A better GPS system and no more business icons

Right now GPS systems serve little purpose. You can only use them on exact addresses and I guess to roleplay a tracker but that whole system is buggy anyways.

What I propose is that the GPS system is revamped to include:

• The GPS system is changed to have two buyable versions. That's not really a necessity for the suggestion. I just thought if there's two versions then that's one way to circulate more money and make it so not all cars are trackable like that. The cost between the two shouldn't be very much if they are separate. 
  • The basic version would just be the actual GPS that can handle addresses and see a list of opened businesses. 
  • The enhanced version will include a GPS tracker as well that can be used to find the car. That can work two ways so it has a downside, the car can be traced by the police if they have a warrant and all that or with permission if it's stolen I guess.
  • With this system there will be a menu that can be accessed on 'I' or by /gps to find an address, get to the closest X business, and access a list of businesses by categorization (Convenient stores, tattoo parlors, salons, clubs, park, hospital, and so on). Of those businesses, only OPEN businesses should be displayed. It could be optional maybe to show unopened ones as well so those can be found too. Landmark locations and places that provide scripted services regardless of if it's manned or not would be displayed at all times. 
  • With that change, icons altogether would be removed except for the scripted businesses that got to be there. 
  • In addition to the address system there can be a way to get a suggested address if you type out only a street name. So if I put Forum Drive all the forum drive addresses will pop up. That'd make the address command actually useful in that aspect. 
  • Certain phones from the phone store would have a basic GPS included. 
  • With the tracker system put in vehicles would then be able to be found via the phone interface or MDC so it can be done remotely. If it's too powerful to have it update automatically each time it's typed there could be a delay on the command so it can only be used once every one or two minutes. 
  • To negate the tracker being an issue for criminals, the tracker could be disabled scriptly. That'd just include roleplayed the action out and typing the command. 
  • There could potentially be the option to save preset destinations like with contacts. That would give a big boost in usefulness to the GPS system. 
  • Regardless of the business type with this, preferably /startshift would be something any business could do while relatively near the entrance or interior. If those were logged for owners in the future that would be useful. For this suggestion, that could be used instead for marking them as opened easily with a familiar command.  

Why should this happen?

• There's too many icons all over the place on the map and it makes the server look like GTAO or rather FiveM. It also mixes IC and OOC since some businesses have icons while others do not. Overall it's a bad system, reeks of MG and isn't creative. The system I'm saying isn't the most creative either but it's at least very useful, user friendly for everyone, and ultimately optional.
  • GPS systems are useless right now. They may as well not exist. If these changes were done they would be extremely useful all around and it would all be in character.
  • Finding desynced vehicles is pretty much impossible without an admin. The ones that tend to get desynced are boats, motorcycles, ATVs, and bicycles. 
  • Players can easily access what businesses are open while in their cars. But hey, I'm not opposed to this being put in the phone system either. I just want a better GPS system overall. 
  • All businesses that are actively roleplayed would benefit from it and would no longer need to do 'SMS for location' unless they actually wanted to. They could instead just put their address or just put that they're open. To an extent, this can lower the amount of ads but probably not by too much. 
  • If the GPS is done on phones it could be a package added onto the more expensive phones so they have a better value. If that's done then the GPS for vehicles would basically just be a GPS tracker scriptly. So on top of that it can add value to phones.
  • To answer Nervous saying 'It's such an important donator perk', that sounds like a problem with how you structured donator statuses more than anything else. It is special treatment for IC assets that directly influences income. There are other ways to work around having icons all over the map like... A GPS System and not giving out businesses to almost everyone in a short period of time. It also makes people not want to donate because, why would anyone other than p2w players want to support such a practice? Me personally, no thanks. Off the top of my head you could actually put more than one namechange in donator packages to make people want them.  Not even LSRP follows such a gross money grab, in fact they got a good portion of the described GPS system. Anyways, disregarding that, businesses that don't got script incentives to go are severely hurt by icons being the only way to easily find places other than /ad in game. That fact discourages people from wanting to try creative ideas when it comes to businesses.  The reason by the way people don't say it is because that fact is in many ways this server hasn't displayed a willingness to change when it comes to things being asked like that. 
Edited by Momo's Revenge

I personally disagree with the 'no more business icons' part. I don't consider the icons a form of metagaming. And I'll explain why. 

