[FAQ] Mining

MINING - Frequently Asked Questions

Mining is understandably an attractive job for the newer player, but many don't seem to understand the various complexities and logistics around it. I don't think a full-length guide is needed but I've put together a non-exhaustive list of common misconceptions and questions. In no particular order. 

DO I NEED A LICENSE?

A mining license is only an IC requirement, there is a license for each type of ore. If you wish to mine without a license you risk being fined or having your ore confiscated. It's also not against the server rules to mine, which seems to be a surprisingly common misconception amidst new players.

CAN ANYONE MINE?

Yes anyone can, but does it mean that you should just because you can? No. Consider whether or not it's a vocation that suits your character, given their background. It's a very physically demanding, and skilled job from an IC perspective. Not just anyone would be able to walk in off the street and say "Hey, I'd like to work as a miner please. I need to raise money for a new car."

CAN I USE MY SEDAN?

No, unrefined & refined ores are heavy and not to mention very dirty. Ordinary vehicles simply wouldn't be able to transport them in sufficient quantities. To give some perspective here is a picture of some unrefined copper

RAW COPPER:

El3KYqN.jpg

REFINED COPPER:

sFgjegS.jpg

Now would you put lots of this stuff in the back of your family car? Or your brand new Audi? I didn't think so. Use an appropriate industrial vehicle to transport your ores like a Mule, or other truck would do the job. This not only applies to people who are mining the ores themselves, but anyone considering robbing these items off another player.

OK COOL, BUT CAN I MINE IN MY ARMANI SUIT?

No, whether it's an Armani suit or a sweet pair of hotpants you should dress your character appropriately for the job. Again, it's very dirty and physically demanding. You would need protective gear to protect your body, even your face from dirt and from flying debris.

SUGGESTED GEAR:

5lDbewM.jpg

WHAT DOES THE RED OR GREEN MEAN IN THE MARKET INFO?

The red and green is an indicator of demand but doesn't necessarily reflect the most valuable ore. You should find that out IC.

WHY CAN'T I MINE ANYMORE?

It's likely that you have reached the asset cap. When your net worth (value of cash in hand, cars properties etc) equals $400k or more, you won't be able to mine. This is a cap put in place to help curb unrealistic use of the system. We want to encourage players towards the roleplay and player provided jobs as soon as possible, rather than encourage grinding for assets.

NOTE: All information is correct at time of posting, it is likely to change depending on how the mining system is reworked in the future. 

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic