Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

29 minutes ago, Coni said:

Except IRL is not based on player activity and living ist not based on entertainment. I know I would see no point in trying to portray realistic character development when the time I get to spend with this character is put completely into the hands of other people. Also becomes frustrating for less wealthy players who can't namechange out of losing their wealth while IRL wealthier people can just namechange after the CK counter is reached to keep their shit. 

Big and wealthy people get to bully smaller factions - no real faction can develop if their natural antagonist decides to CK them out of existance. In the end it comes down to the same reasons why we don't jail players for IRL time (we rp each RL day as a ingame day after all). 

I see no point in further entertaining this idea tbh. Im outtie on this one. 

Of course it's going to sound bad when you put it in the perspective of worst case scenarios, but there's ways to make all of what you're saying less harsh and over all not nearly as bad as you're putting it, and that's kind of what you picked apart and focused on.

It's unfortunate people in this community actually think the roleplay in this server is somewhat based around a "cops and robbers" theme. It's not. 

Roleplay is based around emulating real life, you really narrow your roleplaying opportunities and experience if you think it's all about the boys in blue locking you up. 

12 minutes ago, Duke said:

It's unfortunate people in this community actually think the roleplay in this server is somewhat based around a "cops and robbers" theme. It's not. 

Roleplay is based around emulating real life, you really narrow your roleplaying opportunities and experience if you think it's all about the boys in blue locking you up. 

Can't blame them, it's just what they're accustomed to. If anything blame the servers for putting and keeping people in this mindset. We should be actively finding ways to innovate and evolve role play but majority of people just shut anything down with "Already been tried"  and they're too scared of change, and some owners afraid of losing a few players to what in my opinion would be for a greater good if only they would truly hear things through.

Yeah maybe certain ideas have been tried, and maybe they've failed but that doesn't mean it can't work here with the right shit in place. I'm personally bored of the same experience but with different expectations. One server expects you to use proper grammar and punctuation, the other expects less.

If we want to talk high standards well? I don't see it, not yet at least. We're aware of the issues but for whatever reason it's not our primary goal.

Surely we can do better and surely we can compromise a couple players for a better overall experience. If players want to be able to respawn and get back to gang banging in the hood then maybe their intentions aren't in line with what the server supposedly stands for.

Experimenting and trying to find other way to increase the roleplay opportunities of this server outside of Cops N' Robbers would be great.

I'd be more than happy to engage and help out here, something that makes this server really unique in its reflection of roleplaying the life of an American city on the south-west coast! 

• 10 months later...

I want to add this, in reality when you get shot 5 to 7 times what's the outcome of you surviving that?   If the script tells you've been shot more than three times then most likely your player may be dead, but it all depends where you've been hit as well. If you were hit 3 times in the leg then you'll survive it as soon as the EMT pulls up possibly if they can stop the bleeding. However if you've been shot twice in the chest, three times in the back, once in the shoulder, you're losing a lot of blood, your chances to survive that is very low.  The avg person is not made out of armour.

Edited by Gloccs

Gunshot wound rp is not magically boring. If you start roleplaying which rounds got stuck, which went through, what bone (if any) was shattered, you instantly make your char's condition more interesting. I don't think people often roleplay pneumo-thoraxes.

Many people may not have the foresight to roleplay all this; in my opinion, this is where LSFD players can guide them.

Edited by arrdef

I can only speak from my own experiences in scenes like this, what I often notice is that for some reason people are being treated in the middle of the streets for their injuries, stabbings, GSW. These are very serious injuries and they need to be treated at a hospital asap. I have been apart of situations where it has taken 20+ minutes for the wounded to get ready for transportation. 

Also, another thing, there is a lot of players that will roleplay surviving the craziest things. Someone getting shot five times, laying on the ground unattended for 15 minutes, then another fifteen until the character is rushed to the hospital, It's not very likely that he would survive. I'm not saying we should give FD the authority to kill off characters but someone should advice the players behind the character that they shouldn't roleplay surviving. 

Edit: Just because a character is being treated by medical staff, does not mean they survives. It usually just creates weird situations.

Edited by Vindus

give both the pd and the fd more open hands. have players on edge of their seat when injured on the ground. it's their characters, something they invested real time in. don't really have an idea how you could do this, but I think some of you might get my point. have them on the edge of their seats, scared for the future of their character. and only then would be roleplay be responsive, detailed, and better. nobody wants to lose their shit.