If I look at my google maps, I can see all businesses on my google maps. And that's just on my phone. In my car, which even has outdated GPS in it, I can also find all local businesses in my direct general area. So ICly it's realistically possible to find businesses via those icons, ICly. I don't consider the map in the slightest OOC. I always consider it IC, either by phone or by gps in a vehicle. Beside that point, I believe it's very convenient. I remember there not being any icons for businesses and it took me ages to find a business. Now, every business has an icon. What I would instead like to see is to have all businesses icons on the map, all the time. And have them light up green when they are open. Not going to make a seperate suggestion on that, just mentioning it while we're on the subject. 

On the other hand. If there could be a way to disable literally all icons from the map when you're not in the posession of a phone, or on a vehicle. And all icons pop on the moment you enter a vehicle, or are in a posession of a phone. That'd be a great idea. But removing the icons entirely, I'm against, personally. 

On the GPS part on vehicles and such.. personally, I don't use that system much. So I cannot really add any feedback on that. 

47 minutes ago, cookiejar said:

I personally disagree with the 'no more business icons' part. I don't consider the icons a form of metagaming. And I'll explain why. 

If I look at my google maps, I can see all businesses on my google maps. And that's just on my phone. In my car, which even has outdated GPS in it, I can also find all local businesses in my direct general area. So ICly it's realistically possible to find businesses via those icons, ICly. I don't consider the map in the slightest OOC. I always consider it IC, either by phone or by gps in a vehicle. Beside that point, I believe it's very convenient. I remember there not being any icons for businesses and it took me ages to find a business. Now, every business has an icon. What I would instead like to see is to have all businesses icons on the map, all the time. And have them light up green when they are open. Not going to make a seperate suggestion on that, just mentioning it while we're on the subject. 

On the other hand. If there could be a way to disable literally all icons from the map when you're not in the posession of a phone, or on a vehicle. And all icons pop on the moment you enter a vehicle, or are in a posession of a phone. That'd be a great idea. But removing the icons entirely, I'm against, personally. 

On the GPS part on vehicles and such.. personally, I don't use that system much. So I cannot really add any feedback on that. 

The metagame I'm referring to is that donator status is what is putting those icons on the map rather than if those businesses are being roleplayed at or not being on the map. Nervous is right that no business deserves special treatment like that. Therefore, no business should benefit from a p2w model. Donator statuses shouldn't at all be interacting w/ your ability to promote your business activities past discord commands. Whether there are actual icons or not, making it rely purely on a GPS system whether that's a phone or a car system makes it so everything about you knowing a business is open or not is dependent on IC assets. I don't think they would approve having icons because at least for garages the issue was they put too many in and now there's 20. In the future there'll be more businesses when roleplayed ones are more viable. A part of reason why roleplayed businesses are less viable is because if you aren't a donator whether or not your business is found depends on "SMS for location" or being in an easy to spot place. 

The other reason to use the GPS system instead for icons is so that people really got to hopefully notice other businesses that are open as well instead of just who is a gold donator.  I wouldn't mind toggable icons via the GPS system but I got a feeling that would be a lot harder to do and in turn would take a lot more time. 

Edited by Momo's Revenge
I added on some more for clarification.

I don't agree with the overall majority of this topic but I will agree on one thing. The fact that Donators can put an icon over their business is simply blatant pay-to-win. You open without an icon? You maybe get 5-10 people stop by. With an icon? You'll get anywhere from 30-60.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Rensai said:

The fact that Donators can put an icon over their business is simply blatant pay-to-win. You open without an icon? You maybe get 5-10 people stop by. With an icon? You'll get anywhere from 30-60.

Agree with that.

8 hours ago, Rensai said:

I don't agree with the overall majority of this topic but I will agree on one thing. The fact that Donators can put an icon over their business is simply blatant pay-to-win. You open without an icon? You maybe get 5-10 people stop by. With an icon? You'll get anywhere from 30-60.

5-10?

Say thanks if they find find the location. ?

I just saw this has already been implemented with garages too. Now, most garages with regular employees don't get customers either. ?

I mean. I get there needs to be a way to fund the server, with donations. I myself have donated in the past and may do so again in the future as well. But I feel like placing things like this in a donator package is unfair. When roleplaying, you should never go for the win but for the experience. So using the term pay-to-win, feels a bit wrong. But it certainly is leaning that way right now. - This doesn't benefit either parties (business owners, customers), because customers can't find the business and business owners don't get their business found.

Edited by cookiejar