Allow GC holders to purchase more firearms

Rensai

58 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

With the advent of the serial system, it's easy to trace them in-game too. Still, I'm sympathetic to the argument that more PF weapons means more potential straw purchases, and detecting the weapons is well and good but does little to remedy the fact that the criminals... already have the weapons and/or used them in commission of a crime. The new system is still in its relative infancy, so we'll see what comes of it, but I'm of the opinion that allowing too many purchases will open the door to more straw buyers.

As someone involved in their fair share of security guard RP though, I've only ever had to draw my weapon a handful of times in the past few months - let alone fire it. If you're suffering a large series of PKs and burglaries, I would present the possibility that someone is targeting you (whether because of a vendetta or because of how easy they believe it is to get your weapons is another matter entirely.)

This sort of situation requires a better solution than simply purchasing more firearms, obviously - and an IC one at that.

I hear you, and I'm not suffering a "large series" of PKs and burglaries. (I've only ever actually been PK'd once) My home's been burgled once, and I've been robbed once or twice. And to reiterate, I've only had to draw my weapon a handful of times I've been doing this, and have never had to fire it. So while I've never been stopped from buying a weapon due to this limitation, it could happen, just due to random chance, despite taking every precaution possible.

To the PF concerns, I agree. Too many criminals have the PF and CCW licenses, which is why I'm only speaking to the GC license aspect. Mostly because having a weapon is, you know, part of their career. And if two incidents randomly happen within 30 days, then you basically just lose contracts. People keep mentioning that oh well it must be happening too much. If the allowance was 4? I'd agree. But the allowance is 2, in 30 days. That's not a large number. I could see how that could happen very easily. 30 days is a long time on the server.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, Rensai said:

I just don't even know where you're getting this assumption. That's not why I made this post so that "it doesn't matter if I die as long as i can still get guns hurr durr!" I made this post for the purposes of roleplay. So that's guards careers won't be ruined if they happen to get robbed or die twice in a month (which is a really really long time, btw. I'd understand if it was maybe 14 days.) But back to your point, people should always act in a way of self preservation, but I really appreciate you taking the worst possible interpretation of my suggestion @Westen

Most guards also hold CCW's.

Varies ways on and off-duty. Most Guards have CCW licenses. Sometimes you get robbed off-duty.

I believe you are the one misunderstanding. I have never fired my weapon on security duty. Not once, never happened. When a shoot out happens, I tell everyone to get down, call 911, and get my weapon ready in case I do have to fire after taking cover.

Again, you are just assuming the worst for no reason. You really don't think its possible to lose two weapons in one month on-duty or off? Sometimes shit just happens. For instance I was robbed yesterday off-duty. Three guys just rolled up to me, I had absolutely no control over that. So if it happens again within four weeks I guess its just "GuEsS yOu ShOuLd hAvE bEeN mOrE cArEfUl" Yeah seems like a great reason for someone to just be unable to continue their career for a month, because they were robbed out of no-where.

Man, this. Y'all don't even know what happened to the guards before you start lecturing them to "be more careful next time". We need some way to get a gun if a shitty borderline "fail RP" situation happens, otherwise we are just not fit to work. I had no control over my guns being gone. One has been stolen by my car getting chopped which is reasonable, but the other time I had no control over resisting. I was just going off duty to discuss something IC, we got attacked in a bar and when I walked out I got shot in the head because the guys were camping us. I had nowhere to store the gun and no vehicle to go with because my car got chopped before. And still you ain't going to let me get another gun?

Having 4 guns instead of 2 or even 3 is not the end of the world. In fact, it makes it so right now businesses have a monopoly on ammunations because there's a limited market. If you still put a limitation on bullets that's the same then the guns aren't anymore useful than they were before. 

There are ways to make a compromise, y'all are just too proud to admit it. @Momo's Revenge's suggestion is very good. How about we limit the ammo sales instead of guns? I'm not saying that the limit for guns should be removed completely, but adjust it a bit higher at least for the GC holders. Guards that are not trigger happy but suffer these random robberies or assaults can be happy then because they will always have ammo to spare and won't have to stress OOC so much.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, Thurnus said:

There are ways to make a compromise, y'all are just too proud to admit it. @Momo's Revenge's suggestion is very good. How about we limit the ammo sales instead of guns? I'm not saying that the limit for guns should be removed completely, but adjust it a bit higher at least for the GC holders. Guards that are not trigger happy but suffer these random robberies or assaults can be happy then because they will always have ammo to spare and won't have to stress OOC so much.

The current limit is 200 bullets afaik which is more than enough for shootouts and allows you do target practice. I might be wrong about this because I didn't try but you also aren't able to get the three guns you got approved for anyways in a month.  At the least that covers the # of approved weapons you would get off a PF anyways so it should've been 3 from the jump. So in the first month if someone wanted they could either save one of those slots for a replacement gun if they lose it or for a second pistol, shotgun or rifle if they put more than one roleplayed type on their paperwork instead of going for three different types. 

With all that being said, I don't got much stake in this anyways. I just dislike that I've seen a guard that couldn't work for a month because they lost a gun once and even one more gun would make ammunations a more viable business.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, Rensai said:

To clarify: This is not only about losing the guns when guarding. You can lose your weapon off-duty as well. Either robbed from you or from your home. My home was robbed and a weapon was stolen. I had the "best" alarm, a 9-pin safe, CCTV inside and out. Sometimes you can take every precaution and still lose your weapon due to bad luck or circumstance. This is not to protect people from going rambo. If this is implemented, and you see a guard, or anyone charging head-first into a situation with no regard for their life then report them.

Some characters depend on being able to do this career. And like I said above about the home robbery you can take every precaution and it can still happen. But if it happens twice in a given month? Oops, find a different career path then, dickhead. Change the complete storyline of your character, thanks. It completely ruins RP and makes no sense.

You were offered a solution which is a stash car and you called it "shitty roleplay". I wouldn't agree with this suggestion.

4 hours ago, DeadlyMask said:

You were offered a solution which is a stash car and you called it "shitty roleplay". I wouldn't agree with this suggestion.

Stash cars are shitty roleplay. I'm not into gaming the system. If having a gun locked up behind two layers of CCTV security, two locked doors, and a 9pin safe isn't careful enough and you suggest 'lol stash car' then you're just unreasonable.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic