Fans speeding up when playing RageMP.

Westen

I got an I7 8700k @4.3ghz. CPU temp maxes out at like 50c for me at 100% usage. Got an Corsair hydro on a 360rad with push/pull config.

Since you have an Asus board you propably want to disable "mce" - (multicore enhancement) this boost setting is on by stock and does barley nothing performance wise, except heating the CPU up. By disabling that you should see significant thermal changes.

Edited by Zweepuh
10 minutes ago, Zweepuh said:

I got an I7 8700k @4.5ghz. CPU temp maxes out at like 50c for me. Got an Corsair hydro on a 360rad with push/pull config.

Since you have an Asus board you propably want to disable "mce" - (multicore enhancement) this boost setting is on by stock and does barley nothing performance wise, except heating the CPU up. By disabling that you should see significant thermal changes.

That sounds perfect. How would I go about doing this?

1 hour ago, Gryffin said:

Since GTA 5 is a CPU intensive title, it can make sense that you're only experiencing this when playing said game.

With that said, it does sound like you may be running a stock/low end cooler (correct me if I'm wrong, thought I recognized the noise) on a 9700K. Even if it's not overclocked(which it can't be on a B360 anyway), it's very likely that those coolers simply can't cool the CPU appropriately. If you do have a beefy CPU cooler and the radiators are clean of dust, only reasonable guess is either poor thermal paste application or the cooler isn't seated properly. Might be a good idea to take it apart and take a look, clean off the old paste and reapply new. Then when you set the cooler back up, it should sit even to get the results you want.

If it's indeed the intel stock cooler you're using, it's time to get something else! It's well known that they're only a good idea for multimedia/office PCs. Something like the Cryorig H7/Hyper 212 Evo are decent options for about 20-30$.

I'll look into that, cheers.

Just now, Westen said:

That sounds perfect. How would I go about doing this?

BIOS > Advanced > Multi-core Enhancement > OFF and save.

After you have done this download Prime95 and Hwmonitor and bench the CPU. Might want to take a look at them thermals so it doesnt fry itself in the long run.  Sending you my numbers here so you have something to go with! 

received_360086024765292.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Zweepuh said:

BIOS > Advanced > Multi-core Enhancement > OFF and save.

After you have done this download Prime95 and Hwmonitor and bench the CPU. Might want to take a look at them thermals so it doesnt fry itself in the long run.  Sending you my numbers here so you have something to go with! 

received_360086024765292.jpeg

Disabling MCE seems to help it run at lower speeds, so the whirring isn't as frequent! However, as soon as it hits 75C it's up and at it again, only to quickly drop back down.

Just now, Westen said:

Disabling MCE seems to help it run at lower speeds, so the whirring isn't as frequent! However, as soon as it hits 75C it's up and at it again, only to quickly drop back down.

The fans is running at lower RPM because the CPU is cooler. 75c is too hot, fans should go at 100% in those temps so you don't start to thermal throttle. 

What kind of CPU cooler do you have? 

You should try to run prime95 with HWmonitor so we know how elaborate the issue is here. 

I've troubleshoot and built/repaired alot of PCs so we should be able to solve this! 

Just now, Zweepuh said:

The fans is running at lower RPM because the CPU is cooler. 75c is too hot, fans should go at 100% in those temps so you don't start to thermal throttle. 

What kind of CPU cooler do you have

You should try to run prime95 with HWmonitor so we know how elaborate the issue is here. 

I've troubleshoot and built/repaired alot of PCs so we should be able to solve this! 

I have an AIO pump I believe, I'm not sure how to find the specific fans other than looking at the invoice I have for my computer.

22 minutes ago, Westen said:

I have an AIO pump I believe, I'm not sure how to find the specific fans other than looking at the invoice I have for my computer.

Yup you are right. You got a mastliqlite aio. I don't know that much of that brand but it should keep your CPU way cooler than your is currently running.

Look at the pump which sits over the CPU and try to see if it's seated propely. You could gently try to wiggle it ever so slightly to determine if it's correctly in place.

If it's a prebuilt PC do not start to unscrew anything, that will prolly void your warranty.

Now is it hard to determine if there's actually a cooling/mounting issue or something else that makes it to temporarily spike. That's why it's good if you bench the CPU to see the stable temps at 100%

Edited by Zweepuh
34 minutes ago, Zweepuh said:

Yup you are right. You got a mastliqlite aio. I don't know that much of that brand but it should keep your CPU way cooler than your is currently running.

Look at the pump which sits over the CPU and try to see if it's seated propely. You could gently try to wiggle it ever so slightly to determine if it's correctly in place.

If it's a prebuilt PC do not start to unscrew anything, that will prolly void your warranty.

Now is it hard to determine if there's actually a cooling/mounting issue or something else that makes it to temporarily spike. That's why it's good if you bench the CPU to see the stable temps at 100%

I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know!

Now this makes more sense knowing you have an AIO. As Zweepuh and I stated earlier, my money is still on improper seating/poorly applied thermal paste.

If all else fails, the AIO itself could be faulty. Something to keep in mind as a last resort!

57 minutes ago, Gryffin said:

Now this makes more sense knowing you have an AIO. As Zweepuh and I stated earlier, my money is still on improper seating/poorly applied thermal paste.

If all else fails, the AIO itself could be faulty. Something to keep in mind as a last resort!

Or the company who built it didn't remove the plastic film prior to installing it.. seems to be an issue popping up from now and then! 

Edited by Zweepuh
  • Upvote 1
  • Gall locked this topic