2 hours ago, arrdef said:

Gunshot wound rp is not magically boring. If you start roleplaying which rounds got stuck, which went through, what bone (if any) was shattered, you instantly make your char's condition more interesting. I don't think people often roleplay pneumo-thoraxes.

Many people may not have the foresight to roleplay all this; in my opinion, this is where LSFD players can guide them.

I had roleplay like that. actually did some exploring online because I knew shit was about to go down IC, and just wanted to prepare myself to RP my injuries the best I can. the medic didn't seem to care that much, just did that basic "wraps you up and shoves you into an ambulance" roleplay, bones pierced, and everything else surrounding it was completely ignored, as their only job was to transport me from A to B. at least it seemed like that, judging by the roleplay the medic provided me with.

Edited by full of sin
31 minutes ago, full of sin said:

give both the pd and the fd more open hands. have players on edge of their seat when injured on the ground. it's their characters, something they invested real time in. don't really have an idea how you could do this, but I think some of you might get my point. have them on the edge of their seats, scared for the future of their character. and only then would be roleplay be responsive, detailed, and better. nobody wants to lose their shit. 

I had roleplay like that. actually did some exploring online because I knew shit was about to go down IC, and just wanted to prepare myself to RP my injuries the best I can. the medic didn't seem to care that much, just did that basic "wraps you up and shoves you into an ambulance" roleplay, bones pierced, and everything else surrounding it was completely ignored, as their only job was to transport me from A to B. at least it seemed like that, judging by the roleplay the medic provided me with. 

2 hours ago, Vindus said:

I can only speak from my own experiences in scenes like this, what I often notice is that for some reason people are being treated in the middle of the streets for their injuries, stabbings, GSW. These are very serious injuries and they need to be treated at a hospital asap. I have been apart of situations where it has taken 20+ minutes for the wounded to get ready for transportation. 

Also, another thing, there is a lot of players that will roleplay surviving the craziest things. Someone getting shot five times, laying on the ground unattended for 15 minutes, then another fifteen until the character is rushed to the hospital, It's not very likely that he would survive. I'm not saying we should give FD the authority to kill off characters but someone should advice the players behind the character that they shouldn't roleplay surviving. 

Edit: Just because a character is being treated by medical staff, does not mean they survives. It usually just creates weird situations.

And here is the issue, this is the paradox. And partly why I hate this specific thread with a passion.

On one hand, you got people who want better medical roleplay, roleplay the LSFD can and will provide. We usually spend "20" minutes on scene when we're really just roleplaying one or two minutes. It just takes 20 minutes to type that. More then likely. It takes twenty minutes for people to RESPOND to us at all.

But then we have people who want to load and go. Take the past 20 pages on this thread, and you'll have your example of why GSW roleplay is so bad on this server. People want us to wrap their wounds, toss them into an ambulance, and send them to a hospital. That's it. That's all people want from FD. They don't like interacting with us, I've been called a pest oocly, an idiot, multiple shitty words because I took my time to roleplay with somebody and help them through with their GSW wounds to make it better for me and him.

You wanna know the fix? Communicate with your Medic on scene. Tell them what you wanna roleplay and they /will/ roleplay with you. Treat them like shit? Ignore them? Do what this community has treated EMS for years? And you'll get awful, draining, and terrible gunshot wound roleplay.

We wanna roleplay with this community. But it's hard when no one else does. This is just my experience with nearly 400 calls on this server. The scenes where I have fun? Are the scenes where i interact with my patient oocly a tiny bit, and a ton icly. Where they actively fear for their life, scream, cry, show emotion, where I have to pull complicated procedures and rushing them to an ambulance. We have to treat on scene for some wounds, it's just the nature of EMS, we can't bring a dead guy to a hospital. EMS is an important part of the hospital process. And it requires us, yes, I know, its awful, to roleplay, even if it takes twenty minutes to load one patient up. Usually our patient load time is five minutes. But people take forever because they alt-tab, and just ignore FD.

Thankfully this is slowly no longer happening. It's been a lot better, and the community has been very friendly, and ask for help when they need it to make their injuries more realistic. FD is a tool, you can use it with a simple PM. "Hey, how do I make my wound more realistic/more fun?" And we'll help you. If any Firefighter/EMT refuses? Report them to FD, and they'll be dealt with.