot (50 damage+ AND the character isn't moving and states [IS DEAD] then they're dead). If in doubt, always ask an admin for advise though. 

Just now, shareef2 said:

image.png.5774dc6ecfce8c75f11d2c1eb23b35a3.png

image.png.a3fc3fc368d2b2661cbba0dd42c28619.pngimage.png.dc1c91e16757039055610fedd6e066c9.png

It was definitely a strange case. In my opinion, that should be powergaming, no?

Sometimes I would argue it's powergaming - othertimes I would argue ignorance, a lack of script knowledge or just general lack of game experience. I had a complaint on me a while back asking why I didn't RP a shot to the head. On their screen, they'd hit me twice in the head, but because of sync I didn't even take any damage. If people are unfamiliar with /damages and the fact they're synced more than what your health is, sometimes they might not know.

The plain, simple fact of the matter is that the majority of the player base have a distaste for medical role play because it doesn't directly involve them role playing, and it's just them primarily responding to your role play and acting as the middle man. It's boring, repetitive and not exciting — Keane makes a good point too.

I have no idea about any medical role play and when I'm hit with the medical-esque jargon, I get bored because it's going too fast and there's too much going on. Also, the whole (70-100 is normal) for your pulse is weird, it's also not immersive at all. Also, the plain and simple fact is that some people will truly just not want to role play around medical — albeit they have to role play and that's server rules, they won't enjoy it and it will leave a sour taste in their and the Fire Department's mouth. 

Keanes suggestion on the ''load and go'' approach works well, and lets everyone get on with everything else going on in the moment — it also allows the medical staff to solely focus on the patient, and then it can be their choice to either go in-depth or the bare minimum. My opinion is that the Fire Department should focus on the people who WANT to roleplay with them, not the ones who don't. Put your effort and energy into the people who reciprocate it, it'll work out better and keep your people motivated in the long-run too.

Just now, owen said:

it also allows the medical staff to solely focus on the patient, and then it can be their choice to either go in-depth or the bare minimum. My opinion is that the Fire Department should focus on the people who WANT to roleplay with them, not the ones who don't. Put your effort and energy into the people who reciprocate it, it'll work out better and keep your people motivated in the long-run too.

My issue with that is that if I do not give that person 100%, what happens if they later turn around and sue the department for not providing sufficient or adequate care in line with training?

Just now, Westen said:

My issue with that is that if I do not give that person 100%, what happens if they later turn around and sue the department for not providing sufficient or adequate care in line with training?

I don't mean 100% as in ignoring your responsibilities in-character, I mean in the terms of dedication to the role play, time and effort. Don't burn yourself out with it, because you'll be consistently met with a negative experience if people do not want to role play with you.

Just now, owen said:

I don't mean 100% as in ignoring your responsibilities in-character, I mean in the terms of dedication to the role play, time and effort. Don't burn yourself out with it, because you'll be consistently met with a negative experience if people do not want to role play with you.

Ah, misunderstood you! My bad. Given this then, if someone's not really willing to engage in lengthy medical RP, it's also very likely they're not RPing a pneumothorax or something complicated that would then require complex treatment.

11 minutes ago, shareef2 said:

image.png.5774dc6ecfce8c75f11d2c1eb23b35a3.png

image.png.a3fc3fc368d2b2661cbba0dd42c28619.pngimage.png.dc1c91e16757039055610fedd6e066c9.png

It was definitely a strange case. In my opinion, that should be powergaming, no?

In my personal opinion, if the person is brutally wounded and has a head shot — they should be dead, if the person is not brutually wounded and has a head shot — they have the chance to roleplay it clipping them, or hitting them somewhere non-fatal. Popular to contrary belief, you can be shot about ten times (or more in certain instances) and still live, as long as those bullets do not hit arteries or anywhere seriously fatal. It's very, very common.

Countless Youtube videos attest this so just letting you know for the future you can role play still being alive even if you're shot like 5-10 times, just depends on where, with what and how. 

Edited by owen
8 minutes ago, owen said:

In my personal opinion, if the person is brutally wounded and has a head shot — they should be dead, if the person is not brutually wounded and has a head shot — they have the chance to roleplay it clipping them, or hitting them somewhere non-fatal. Popular to contrary belief, you can be shot about ten times (or more in certain instances) and still live, as long as those bullets do not hit arteries or anywhere seriously fatal. It's very, very common.

Countless Youtube videos attest this so just letting you know for the future you can role play still being alive even if you're shot like 5-10 times, just depends on where, with what and how. 

This.

People need to consider what they were shot with, whilst surviving a few shots in the limbs from a 9mm round is by all means possible, it isn't the same story for something like a 7.62 round. Multiple shots by a shotgun or Kalashnikov style rifle in the arm would most likely have blown it off completely or left it hanging by a thread.

11 minutes ago, owen said:

The plain, simple fact of the matter is that the majority of the player base have a distaste for medical role play because it doesn't directly involve them role playing, and it's just them primarily responding to your role play and acting as the middle man. It's boring, repetitive and not exciting — Keane makes a good point too.

I have no idea about any medical role play and when I'm hit with the medical-esque jargon, I get bored because it's going too fast and there's too much going on. Also, the whole (70-100 is normal) for your pulse is weird, it's also not immersive at all. Also, the plain and simple fact is that some people will truly just not want to role play around medical — albeit they have to role play and that's server rules, they won't enjoy it and it will leave a sour taste in their and the Fire Department's mouth. 

Keanes suggestion on the ''load and go'' approach works well, and lets everyone get on with everything else going on in the moment — it also allows the medical staff to solely focus on the patient, and then it can be their choice to either go in-depth or the bare minimum. My opinion is that the Fire Department should focus on the people who WANT to roleplay with them, not the ones who don't. Put your effort and energy into the people who reciprocate it, it'll work out better and keep your people motivated in the long-run too.

While I agree with most of what you say, and while people are absolutely entitled to their own opinion when it comes to enjoying or not medical roleplay, they need to understand that when it gets to a point where the fire department has to be called on scene to treat them, it's not just about them anymore but everyone else involved; this means the patient(s), the fire department, the police/sheriff department at times and the civilians - so it is selfish of them to drop their standards because they don't like it, as it essentially kills roleplay for all sides.

I think it is not completely their fault, however. I am personally in favor of simpler medical roleplay, while at the same time keeping minimally realistic standards. This would imply that there would have to be clearer out of character communication between the patient and the medical personnel in order to ensure that everyone is on the same page but sometimes this is not very practical because the patient is usually not compliant and takes minutes to respond to a single roleplay line, making everything harder for EMS and that is genuinely annoying because if I'm putting effort into my roleplay, I expect it to be reciprocal.