[In-Game] Replace /bad with /cc (cruisecontrol)

cookiejar

Short description: I saw that /bad has been made available to donators only now. This is bad for the in-game ecenomy, and forces business owners or employees who are willing to work, to pay real life cash to work in-game.

Detailed description: The issue with /bad, which basically shows the icon / blimp of a business on the map, is now only available to donators. I however understand that there is a certain /need/ to make donator perks appealing to people, to have people get the donator perks, in order to support the server from a community perspective, I feel like that the /bad command is essential for the server's ecenomy and community, because this is how people find each other, how business are ran. If business owners are required to pay real life cash in order to run their business successfully and made in-game profit, there is something going wrong. I am of opinion that you roleplay for the experience, and not to win. So the term 'pay to win' is a bad term to use. But in this case, I will use it because there's no better way to describe this situation. 

But in order to not be a pouter, and point fingers at the staff and shout at them to fix it, I figured I'd come up with a solution to replace bad for something else that will also make donator perks appealing to people, but it won't make people able to win from others. It's just a fun little tool that this server doesn't seem to have yet. And it's called cruise-control on vehicles. It's rather easily implemented, and if you add this to donator perks, donator perks will still have a fun, exclusive command to use, but it will not give donators the financial benefit ICly (in-game), over non-donators anymore. 

Commands to add: /cc and possibly attach it to a hotkey.

Items to add: No items to add.

How would your suggestion improve the server? I believe I've explained how it improves the server already above. But basically, it keeps donator perks appealing to the public. It will provide support for the server upkeep. And at the same time, it won't give donators an IC benefit over non-donators.

Additional information

A tutorial on how to add cruise control. I've seen this on other servers too, and it works perfectly.

https://rage.mp/forums/topic/991-cruise-control/

• Thanks 3

Agreed. I don't get why it's only limited to donators. Without this blip it's very hard to open a business and get people to come, as it is now you need to p2w in order to get clients. Awful. Hopefully it will be changed. 

Big agree.

Paying RL money should never give you advantages, but in GTA:W it does, at least if you run a business. 

You’re not going to get a single customer or any RP without /bad, especially if there’s already some blips placed out on the map. That is bullshit and simply shouldn’t work that way.

Whilst I agree with your points re /bad, I don't think outright replacing it with a completely different concept is right. Furthermore, cruise control is arguably a quality of life feature (allowing you to type whilst driving; sticking to a limit so the mean piggies don't arrest you) and if it was gated behind payment then I'm sure people would complain about the server being "pay to enjoy".

I mean, let's not pretend that we don't have tons of features that are "pay for an advantage" already.

• I'm fairly disappointed that we have to pay for the privilege of blocking PM's from particular players, now.
  • If a cooldown between leaving a mechanical job was designed to encourage server quality, why can you donate to eliminate the cooldown?
  • Are we under any illusion that a "name change" is anything other than paying for an asset transfer?
  • Perhaps the worst offender - all donator features are linked to a character, not to an account.

Not to say I don't understand the necessity for a cash flow to keep the server up, but I'm of the belief that walk styles and cosmetic changes are the way to go about it if we truly want to claim to be concerned about the quality of play on the server - not borderline essential features or circumventing purportedly "immersive" restrictions. The idea that a name change has ever been anything other than an asset transfer is just abhorrent to me - especially considering we pretend that there's even a uniform standard by which asset transfers are accepted.

Stick with number changes, plate changes, pets, maybe even weapon paint changes (since that's a thing we can probably do, now.)

4 hours ago, Westen said:

Whilst I agree with your points re /bad, I don't think outright replacing it with a completely different concept is right. Furthermore, cruise control is arguably a quality of life feature (allowing you to type whilst driving; sticking to a limit so the mean piggies don't arrest you) and if it was gated behind payment then I'm sure people would complain about the server being "pay to enjoy".

I get what you mean. But I don't believe in presenting an issue without also thinking about a way to fix it. And this was my way to present the issue of /bad being bad for GTA:W in it's current state and also presenting a direct way to replace it as I do understand the need to make donator perks interesting.

There's unfortunately always those who will complain, and some would say that the ideal way to do donations is to don't do them at all. But a server doesn't run for free and we can't have that burden rest on the shoulders of the already hard working people of the team that works at developing this server even further. 

Even with paying for cosmetic items, people will have ways to complain. I for one value cosmetics more over something like /bad because it allows me to express myself, and most importantly my character. Especially when it comes to hair and clothes. 

But I'm glad so many people responded to give feedback on this matter. Maybe there are people who can suggest a better solution instead, and we'll get through this as a community.

I don't know how we are going to make money and rp with the players the people that we have business in rare places or out of town.

They've limited the scripted job for reinforce the RP Business, but how are we going to use our RP businesses if we have to pay IRL money to be seen?

I know, the server must be paid with donations, but this affects the roleplay, and as a player i am, i won't buy a business if i won't get money and roleplay with it.

Here i gave some reason:

My suggestion would be, that the "blip" appears when the owner opens the business and that in the workshops is activated by using the  startshift, the "/bad" can continue to exist as a perk for donations, it can be used to create events, as they usually do at the resort on the outskirts.

We want to roleplay, we don't want to stand in Mirror Park to watch the time go by, without icons we don't know where we have to go, or where the players have to go, yesterday i didn't bother to step on the workshop where i work, because i already lost two hours waiting and nobody came the day before.

I forgot to add, yes, we can send the location, but it is not realistic, since a company doesn't expressly send the location to the clients, and even less using an employee's phone number, people use the internet in real life to know the place, even the Google map, even has GPS.

Edited by Jennie
  • Upvote 4