Car/House Keys, Lockpicks, Locksmiths, etc.

Short description:

• Adding car and house keys
  • Modifying the metallurgist job when car and house keys are added
  • Making a locksmith license an in-game license (sorta like a taxi license)
  • Further clarification on lockpicks and how police can get involved with the selling and buying of them.

Detailed description: 

• Adding car and house keys: Simple enough. Whenever a building is purchased from the city, the owner is supplied with a key to the building. Renters will have to get a key made, but this will be further detailed moving into my point about the metallurgist job. Car keys work in a similar manner; when a car is bought, the owner is given two keys- the main key and a spare key. Of course, people can own multiple keys to multiple homes/cars and this will make players have to manage their keys and not own multiple vehicles/buildings that they do not use.

• Modifying the metallurgist job: With the addition of car and house keys added, these keys can be stolen and will allow for players to rob a player, take their keys, and then take their car without the owner having to get inside the car to /vdupe or having to have the owner of a door go to the door to unlock it (assuming that the player was robbed after leaving their home or the robbers know where the player lives)- That is steering off track. Point is, with the keys being able to be stolen, the metallurgist can have a point other than to make door locks, knuckle dusters, and lockpicks; they can make keys to cars and doors with the owner's permission through some command and the command only working if the owner is online.

• Locksmithing License/Lockpick distributor license: Much like the taxi license, add a locksmithing license. This will make becoming a locksmith a viable option for some players that may want to RP being a locksmith and will make their possession of tools that allow entry into vehicles and locked doors less suspicious. The requirements for this license being no felony crime or history of breaking and entering homes or attempting to do so and either something that can be obtained through the DMV (since you can get a taxi and other metal licenses through that same building) or through government forums much like how a PF license or CCW permit is obtained and having to follow a strict set of guidelines in order to keep said license. This will provide context for my next point. Another little detail being distributor licenses for lockpicks. Much like how you need an alcohol distribution license for booze, you will need to be a licensed distributor to publically sell lockpicks. Since lockpicks are easy to obtain through mining and metallurgy job, this could be something added as a license to buy.

• Clarification on lockpicks and police handling them: With locksmith licenses being added to the server and thus the occupation of being a locksmith being much more reasonable and believable OOCly (and ICly?), the ads for lockpicks will not be something that can be auto-punished by some admins and can be something for police to investigate. What I mean by this is to see if the person selling these lockpicks are a licensed locksmith breaking the guidelines or an unlicensed seller, providing an IC risk to unlicensed sellers and locksmiths breaking the guidelines rather than OOC punishment.

Commands to add: 

• /vkeys OR /keys
  • /pkeys OR /keys
  • /createpropertykey (property name)
  • /createcarkey (license plate) ((or some other command, open to suggestions))

Items to add: 

• Car keys
  • House keys
  • Locksmith license
  • Lockpick distributor license

How would your suggestion improve the server? 

I believe that this will be an improvement to the server as it will open up more pathways for players to take and RP as a real-world job, much like a gas station attendant or a trucker, and open more room for the use of lockpicks and other break-in tools that are not criminal. Not only that, but it will give more use to the job of metallurgy that isn't making door locks, lockpicks, dusters, and etc. Overall, I personally think that this is a good idea.

Additional information: This thread is open to suggestions! Just pop them in! ?

• Upvote 5

I like this. As I feel there is a lot of grey areas with lockpicks. 

I feel as a clarification to the whole lock picks could easily sort out the selling and buying of lock picks, Because under code 307 I believe, lock picks are only illegal with intent to break-in. 

After discussion through private DMs, I would also like to suggest some protective measures against subpar thieves and muggers by adding that house keys cannot be stolen unless a criteria is met. What should the criteria be?

I've thought if something like:

1) must know where the character lives

2) a time limit for every time you mug someone if you can take their keys 

3) cannot take keys just to take the keys (because what thief steals keys without having a use for them?)

4) when mugging and stealing the keys from then player, it is expected to fully RP every thing instead of doing a simple /me "runs pockets" and then asking for /showitems and then /me "takes their belongings."

What do you all think?

Edited by ArminHammer831
Removed emojis.
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, ArminHammer831 said:

After discussion through private DMs, I would also like to suggest some protective measures against subpar thieves and muggers by adding that house keys cannot be stolen unless a criteria is met. What should the criteria be?

I've thought if something like:

1) must know where the character lives

2) a time limit for every time you mug someone if you can take their keys

?? 3) cannot take keys just to take the keys (because what thief steals keys without having a use for them?)

4) when mugging and stealing the keys from then player, it is expected to fully RP every thing instead of doing a simple /me "runs pockets" and then asking for /showitems and then /me "takes their belongings."

What do you all think?

P.S sorry for the Emojis, mobile is a bitch and auto converted.

+1, And I think the same thing if they add keys as items for the vehicles, i'm having a dejavu of people assaulting others to steal their cars in hot without stopping.

If they add keys, at least, that the keys are not tangible or some way to avoid abuses.

• Upvote 1

I like the concept but needs even more limitations. Like, say, making the stolen keys disappear after five hours, or the ability to make new locks. If someone gets the keys to your house or your car with no limitations they could just get in any time they want, which seems like a massive nightmare. The whole system also needs to be made a lot more convenient the owners of the keys too. For instance, if you get your car chopped, it sucks, but you will have access to it again in five hours, so its not the worst thing in the world.

2 hours ago, Rensai said:

I like the concept but needs even more limitations. Like, say, making the stolen keys disappear after five hours, or the ability to make new locks. If someone gets the keys to your house or your car with no limitations they could just get in any time they want, which seems like a massive nightmare. The whole system also needs to be made a lot more convenient the owners of the keys too. For instance, if you get your car chopped, it sucks, but you will have access to it again in five hours, so its not the worst thing in the world.

Could always change the lock as you would with any other door, and making the stolen key unusable with the new lock. You can also get new keys made for your vehicle if they were stolen for example.

Edited by Serower
11 minutes ago, Serower said:

Could always change the lock as you would with any other door, and making the stolen key unusable with the new lock. You can also get new keys made for your vehicle if they were stolen for example.

Exactly, making the key disappear in X time will make this idea really unrealistic, but by being able to change a key to your house/vehicle you add a realistic effect to it and more roleplay. I support the concept, but I'm willing to look at other players opinions and see how the community reacts to it.