Chernobyl

stringer

p16695117_b_v8_ab.jpg

Chernobyl is a new Mini-Series on HBO about the CNPP disaster, next episode is coming on the 13th of may. It's probably one of the top series I've watched, the atmosphere is unmatched and pretty much everything is on point. Watching this feels a lot more scary and eerie than 90% of the horror movies out there.

4 minutes ago, Thimble said:

Awesome show, I just hope the allegations that they inserted fictional characters that are more prominent than the actual true to life ones aren't true.

Well they all seem to be real, Dyatlov, Legasov, Shchrebina, Vasily, Fomin,etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_involvement_in_the_Chernobyl_disaster

Here's an article that has most of the main characters (Staff, government, etc). I wouldn't recommend reading it since probably spoilers.

Edited by Rozi
3 minutes ago, Rozi said:

Well they all seem to be real, Dyatlov, Legasov, Shchrebina, Vasily, Fomin,etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_involvement_in_the_Chernobyl_disaster

Here's an article that has most of the main characters (Staff, government, etc). I wouldn't recommend reading it since probably spoilers.

I'm talking more about this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/television/review-chernobyl-hbo.html

"The biggest and most artificial contrivance is the creation of a fictional character, a Belarusian scientist played by Emily Watson who takes a suspicious radiation reading in Minsk and magically, preposterously takes over the story. She’s everywhere at the same time, forcing herself onto the investigatory commission, sitting in on meetings with Gorbachev, raiding government archives, interviewing engineers in their hospital beds, single-handedly uncovering the secret history of the faulty reactor. (If Mazin wanted a prominent female character to leaven a story dominated by men, why did he leave out Maria Protsenko, the architect who designed Pripyat and supervised its evacuation?)"

7 minutes ago, Thimble said:

I'm talking more about this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/television/review-chernobyl-hbo.html

"The biggest and most artificial contrivance is the creation of a fictional character, a Belarusian scientist played by Emily Watson who takes a suspicious radiation reading in Minsk and magically, preposterously takes over the story. She’s everywhere at the same time, forcing herself onto the investigatory commission, sitting in on meetings with Gorbachev, raiding government archives, interviewing engineers in their hospital beds, single-handedly uncovering the secret history of the faulty reactor. (If Mazin wanted a prominent female character to leaven a story dominated by men, why did he leave out Maria Protsenko, the architect who designed Pripyat and supervised its evacuation?)"

Seems more like fake news to me, all the episodes aren't even released yet, and I don't believe the people at HBO sent review copies of the whole series to a chump at NYT. I'll have to wait and see as I don't trust the media, especially the American one.

Edited by Rozi
Just now, Thimble said:

I hope it isn't true either, but permitting reviewers early access to a product is a pretty common occurrence so I wouldn't discount it on that basis. NYT is still a pretty notable platform.

"Khomyuk is a fictional character that represents "the dozens of scientists who helped investigate the crisis as it unfolded," according to an Ars Technica report. "

In this case they probably added it to simplify the story a bit, since having a ton of important scientists would confuse a lot of people. Plus it's a TV series, not a documentary, so a bit of fiction is allowed in terms of reducing multiple scientists into one.

• 2 months later...

What happens when everything that can go wrong, goes wrong.

It's interesting how something that happened in real life is much more interesting and engaging than a lot of fiction created to reel people in. It's a genuine show that reveals the insanity to which people were subjected to.

Soviet Union (eS eS eS eR), was something else I tell you, all the stories I've heard from my parents and grandparents are crazy but believable since nothing was sacred. They should make more shows about that time, like KGB, different countries dealing with Soviet reign and how now people are being exposed for snitching on their own neighbors, friends and even family for privilege."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gall locked this topic