Removing player's name from their head

Bistek

In some other mediums, characters possess a physical description that substitutes in place of their name when they haven't been 'recognized' by the player reading their messages. 

They would display as, in some brackets, the first say eight or ten characters of their description. Descriptions weren't uniform, and were styled differently depending on who was playing the character.

It would come out to something like:

[6'1" male with a th..] says, "Hey!" 

No real issues were ran into with getting players mixed up because you told people apart more often through style and format of their description, at least in the chatbox - but you could view descriptions otherwise by hovering your mouse over them. There are a few other alternatives, one of the major ones being a voice description - which might be more feasible in an environment like this. Describing an accent, a tone, a depth of voice, that sort of thing and having it display similarly as the example above in place of a name until recognized.

It sure is a lot of work in a game like GTA, but I think it might make things a bit more overall immersive for those involved.

36 minutes ago, Seris__ said:

In some other mediums, characters possess a physical description that substitutes in place of their name when they haven't been 'recognized' by the player reading their messages. 

They would display as, in some brackets, the first say eight or ten characters of their description. Descriptions weren't uniform, and were styled differently depending on who was playing the character.

It would come out to something like:

[6'1" male with a th..] says, "Hey!" 

No real issues were ran into with getting players mixed up because you told people apart more often through style and format of their description, at least in the chatbox - but you could view descriptions otherwise by hovering your mouse over them. There are a few other alternatives, one of the major ones being a voice description - which might be more feasible in an environment like this. Describing an accent, a tone, a depth of voice, that sort of thing and having it display similarly as the example above in place of a name until recognized.

It sure is a lot of work in a game like GTA, but I think it might make things a bit more overall immersive for those involved.

This feature would be pretty cool, but in an environment like GTAs where we have a tiny chatbox, characters that look similiar and no voices this would sadly cause clutter in the already small chatbox. We have the /examine function already so that we can view these things without needing them to be added in as one very long display name.

It would definitely be a cool experience to be without, I believe it would make the game more immersive. However I do agree that it would cause potential issues and therefore I doubt it's plausible, but maybe someone to look into and see if there are some work around's for the issues. Such as reported, or PMing or any OOC reason to know their name. 

• Upvote 1

Only issue I have with this at all is that admins will start to have a bit more issues when trying to identify certain people during reports. Overall, I completely agree with removing names. Every suggestion has its ups and downs, however we will likely find a way to figure it out.

For people who want this feature solely for immersion purposes, a name toggle would be great.  It'd have to be player-side though and something they clearly opt into much like the typing indicator.  And if they need to report someone for something, they're shit out of luck if they can't toggle it back on quick enough to get a name ? I love the idea though.  In most MMOs I've played, I hide the names of people so I can't see who it is because I enjoy the immersion. 

For a server-wide thing though I don't see this remotely feasible for reasons that others have said over and over again so I'll not repeat them.  

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Björk said:

Only issue I have with this at all is that admins will start to have a bit more issues when trying to identify certain people during reports. Overall, I completely agree with removing names. Every suggestion has its ups and downs, however we will likely find a way to figure it out.

I believe it can be done that once the admin is on Admin-Duty the names show for him regardless of the state.

6 hours ago, KV said:

For people who want this feature solely for immersion purposes, a name toggle would be great.  It'd have to be player-side though and something they clearly opt into much like the typing indicator.  And if they need to report someone for something, they're shit out of luck if they can't toggle it back on quick enough to get a name ? I love the idea though.  In most MMOs I've played, I hide the names of people so I can't see who it is because I enjoy the immersion. 

For a server-wide thing though I don't see this remotely feasible for reasons that others have said over and over again so I'll not repeat them.  

I agree on the report part, as much as immersion is a thing, having to toggle fast enough to be able to report is an issue. 

I agree for the ability to toggle names if you prefer, but not force it on entire server.