Removing player's name from their head

Bistek

Short description:

Removing the names above player's heads

Detailed description:
The title sums it all, as we're a Heavy Roleplay server, we should remove the names above player's heads to avoid metagaming. We could have IDs instead, so admins could recognize the players and such

Commands to add:

We could have '/alias' (OOC command) so players could set alias on others, so they could 'remember' about something that happened

Items to add:

N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

My suggestion would raise even more the Roleplay around, diminishing a possible Metagaming way to recognize someone

Additional information:

N/A

I'm in favour of this, although I'd like to see the /alias being character-based rather than entirely OOC, so you can remember the names of people that your character would remember, for example, if you're introduced to someone but they have a generic looking skin, just /alias name so you remember who it is.

If there would be a wider variety of how characters can look, I would be all with you but the way it is, there are like 10 different looks. In my faction alone l, that has about 30 members, I would mix up about 10 people with each other. 

Plus, how would the chat look? 

Person 1 says: ...? 

Edited by Blackbeard
5 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

If there would be a wider variety of how characters can look, I would be all with you but the way it is, there are like 10 different looks. In my faction alone l, that has about 30 members, I would mix up about 10 people with each other. 

I feel like the idea stems from a form of RP on Garry's Mod called HL2-RP, check it out, I'm sure that's what OP is getting at.

Never really thought about the idea but honestly I wouldn't be against it.

With how much customisation there is on offer and how every character always seems to have their own unique vehicles, clothes, properties ETC, I think it'd work perfectly.

The ONLY problem I see is how would you go around finding the names of say someone breaking the rules? I understand admins would "see" all character's names and mask ID's above their head but what about player reports? 

I don't know...there is always a way to break rules...

We have a rule prohibiting people from exactly what you are describing, i.e using someone's name because it's floating over their head. Someone breaks it, you report them. Done. 

Do we really need to go to these great lengths and remove nametags? 

40 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

I also semi-agree with Blackbeard here. If there was more variety, I would personally consider it. But almost everyone looks the same (you know, I know it). 

The nametags make simple things much easier. One example is, you see your friend outside your building and you want to say hello. You know this person ICly for years and should easily be able to recognize him. As of now, you can use the nametag to OOCly confirm he's the right character and not just someone who dresses identically. Without nametags you would have to come up with some /do to just double-check because you never know. 

Not a fan at all, keep it the classic way. It’s already hard enough telling who’s who from a distance. Make it toggable if anything.

Not to mention it’d interrupt with rp lines like “/me looks at Jonathan with a dead stare” it’d be pretty confusing if it was something like “/me looks at the male with a dead stare” when the rooms filled with 3+ guys.

Edited by WirelessMind

This introduces so many issues. In other games, I've seen this work, it can be a great system. But in GTA there simply isn't enough customization to justify it. Along with all the other issues laid out above, it make reports completely useless.  Someone break a rule? That's too bad, because you don't even have a name to report them with. I wish there were the customization and the systems to justify this, but there just isn't.

My biggest problem with the name-above-head thing is the fact that people can see you through walls.

Removing it entirely does cause issues, but at the same time I'm really sick of people 'seeing' me because they drove past the wall I'm behind at 100 km/h.