Driving in a roleplay server

I see PDs stopping at intersections all the time. I do that too, even on red lights, though traffic lights fall to desync as well. Not as much as players, but still.

Anyway what I have quite often is a pedestrian or a biker appearing on the road in front me, why is it happening? Simply because as you drive the system draws the path for you including surroundings and general scenery, so! the faster you drive, slower the rendering goes.But in general unrealistic or not, people see an empty road, they speed up. And that's quite realistic.

I try to drive around the 50/60 mark but where can I actually find the road rules on this server? What is expected at traffic lights? Do we stop on red or do we simply yield and when safe to go move through?

14 hours ago, friendlyman said:

How would you enforce this? Ban people if they drive too fast?

There shouldn't be any near-misses if at least one party 'RPly' drives i.e. stopping at intersections but that doesn't happen because it makes it impossible to get anywhere with any speed. 

This is a non-issue, you're getting triggered by people speeding.

Have you tried it? Doesn't sound like you have and you're just assuming, it takes literally almost no extra time to slow down. Stop for intersections where you can't see well. It's not as if people in real life don't keep to traffic laws mostly, most people speed 10 mph tops depending on the type of street. lights are almost always followed. Yes, the streets are sometimes completely empty, or look it. Doesn't mean traffic is OOC or something.

11 hours ago, Stimo said:

I try to drive around the 50/60 mark but where can I actually find the road rules on this server? What is expected at traffic lights? Do we stop on red or do we simply yield and when safe to go move through?

The law afaik is stop on red, go when safe. Drive on when green because the other approaching red should stop.

Edited by Triple Seven
46 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

Have you tried it? Doesn't sound like you have and you're just assuming, it takes literally almost no extra time to slow down. Stop for intersections where you can't see well. It's not as if people in real life don't keep to traffic laws mostly, most people speed 10 mph tops depending on the type of street. lights are almost always followed. Yes, the streets are sometimes completely empty, or look it. Doesn't mean traffic is OOC or something.

The law afaik is stop on red, go when safe. Drive on when green because the other approaching red should stop.

Thanks Triple.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:08 PM, friendlyman said:

How would you enforce this? Ban people if they drive too fast?

There shouldn't be any near-misses if at least one party 'RPly' drives i.e. stopping at intersections but that doesn't happen because it makes it impossible to get anywhere with any speed. 

This is a non-issue, you're getting triggered by people speeding.

What server do you play on friend? Cause it sure sounds like its not a heavy RP server. Are you sure this is the correct server for you?

Honestly best way to deal with this is ICly,  change the law to where the road rules are more akin to Cali,  IE red means stop, and green means go, then gov should have LSPD do a traffic blitz, higher fines for tickets and maybe even jail time, so there is consequences for the player/character for consistently driving like a fool.  

OOCly enforceing it is where i'm like :K   yes its a heavy roleplay server, but driving is a IC action, it would make sense to be solved and encouraged ICly.  this is where fivem does well with ai vehicles and peds,  it makes the city feel lived in and also makes it easy to hide as a officer,  You as a player would be much more cautious to drive like a fool if there could be a cop up ahead hidden in traffic where as now on the roads you can see any cop since there is no ai traffic. in this case this is where removing or lowering the distance on the name tags also helps as any car could be a player to the driver and thus enforcing a sort of psudo action as the players i found on five m tended to act more more sensible if they felt there was a player near,  icly and oocly people will always tend to be rash if no one is there to tell them other wise, but if they suspect there is someone watching or even have the hint of it they tend to ride it easy.

Honestly its not a easy issue to solve, yeah you could make it a rule call it "Non roleplay driving" But again driving is a ic action winch should be enforced icly, now maybe if the player is driving on train tracks  or climbing impassible hills that would be more OOCLY enforceable, but to enact a OOC rule where either players would have to report someone, with photo or video evidence of someone who happens to speed by them driving like a fool going though a red light, or a admin would have to consistently spend time watching the player base and kicking people for said actions when they could focus on other things.   In the case of reporting, how would you even enforce that?  in most cases a player reports someone for driving non rply, with a photo or video, but they don't know if there was roleplay interaction before the driving that lead to the red light running or the speeding, and they wouldn't be able to prove that or disprove that.

In the case of those that crash and move on like nothing, yeah that's non role play i 100% agree, besides the rules already state both party's have to agree to not role play a crash, so a simple report with evidence would solve that issue.

Sorry for the essay, but its just my viewpoint.

Edited by RevyBando

One idea would be to bring radars back (I think LSRP had them for some time), like the set ones (can even put some kind of realistic object I'm sure). 

If truckers could lose half of their route payments in speeding tickets, they will eventually learn and drive more careful - at least in certain areas/hotspots. I am aware this is not THE perfect solution to the problem, but it would limit speeding in certain areas at least...

I think the problem is, as much as I love the server, these server side jobs which invite people to non-rp because there is literally no roleplay involved. It's only timers and checkpoints. I think eventually we should move away from these jobs and new players can apply to IC firms (e.g some trucking company) and work for them (Player to Player, not Player to Server). 

