A change to the current Traffic Lights / Traffic Rules

Short description: 

I propose making changes to the current traffic lights and how they work. There is kind of a double standard with a couple traffic rules and I feel this would improve the realism on the server as well as make laws more consistent.

Detailed description:

Currently (as I've been told by a PD officer ICly and Admin through /helpme) traffic lights are to be used as more of a "caution" to other cars. If it's a red light, approach with caution to other cars but it's not necessarily required to come to a full stop if no cars are present. In contrast to that, I've been told that a "STOP", whether it's on a sign or on the road, one must come to a full stop regardless. If not, one can be ticketed for this traffic violation. This kind of breeds a double standard on where one car should be required to stop per realistic traffic laws. Not to mention that going through an intersection is dangerous enough with some people not even slowing down if they don't see a car (sometimes by mistake, which causes accidents). 

I propose (if possible), to add in code/script or whatever the technical term is, to have the traffic lights change on a timer. Not a long one, but 3-5 seconds. Then you can institute the traffic rule back that would require people to USE traffic lights as you would in real life (green light means go, red light means stop). Unlike having to stop at EVERY traffic light, they could be used as real traffic lights. The 3-5 second timer would mean they don't have to wait very long if it's red and should alleviate a lot of the issues with accidents, consistency of traffic laws, etc. 

How would your suggestion improve the server?

I feel that this would add more realism to the server, being that traffic laws currently require people to STOP at a stop sign/stop notice on the road. Having working traffic lights for people to follow would simply just fall in line with that. Intersections would be less dangerous with people being required to stop at a red light. It would be a lot more black & white for people traveling through cities. The short timer for lights to change would help people who might complain about having to now follow the lights, but 3-5 seconds isn't a long time to wait (so don't complain lol).

I've always treated intersections IG as priority to the right intersections which usually works great. A simple yet effective change could be this, because I assume that making actually scripted traffic lights would be highly difficult, take up resources and desync would play it's part anyway.

I don't know how easy putting them on a timer would be, personally I think a good solution could just be displaying traffic rules more clearly, as I've noticed many people don't actually know the laws until informed by PD or an Admin. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently traffic lights are synced, but I've seen people often stop on green and go on red ever since I started playing in October 2018. So there must be some desync issues with them.

Also the main problem I have with traffic lights is how fast they change. You stop at red, go on green and the next set of lights go red before you reach them, and this seems to be an endless loop of stopping and starting in areas where there's a lot of traffic lights. It also doesn't give you much time to talk and RP with any passengers you have in your vehicle whilst you're stopped at red as it doesn't stay on for long. In my opinion, traffic light timers need to be increased for these reasons.

I also think it would be a great benefit to all players if the LSPD had an official document on their website that lists all traffic rules clearly in accordance to correct server RP, so we don't have to guess what is lawful or not ICly. Maybe something like THIS?. This would be a great benefit to law-abiding characters so we know the correct rules of the road and don't accidently violate them during driving RP.

10 hours ago, Humour said:

The current traffic lights in-game are in fact synchronized. If it's red for you, it's red for someone on the same side.

That's a hot negative. I was testing that out with a friend weeks ago and when my light turned green it was yellow to red for them. The desync is still present from what I've noticed.