Does California Exist?

This discussion is spawned from this. An In-Character post making references to both California and in the comments, Santa Monica.

It's my understanding that California and Los Angeles does not exist, all previous mentions of both of these in our media, songs, films, news, etc, and anything inside of them, are instead to be replaced with Los Santos and San Andreas. 

Los Santos is ultimately Los Angeles in our universe, in my opinion, that means that the latter simply does not exist.

What are your thoughts?

I think it comes to the people you rp with. Many people talk about New York but most say Liberty City. Same with Miami but others Vice City. Never ran into this issue and its simple to correct and avoid it in general. But yes everyone should know that LA is LS

I think reference to irl things and places (California, iPhone, Ford, Corona etc) is tacky. It was understandable on SAMP but here on GTA 5 we've got so much more lore and brand influence, it should be used if it's there. 

Edited by Conway

It's really more of a choice between everyone. Some people roleplay actual real life brands and places while others use Gta lore to replace stuff.

Personally, I would rather replace Real life stuff with Gta Lore stuff ( If you can replace it of course, at the current time there's no reference in the gta lore for something like Arizona for example so you can't replace it with anything). With all those pop culture replacements being handed over to you it would be a shame not to take it.

But If some other guy wants to use Real life stuff instead, let them. There's no point in forcing stuff on people. If he says California just act like he says San Andreas or something.

And yes, like Mitch said there was already a discussion on this:

Edited by PaganFears
46 minutes ago, PaganFears said:

It's really more of a choice between everyone. Some people roleplay actual real life brands and places while others use Gta lore to replace stuff.

Personally, I would rather replace Real life stuff with Gta Lore stuff ( If you can replace it of course, at the current time there's no reference in the gta lore for something like Arizona for example so you can't replace it with anything). With all those pop culture replacements being handed over to you it would be a shame not to take it.

But If some other guy wants to use Real life stuff instead, let them. There's no point in forcing stuff on people. If he says California just act like he says San Andreas or something.

And yes, like Mitch said there was already a discussion on this:

Honestly I am okay with using Real Life things as long as we exclude Los Angeles since Los Santos is the image of it in-game & not try to portray Real Life cars since we can not actually do that.

Kinda hate to be that guy, but will it honestly matter either way if it exist separately from SA or if it's combined? Nobody is going to be punished for RPly doing either, as in the end it really doesn't matter. And honestly I would prefer it to be ambiguous at this point, because unless you're going to drill it into everyone's head that SA and CA are either the same or entirely different places (Which nobody here is going to do), I don't see it even worth having the conversation to try and define it. Like, are you really going to be the mongoloid who is like "SA IS CA, OMG MY IMMERSION, ADMIN PLZ BAN!" Unless the server is going to enforce it by admin punishment, I don't see it worth even a real discussion. My two cents on the issue. 

• Upvote 1