Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

2 hours ago, Vindus said:

I can only speak from my own experiences in scenes like this, what I often notice is that for some reason people are being treated in the middle of the streets for their injuries, stabbings, GSW. These are very serious injuries and they need to be treated at a hospital asap. I have been apart of situations where it has taken 20+ minutes for the wounded to get ready for transportation. 

Also, another thing, there is a lot of players that will roleplay surviving the craziest things. Someone getting shot five times, laying on the ground unattended for 15 minutes, then another fifteen until the character is rushed to the hospital, It's not very likely that he would survive. I'm not saying we should give FD the authority to kill off characters but someone should advice the players behind the character that they shouldn't roleplay surviving. 

Edit: Just because a character is being treated by medical staff, does not mean they survives. It usually just creates weird situations.

I'll also add due to the nature of the script. Which is awful atm. It requires everyone to treat on scene until someone can /revive. Even then, it's a thirty second trip to the hospital in most situations. It's no fun to just toss them onto a gurney while they're bleeding out and toss them into an NPC ambulance.

Might as well /do an ambulance arrives.

(that was a joke dont make it a suggestion plz)

2 hours ago, Vindus said:

I'm not saying we should give FD the authority to kill off characters but someone should advice the players behind the character that they shouldn't roleplay surviving. 

The problem with this is, when you advise someone even in an uninvolved to the situation king of way, a lot of people fly off the handle about "telling them what they can and can't roleplay." No lie, when I was in FD, I was working on a guy who got shot 9 times. 9. And I was more or less going through the motions because there is absolutely no way the dude should be surviving this right? Nah. Strong pulse, no problems breathing - business as usual. I pm'd him something like "Hey man, realistically you wouldn't survive this, you know that right?" His response - and I'll see if I can find the screenshot and post it later. But it was "50 Cent did." and then something about me not knowing what I'm talking about. It got so bad of people trying to survive being swiss cheesed or getting like quad tapped to the dome we just started reporting the minute that we showed up on the scene and things were going dumb.

I understand things take a bit longer because it's all text based and time kind of slows down on these sorts of things. Typing takes time, waiting for a response takes time, people don't know what they're supposed to be doing.  I know that when I was in FD, I would straight up ask a lot of people in a PM what they were trying to RP, and then I would guide them into how to show that in an RP sense. Medical stuff isn't for everyone, I get that. A lot of people see it as means to an end and that's unfortunate because there can be a ton of development with it. One of the best RP moments I had on this server was a guy who had a hemopneumothorax. It was someone that I'd interacted with loosely before and I PM'd him "What are we trying to do here?" And he told me a collapsed lung. And I pm'd him back "okay, we'll you be bleeding in that lung, you wanna RP that too?" He did. So I walked him in on the symptoms and gave him a treatment that was required on the scene for his survival at that moment, and we left. During the whole show, he's giving me good indications, fighting me because he's panicking and can't breath and I had to deal with that in the same moment. It was great. I wish all scenes could be that fun for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Medical RP is pretty niche. There aren't going to be many people who enjoy it, but those that do, usually seem very committed. I'm glad that players sign up for that type of roleplay, because it factors into making the server more realistic. 

But in all honesty, there isn't much you could do differently to make things more enjoyable for myself. I don't enjoy the medical jargon, and/or the longer stretches of passive roleplay, as in the medics (in-depth) roleplay while they deal appropriately with an injury. Most of it doesn't mean anything to me and if the medic asks specific questions via /do, I'm gonna have to tab out to research an adequate response. However, I don't ask the medic to hurry or to skip anything, because I know they provide a "service" to the GTA W community, and I don't think that myself not enjoying their specific brand of roleplay should hamper their experience on the server. 

Lastly, I think medics should just up & leave when people take unreasonably long to every /do question pertaining to their injury. I know I would.

8 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

The problem with this is, when you advise someone even in an uninvolved to the situation king of way, a lot of people fly off the handle about "telling them what they can and can't roleplay." No lie, when I was in FD, I was working on a guy who got shot 9 times. 9. And I was more or less going through the motions because there is absolutely no way the dude should be surviving this right? Nah. Strong pulse, no problems breathing - business as usual. I pm'd him something like "Hey man, realistically you wouldn't survive this, you know that right?" His response - and I'll see if I can find the screenshot and post it later. But it was "50 Cent did." and then something about me not knowing what I'm talking about. It got so bad of people trying to survive being swiss cheesed or getting like quad tapped to the dome we just started reporting the minute that we showed up on the scene and things were going dumb.

I understand things take a bit longer because it's all text based and time kind of slows down on these sorts of things. Typing takes time, waiting for a response takes time, people don't know what they're supposed to be doing.  I know that when I was in FD, I would straight up ask a lot of people in a PM what they were trying to RP, and then I would guide them into how to show that in an RP sense. Medical stuff isn't for everyone, I get that. A lot of people see it as means to an end and that's unfortunate because there can be a ton of development with it. One of the best RP moments I had on this server was a guy who had a hemopneumothorax. It was someone that I'd interacted with loosely before and I PM'd him "What are we trying to do here?" And he told me a collapsed lung. And I pm'd him back "okay, we'll you be bleeding in that lung, you wanna RP that too?" He did. So I walked him in on the symptoms and gave him a treatment that was required on the scene for his survival at that moment, and we left. During the whole show, he's giving me good indications, fighting me because he's panicking and can't breath and I had to deal with that in the same moment. It was great. I wish all scenes could be that fun for everyone.

8 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

And here is the issue, this is the paradox. And partly why I hate this specific thread with a passion.

On one hand, you got people who want better medical roleplay, roleplay the LSFD can and will provide. We usually spend "20" minutes on scene when we're really just roleplaying one or two minutes. It just takes 20 minutes to type that. More then likely. It takes twenty minutes for people to RESPOND to us at all.

But then we have people who want to load and go. Take the past 20 pages on this thread, and you'll have your example of why GSW roleplay is so bad on this server. People want us to wrap their wounds, toss them into an ambulance, and send them to a hospital. That's it. That's all people want from FD. They don't like interacting with us, I've been called a pest oocly, an idiot, multiple shitty words because I took my time to roleplay with somebody and help them through with their GSW wounds to make it better for me and him.

You wanna know the fix? Communicate with your Medic on scene. Tell them what you wanna roleplay and they /will/ roleplay with you. Treat them like shit? Ignore them? Do what this community has treated EMS for years? And you'll get awful, draining, and terrible gunshot wound roleplay.

We wanna roleplay with this community. But it's hard when no one else does. This is just my experience with nearly 400 calls on this server. The scenes where I have fun? Are the scenes where i interact with my patient oocly a tiny bit, and a ton icly. Where they actively fear for their life, scream, cry, show emotion, where I have to pull complicated procedures and rushing them to an ambulance. We have to treat on scene for some wounds, it's just the nature of EMS, we can't bring a dead guy to a hospital. EMS is an important part of the hospital process. And it requires us, yes, I know, its awful, to roleplay, even if it takes twenty minutes to load one patient up. Usually our patient load time is five minutes. But people take forever because they alt-tab, and just ignore FD.

Thankfully this is slowly no longer happening. It's been a lot better, and the community has been very friendly, and ask for help when they need it to make their injuries more realistic. FD is a tool, you can use it with a simple PM. "Hey, how do I make my wound more realistic/more fun?" And we'll help you. If any Firefighter/EMT refuses? Report them to FD, and they'll be dealt with.

I was just speaking from my experience, wasn't intended to hurt anyones feelings or trash anyones RP. I like FD and it's been a while since I was the wounded on a scene. I understand that roleplaying takes time but I've seen situations where PD has called for FD with victims near death, they have been advised that the victim needs to go to a hospital asap and still it takes ages. It's just my own experience and it's not meant to bash on anyone. It sucks you been called a bunch of things oocly but I'm sure everyone has been in situations where people are unhappy ooc and gotten a bunch of insults thrown their way. 

And yeah, I've heard about the "fifty survived it" too. It's really something else.

Not sure if this was already spoken about as there are many replies to this thread but, more guidance would be better when prompted!

On other servers it was common for FD to say /do Pulse? 60-100 is normal, but usually on here I see just /do Pulse?, in fact, I used to see (VERY rarely, but this would be cool to see more often!) /do Pulse? GSW typically increases pulse (not sure if true just an example of more in depth guidance I saw!) Other than that, I can't see much. Unfortunately, FD will always run into those who are just salty they are dead, and just want to be revived, and there's not much that can be done about that. It's sad, really.

Wouldn't it be possible to make it that if the person is shot, he wouldn't be able to jump or run if he was shot in leg and lower body half, and if shot in the chest, he would automatically get the [INJURED] walking anim

56 minutes ago, shareef2 said:

Unfortunately, FD will always run into those who are just salty they are dead, and just want to be revived, and there's not much that can be done about that. It's sad, really.

This is sadly the case (though my opinion doesnt reflect the full departments), most of my scenes are people becoming 50 cent, and or surviving a headshot and saying their pulse is fine. I've reflected my /do pulse to just high (100+) medium (60-10) or low (>60) but alas, they just prefer to rush to the hospital and get treated and they can go back to the hood instantly. 

Just now, Mitch said:

This is sadly the case (though my opinion doesnt reflect the full departments), most of my scenes are people becoming 50 cent, and or surviving a headshot and saying their pulse is fine. I've reflected my /do pulse to just high (100+) medium (60-10) or low (>60) but alas, they just prefer to rush to the hospital and get treated and they can go back to the hood instantly. 

I honestly assume anyone is dead if they have a head shot, didn't know they were allowed to roleplay surviving that. One time, a player was shot in front of our business, and he claimed his 5 shots to the arm and 1 to the head was just one "shot at arm"

3 minutes ago, shareef2 said:

I honestly assume anyone is dead if they have a head shot, didn't know they were allowed to roleplay surviving that. One time, a player was shot in front of our business, and he claimed his 5 shots to the arm and 1 to the head was just one "shot at arm"

This is unfortunately common. As someone who deals with GSWs a lot, I've taken to ignoring what they say in /do if it very clearly doesn't match up with their damages (like your example) and just marking them with a black tag for FD.

image.png.5774dc6ecfce8c75f11d2c1eb23b35a3.png

image.png.a3fc3fc368d2b2661cbba0dd42c28619.pngimage.png.dc1c91e16757039055610fedd6e066c9.png

Just now, Westen said:

This is unfortunately common. As someone who deals with GSWs a lot, I've taken to ignoring what they say in /do if it very clearly doesn't match up with their damages (like your example) and just marking them with a black tag for FD.

It was definitely a strange case. In my opinion, that should be powergaming, no?