2 hours ago, OfficerCode3 said:

One idea would be to bring radars back (I think LSRP had them for some time), like the set ones (can even put some kind of realistic object I'm sure). 

If truckers could lose half of their route payments in speeding tickets, they will eventually learn and drive more careful - at least in certain areas/hotspots. I am aware this is not THE perfect solution to the problem, but it would limit speeding in certain areas at least...

I think the problem is, as much as I love the server, these server side jobs which invite people to non-rp because there is literally no roleplay involved. It's only timers and checkpoints. I think eventually we should move away from these jobs and new players can apply to IC firms (e.g some trucking company) and work for them (Player to Player, not Player to Server). 

Agreed. Cameras should not be on every corner, places where speeding is dangerous, big intersections in the city, popular roads(Mirror Park), useless to put up speed cameras on a highway. 

That job thing, agreed as well. Hobbies should stay as something you can do to earn a little extra and relax, fishing for example. Jobs such as Trucker, Courier etc should have a fairly easy access but not just go /join and here you have a job. So maybe some kind of IG method, not a giant application for on forums. 

Edited by Lance
  • Upvote 1
On 5/5/2019 at 4:36 AM, Invictus said:

Speaking of street racing.. those who usually drive like idiots through LS are usually the cop baiters and the ones who tend to provoke. Imo those kind of people should be dealt with.

As someone who does a lot of car related roleplay, including mild streetracing (of a more realistic caliber, not need for speed gtao races mind you), many of the ones who just speed about mindlessly have a low standard of roleplay and typically do extremely dumb shit quite often are rarely punished for it sadly. The fact that they're even allowed to stay and continue to add onto the already sour eye that's casted on pretty much any roleplay regarding cars on GTA from the SA-MP days and the trashy car factions there full of mallrats that can't rp outside of "ey lmao wanna race around a rp hub for 100k bru?" 

I can wholeheartedly agree that people like that need to go. A 3 hour jail for being an idiot doesn't fix the issue because half of them fail to see the problem with their rp. It's kinda annoying when the communities view on a part of the RP scene on a server is undermined by shit rpers and constantly being thrown under that bus as well by people who've never seen mine or my friends roleplay nor roleplayed with us in the first place just because some dickhead decided a racing server wasn't enough.

--

onto the topic itself though;

I ironically i find that the non-racers that constantly insult and harass people for racing seem to drive just as retarded as the racers they shittalk. While im driving around, i VERY rarely ever run into someone that's also driving at the speedlimit or atleast around it, be it a lil slower or a lil higher. GTA RP and realistic driving just don't go hand in hand. It's always been a rarity in just about any server you go to. The only time most people drive realistically is if they see a cop and don't want to get a ticket or have to evade, while the rest of the time they just drive as fast as their car'll go. When they're just cruising having idle RP in the car with the homies is another example but even with those two, it's pretty fuckin rare. I personally don't FULLY RP drive, I tend to stay around 40-60 mph in the city and stop at the lights for high-traffic intersections, but otherwise I usually just drive without stopping and keep it around the speedlimit with the occasional 40-100 rolling pull just cause of the character being a young and dumb idiot with a license and a modified vehicle. The only time I really drive like an idiot is outside of city limits where theres near to no players ever or if my character's showing off for his friends being a typical west coast ricelord, or if I'm doing my best to keep up with someone that's driving like a moron (to which I'm usually telling them to stop driving like a moron in their PMs if its a friend).

That said, as far as desync is concerned there's nothing you can really do until sync isnt an issue. Desync is desync, I could be going 60 miles an hour and somehow end up slamming into someone 40 feet ahead of me or to either side and occasionally even behind. I could be parked and not even moving and someone comes flying up behind me and suddenly goes from a buck 30 to 0 miles an hr in an instant because for them I was parked 3-4 feet to the right and they slammed into something that wasn't even actually there lmao (literally happened last time I was on). Saying it isn't an issue just because you were speeding and you should have to deal with it is just.. no. If it's a more realistic crash that actually makes sense and happened on both screens? (which is easy to tell) then by all means, roleplay it. If I'm keeping in the right lane creeping around a bend at 50-70mph and someones coming the opposite way, also keeping in their lane but desync pushes them over into my lane (evident by me flying back and they just keep going with no loss of speed) its obviously not either of our faults, so those incidents should be left to player choice, which in general most crashes are, regardless of what the rules say because at the end of the day if both parties agree, an admins hardly going to waste their time ruining someone's day when theres more important things to be done... unless they're in a bad mood, anyway, and feeling particularly strict.

tl;dr: desync's desync, can't do shit about it. tired of seeing people immediately attacking the car scene (mostly because of SF and others like them) when the rest of the community (even cops, gangs and legal rpers) also drive like absolute morons. I can't recall how many times I've nearly been murdered by police while going 50mph. Complaining about this kinda shit is pointless, as people aren't gonna stop. Its a thing on lsrp, on rcrp, any server you go samp or gta, or anything with driving that is a rp server, people will drive like absolute dipshits. Racers or not.

That's my two cents, I could go on for years ranting about this shit cause I hate it (ask anyone that knows me, I bitch about it 24/7), but it's 2am I need shleep bois.

• Perky locked this topic