Elections & Player-Run Government

I think the server has reached the point in both terms of size and quality of RP to allow for a proper government with an election system. I've done this before in an RP server so I wouldn't mind writing up a draft as a suggestion if the interest is there.

What do you think about the possibility of elections and a proper working government with a working senate/house of representatives? Would it be a state-level government (my personal preference due to differences in power), or a city-level government?

So many new features can come from this, and not all of them even have to be scripted - for example, lobbying, could business owners pressure the government into working in one direction, could the opposition expose this? Corruption, how would that work, how would it be counteracted? Legislation and drug law - could upset very powerful people in the streets, but do they have the power to combat it? Budgets, that would be in the hands of the players and their elected representatives. 

I would love to write a draft for a system to submit for consideration, but first I need to hear YOUR ideas, so let's hear them! What are the pros and cons, what would you like to see?

• Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, HaveADream said:

I'd be happy to draft up my suggestions, the sooner that we can get something like this sorted, the more opportunities can be seized.

Honestly from past experience of other servers I've been on, the moment the Mayor was elected he went in-active and well government was in-active as well.

Just now, Vash Baldeus said:

Honestly from past experience of other servers I've been on, the moment the Mayor was elected he went in-active and well government was in-active as well.

I'm inclined to agree, but we shouldn't not do something because it didn't work elsewhere, I like to think, with this server being much more focused on legal RP more than over servers, we could make a success of it.

We do need to find a way to make government RP fun and to get people who are interested in it to do it.