Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

So this one has been killing us in the Los Santos Fire Department. Very few people in the faction enjoy Gun Shot Wound (GSW) roleplay, and very few of our patients enjoy the roleplay of being treated for Gun Shot Wounds either. 

It's gotten to the point members of the Fire Department will avoid coming on at certain times where shootings are frequent, or will go off duty as soon as shooting calls come in. They certainly wont respond to pagers for Shootings. And many members leave because of this 'repetitive' or 'poor quality' level of roleplay.

As for many patients, they go AFK or try to avoid roleplay when we try to treat them for Gun Shot Wounds. While it is against the rules, quite a lot of them have disconnected. It's clear that both parties aren't enjoying the roleplay. 

So my question is - how do we make the roleplay experience more enjoyable for all? Discuss. 

Edited by Cobra

Personally, I'd say one of the big things I am not a fan of is the time it takes for anything to be done. It takes a long time for them to be prepped and loaded, and I often find myself tabbing out at medical scenes because of this.

For example, someone was shot in the arm in Forum Drive - the most dangerous area of the server as it stands right now. It took twenty five minutes for FD arriving, to them being loaded up and transported even though a tourniquet had been applied.

I would do GSW treatment all day. Couple trauma dressings and transport, all we can do. GSWs are what I think of the more basic treatment, especially for BLS. If it's more serious? Call ILS and if they dont respond? Throw them in the ambulance and bee line it to a hospital. 

I don't think there's much improvement to be made to them at this point in time.

Edited by JayO

We don't. It's not enjoyable to have 20 shootings a night. The only way to deal with the issue is to enforce CKs if the player RPs as dead, or is shot by more than X PD members. An element of fear needs to be introduced to stop people shooting each other willy-nilly. Alternatively, make the person who shoots first liable for auto-CK if they're downed.

Edited by Fraggloid
  • Upvote 2

There needs to be more emphasis on load and go rather than encouraging the faction members to perform surgeries on the sidewalk.

It's not enjoyable for the person to sit through 10 lines of medical terms they don't understand because someone that recently got ILS certified wants to try to set up an IV due to a pulse being slightly below normal. It's not enjoyable either for the cops to stand around waiting to be shot at. This results in the cops putting pressure on FD and that makes FD hate the scene too. 

• Upvote 9

I think the damage system really effects how people think "There's no way they could live". With the character not being killed scriptwise, sometimes people want to RP a serious head injury such as a gunshot to the temple, bouncing off the skull. Then it becomes an OOC arguement for some god awful reason, ruining RP.

Edited by Roach
Just now, Keane said:

There needs to be more emphasis on load and go rather than encouraging the faction members to perform surgeries on the sidewalk.

It's not enjoyable for the person to sit through 10 lines of medical terms they don't understand because someone that recently got ILS certified wants to try to set up an IV due to a pulse being slightly below normal. It's not enjoyable either for the cops to stand around waiting to be shot at. This results in the cops putting pressure on FD and that makes FD hate the scene too. 

I think this sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Another thing I'd like to add on the medical terms, is please explain stuff. I was at a scene where someone had been turned into the Grove Street equivalent of swiss cheese, and the paramedic does an IV. They then ask in /do if something fills up with blood when the saline is pushed through. Like...maybe? How would I know? I'm not a paramedic. Something I try to do is explain, e.g. "Would _'s pupils constrict normally when the light is shined in them? If not, this could indicate a severe head injury."

10 minutes ago, Keane said:

There is. Most of our faction are only BLS trained which is as load'n'go as it gets. ILS is rarely used for GSW RP outside of excessive blood loss, and even then it's an abnormality. I've had ILS training for maybe 4 months and I've used it three times.

We're taught and examined on extremely detailed RP. Sometimes people don't realise that the level of RP required from us during examinations and evaluations isn't the level that works on scenes.

Edited by Fraggloid
18 minutes ago, Keane said:

30 minutes ago, Westen said:

Personally, I'd say one of the big things I am not a fan of is the time it takes for anything to be done. It takes a long time for them to be prepped and loaded, and I often find myself tabbing out at medical scenes because of this.

For example, someone was shot in the arm in Forum Drive - the most dangerous area of the server as it stands right now. It took twenty five minutes for FD arriving, to them being loaded up and transported even though a tourniquet had been applied.

For me these replies can be summed up as such: "Get there, grab them and go. We don't wanna wait around for you to RP nor does anyone else." GSW's are boring 'cause they're so frequent, a quick grab and go doesn't solve anything and makes the RP on our end very dull and pretty meaningless. I get that nobody wants to sit around and watch someone being treated but the RP for FD needs to be enjoyable too. 

There needs to be a balance where emotes (/me's) are snappy and RP progresses at a satisfactory pace while also being meaningful for the EMT's on scene otherwise it's utterly forgetful. Seeing someone shot on the ground is not a minor thing to be brushed off. 

Edited by Scunt
  • Upvote 3

I honestly like to roleplay wounds to an extent I am afraid of wasting everbody's time with it. Although it depends on what wounds, with daily shootings like twice per hour and limited FD /EMT staff I understand they don't wanna spend thirty minutes on one scene. Plus when it comes to wounds in general, one's roleplay is highly limited by said wound or wounds. A man heavily bleeding from being shot, will have trouble even focusing on speaking. So it puts more pressure on FD as they have to roleplay majority of the scene, especially if the victim is unconscious already where the whole roleplay from their side is limited to informative descriptions of the scene. Also @Roach roleplaying a headshot wound where you haven't died is not as hard as people may think. The damage system exists for that purpose, to check what injuries you have and move on from there. A bullet just scratching your head as it flies by can put your body to a state you can barely even talk, cause you are shocked and you believe you are dying.

But in the end it all depends on the scene and it's surroundings, plus how much time are people willing to invest into that scene.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1
  • Keane locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic