Driving in a roleplay server

While desync and lag has a lot to play, I can definitely tell you of many occasions where desync or lag wasn't the issue. I know I am using courier a lot here, but this is a primary example of people 'playing to win' by grinding, driving as fast as they can, to get more money, in less time.

There are both OOC and IC solutions and issues.

One I see often is people driving through road closure scenes, which happens very often in GTA World (particularly in South LS and Mirror Park where a lot of poor RP congregates) - this is an IC issue, but it does happen a lot more than in real life.

You can almost guarantee someone will drive through a scene, and yet it's not in their character's roleplay to do it.

You need to think to yourself - would my character drive through a police roadblock, run over a bunch of hoses, smash a load of medical equipment and narrowly miss some emergency vehicles? They may do - which is why the LSPD should definitely prosecute those who do which is an IC issue. But the amount of people who do it when you know their character would not, is unbelievable - and that's an OOC issue.

One thing we could do is introduce a Driving Instructor job? When offline, the driving school can be NPCd. But when a Driving Instructor is online, they have to do it with a person. Maybe at first they're admins and support members (like the ones who introduce you at the airport?), then employed by the government? Or maybe it's like /bjoin?

Either way I know I'd like to help people drive, as some people just don't know how to do it roleplaylishly. I know from being a Fire Captain teaching people to operate a fire apparatus, a lot of people just need that training to help them.

Most of the time it is the lag. I've had people PM me saying ((Why did you not RP that crash?)) when I didn't hit anyone on my screen. But yes I agree that people drive unrealistically on this server, they go 120MPH for no reason on public roads and never yield at intersections.

9 hours ago, Smonk said:

That said, as far as desync is concerned there's nothing you can really do until sync isnt an issue. Desync is desync, I could be going 60 miles an hour and somehow end up slamming into someone 40 feet ahead of me or to either side and occasionally even behind. I could be parked and not even moving and someone comes flying up behind me and suddenly goes from a buck 30 to 0 miles an hr in an instant because for them I was parked 3-4 feet to the right and they slammed into something that wasn't even actually there lmao (literally happened last time I was on). Saying it isn't an issue just because you were speeding and you should have to deal with it is just.. no. If it's a more realistic crash that actually makes sense and happened on both screens? (which is easy to tell) then by all means, roleplay it. If I'm keeping in the right lane creeping around a bend at 50-70mph and someones coming the opposite way, also keeping in their lane but desync pushes them over into my lane (evident by me flying back and they just keep going with no loss of speed) its obviously not either of our faults, so those incidents should be left to player choice, which in general most crashes are, regardless of what the rules say because at the end of the day if both parties agree, an admins hardly going to waste their time ruining someone's day when theres more important things to be done... unless they're in a bad mood, anyway, and feeling particularly strict.

Re guarding desync,  A seatbelt system could also aid in solving this as desyncing is both a rage issue and the issue of the player speeding so fast that the streamer cant catch up. It could also solve those who drive like fools all the time, cutting over yards and mountains and so forth.  Because besides the legal aspect of it, IE tickets winch aren't much of a threat, a death or injury aspect should also be involved. This way a player would be less inclined to take the risk for fear of ejection from the vehicle,  And i'm not talking a seatbelt system that keeps you alive from a crash, I guess i should have mentioned a more realistic crash system,  IE even with a seatbelt if a player hits something or drives off a cliff or so forth, depending on the impact they could receive certain injury's that would prevent them from driving and would require EMS attention,  Or even kill/wound them,  This way a crash is almost garenteed to lead to roleplay and on top of that depending on the crash it would even lead to PK, then the player would have to get the car towed/repaired, or cover impound costs.  A system like that would give EMS more interaction and need, and also make traffic accident scenes more likely to lead to a police investigation and issuance of a ticket or even jail time depending on the driver responsible surviving. Hell even manslaughter charges if someone else is hit.    If a player fears death, or extra costs, or depending kicks/bans they are more likely to drive normally but as  said before its more of a IC issue, winch should be solved or attempted to be solved with a IC response like new scripts or more police first before making it a OOC situation where admins have to deal with the issue themselves.  This is a heavy roleplay server, players should be already driving ICly and following the traffic laws, and remain IC at all times, admins shouldn't have to get themselves involved for something like this, but because driving and traffic lights aren't fully synced yet, and the emptiness is some areas, odds are i feel ooc enforcement is inevitable. 

15 hours ago, RevyBando said:

Re guarding desync,  A seatbelt system could also aid in solving this as desyncing is both a rage issue and the issue of the player speeding so fast that the streamer cant catch up. It could also solve those who drive like fools all the time, cutting over yards and mountains and so forth.  Because besides the legal aspect of it, IE tickets winch aren't much of a threat, a death or injury aspect should also be involved. This way a player would be less inclined to take the risk for fear of ejection from the vehicle,  And i'm not talking a seatbelt system that keeps you alive from a crash, I guess i should have mentioned a more realistic crash system,  IE even with a seatbelt if a player hits something or drives off a cliff or so forth, depending on the impact they could receive certain injury's that would prevent them from driving and would require EMS attention,  Or even kill/wound them,  This way a crash is almost garenteed to lead to roleplay and on top of that depending on the crash it would even lead to PK, then the player would have to get the car towed/repaired, or cover impound costs.  A system like that would give EMS more interaction and need, and also make traffic accident scenes more likely to lead to a police investigation and issuance of a ticket or even jail time depending on the driver responsible surviving. Hell even manslaughter charges if someone else is hit.    If a player fears death, or extra costs, or depending kicks/bans they are more likely to drive normally but as  said before its more of a IC issue, winch should be solved or attempted to be solved with a IC response like new scripts or more police first before making it a OOC situation where admins have to deal with the issue themselves.  This is a heavy roleplay server, players should be already driving ICly and following the traffic laws, and remain IC at all times, admins shouldn't have to get themselves involved for something like this, but because driving and traffic lights aren't fully synced yet, and the emptiness is some areas, odds are i feel ooc enforcement is inevitable. 

We had a seatbelt system. They removed it because people complained that they had to type /sb when entering a car.

Edited by Rensai

People complained about /sb? Heh... do they complain also about irl version where they actually have to put the seatbelt on? Stupid.

I do it to this day, it just became a habit, even if it doesn't work anymore.

Edited by Engelbert

Two points I'd like to give my input on, speed cameras & seatbelts.

I'll start with the latest, seatbelts. I understand the reason why some people find them annoying in the game. The question for me is, can you make them actually viable to a degree that, the nuisance they are is outweighed by their benefits. If vehicles work similar to how they did on SA-MP, aka have health points, then it could potentially be done as for which I would suggest the following:

Upon impact into any surface, through a jump, or crash or whatever really, take the damage number caused by the impact, divide it by 100 or 1000 so it scales to player health and have it be reduced from the player(s) health points in the vehicle. If a player or if players are not wearing a seatbelt have it so that the fully scaled down damage from the vehicle is applied to them. If a player wears a seatbelt reduce the applied damage by 50 or more percent.

Sure, it definitely is not the best solution but it is one where one can feel the difference between wearing one or not. Especially because I believe GTA V has dynamic vehicle damage numbers depending on the source of the impact (side, weight, et al). This combined with the potential of receiving a hefty fine, plus later down the line maybe even losing his/her license should make people feel less annoyed by the system since it can save the players lives.

Regarding (static) speed cameras, I have never found them particularly useful if not actually operated by a player. Why? Since, there is no direct impact on one's driving. You receive a text popup, maybe a strike/point on your license but that's about and since they should be kept in line with most of the economy, you can't make up an extraordinary high fine for just 10/15 miles over the limit. You would need a "dynamic" system that can differentiate between how "severe" the speeding was, if you even want to keep fully automatic.

Another solution is, that the speeding report is sent to the PD incl. the license plate, the speed, the location, the time and date. They could then process it, set an appropriate ticket, and send it out to the offender incl. a date to appear at the local police station to pay the fine or cheque/deposition order to the account where all the other fines are being collected in, and if it is not paid in time you can issue a warrant for outstanding fine. Which in my point of view would be equal to a player operated speed trap, traffic checkpoint or similar.

Edited by Marcus.
  • Upvote 1

Can't agree with the damage for crashes considering 99.9% of the times I'm hit it's some retard in a normal Jester, Grotti or some other expensive car going 130 and hitting me because he can't drive lmaoo. Would literally create chaos for admins with reports of "Some dumbass desynced into me and killed me, can I get a revive please"

Sounds nice, I agree, but won't work in practice. It's a shame really cause it's actually a cool idea and would provide a lot of rp but it'd cause way too many problems over good IMO.

Edited by Smonk
  • Perky locked this topic