Player accents in game

Bistek

Short description:

Setting /accent Nationality in order to increase the immersiveness of a character's roleplay

Detailed description:
The title sums it all, as we're a Heavy Roleplay server, we should have this command to pretty much extinguish the macro usage of 't/[My type of accent]' or copy-pasta. It would increase the roleplay's meter of scenarios, seeing there are many players which are already using this (as I already said, by copy and paste the prefix 't/[My type of accent]')

Commands to add:

We could have '/accent My Accent' so players could set their character's type of accent. It could be a fixed one, like Cantonese, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, American or it could be set by players themselves.

Items to add:

N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

My suggestion would raise even more the Roleplay around, and also would help speeding the pace of the roleplay itself (you have to ctrl+v everytime to type or even setting up a macro for that) 

Additional information:

N/A

I feel like this could be utilised with /attributes, so people can just do /examine when first meeting your character. Otherwise, it'll be hard to distinguish whether they're speaking Chinese or have a Chinese accent without bulking up the chat line too much. 

15 minutes ago, Law said:

I feel like this could be utilised with /attributes, so people can just do /examine when first meeting your character. Otherwise, it'll be hard to distinguish whether they're speaking Chinese or have a Chinese accent without bulking up the chat line too much. 

I respect your opinion, but, I personally use /attributes to describe my character's peculiarities, such as their ethnicity, gender, what he physically look like, etc, instead of using /do about those features.

Quoting @Aquila...

It is crazy how few people use /attributes and /examine. They're very useful when you can't be bothered to ask via /do what someone's character looks like.

In the interest of roleplay, I believe it was best that this thread exists because apparently not many people are aware that the commands are on the server. I understand that the commands are kinda bugged. Usually a temporary (or permanent, unsure) fix would be to use /attributes clear, then restart.

The commands are simple:

/attributes [description] - add anything here. Things that describe your character, such as their race, ethnicity, gender, etc. The most important attributes are height and weight, as well as build and stature. It is vital that you, as a player, describe your character to the best of your ability so others can understand how you're portraying them. It is far more difficult to roleplay with someone without knowing what they're like. Are they fat/skinny? Are they black/white/oriental/other? Are they athletic? Simple things like these can make a big difference.

/examine [id/name] - simple. Use this command on anyone to see their attributes.

/attributes clear - removes all of your attributes. You'd need to readd them after. You can add up to four lines of attributes.

Usually if you /examine yourself and nothing shows up (not even something like "your attributes aren't set" or whatever), use /attributes clear and add in some descriptions. 

There's not much else to say. I wanted to make this because I had to tell people about the commands and they didn't know they worked and/or existed. Thanks for reading this thread. Hope this has some positive impact on everyone.

Just now, aldo said:

everyones gonna rp a 1950s brooklyn mobster accent..

So? If you think someones not using a valid accent, just /report and the staff will handle it

Just now, aldo said:

or a russian with shit english

Using /accent before the text means your character is speaking in a different accent other than american, seeing English is the current server language.
If someone keeps writing with a 'writting-accent' (Something like 'proburem', 'fenk ya', 'murrica', and such), then they don't needed to type /accent in the first place.

7 minutes ago, aldo said:

everyones gonna rp a 1950s brooklyn mobster accent...

or a russian with shit english 

zis wat i sai, man. No, but to be honest, I RP a Russian that spoke shit English at the beginning, but now has developed further, and has a slight accent.

1 hour ago, Sully said:

zis wat i sai, man. No, but to be honest, I RP a Russian that spoke shit English at the beginning, but now has developed further, and has a slight accent.

Exactly, but describing it would be something you would write in /attributes...not everyone reads it anwyways (sadly)

The point what I'm trying to make in here is that /accent would be a small but strong roleplay enhancement about how your character speaks.

Edited by Bistek
minimal grammar issues
2 hours ago, Bistek said:

I respect your opinion, but, I personally use /attributes to describe my character's peculiarities, such as their ethnicity, gender, what he physically look like, etc, instead of using /do about those features.

I respect your opinion, but I personally use /attributes for physical descriptions and other notable characteristics that one would/should pick up upon an initial meeting.  

I'm going to agree with Law on this one, that it can easily be done with the /attributes.  With this function, you can set not just physical descriptions and indicators, but also general demeanors as well as subtle and discernible accents.  

Besides this, it'd be great for people to utilize /examine more often anyway. 

25 minutes ago, KV said:

I respect your opinion, but I personally use /attributes for physical descriptions and other notable characteristics that one would/should pick up upon an initial meeting.  

I'm going to agree with Law on this one, that it can easily be done with the /attributes.  With this function, you can set not just physical descriptions and indicators, but also general demeanors as well as subtle and discernible accents.  

Besides this, it'd be great for people to utilize /examine more often anyway. 

Fair enough....for /attribute's sake, I'd say let's just transfer all the info, including your accent to the command itself.

Thank you for the discussion, tho

Edited by Bistek