In-game lock pick advertisements

K.Dot

Los Santos is based on LA which is located in United States.. in that case..

It is not illegal to own lock picks unless you are using them for felonious intent? In that case.. proof of intent can be personal hobbyist reasons, so it is not immediately illegal to have lock picks on you or own them, unless you are caught committing crimes directly with them or indirectly with them on you..

2 minutes ago, 1357 said:

It is not illegal to own lock picks unless you are using them for felonious intent? In that case.. proof of intent can be personal hobbyist reasons, so it is not immediately illegal to have lock picks on you or own them, unless you are caught committing crimes directly with them or indirectly with them on you.

The issue that rises from this is that lockpicks currently have one use: break into cars, a criminal use for them; so the only reason that anyone would have lockpicks on their person is to break into vehicles.

I made a suggestion thread to try to help make these kicks and such make more sense or rather make it more of an IC issue for the police to investigate rather than have PD sit around and swarm a single driver with 5 cruisers over someone speeding.

4 minutes ago, ArminHammer831 said:

The issue that rises from this is that lockpicks currently have one use: break into cars, a criminal use for them; so the only reason that anyone would have lockpicks on their person is to break into vehicles.

I made a suggestion thread to try to help make these kicks and such make more sense or rather make it more of an IC issue for the police to investigate rather than have PD sit around and swarm a single driver with 5 cruisers over someone speeding.

That is not true.. as long as you are not picking locks that you do not own, then it is simply hobbyist reasons. Of course if someone is walking around carelessly with lock picks on them all the time.. especially in low income areas or neighborhoods where maybe crime is committed or break ins occur often, that may get them in hot water and will be tough one to talk out of.

I am just going by the LA CA state federal laws, of course it may not entirely apply if this server is stating you must possess a a valid license.. but truthfully and realistically speaking, you do not need to possess a license to legally own lock picks.. in this state at least. 

I will assume that we are going by the state and country laws that we are based in, and not mixing it up with third world or other countries/states.. that would not make much sense. Which leads me to wonder.. where is the server itself based? 

Edited by 1357

I was going by the server, not real life when I replied. I should've clarified, so apologies. But script wise, the only use for lockpicks is to illegally enter a vehicle. This means that whenever someone puts up an ad for lockpicks, admins already know what is up and just kicks the player for the ad rather than having PD handle what can be considered an IC issue.

I think this generally depends on the context. Without any, lockpicks are illegal under 307. of the Penal Code.

307. Possession of Burglary Tools

Any person(s) having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent to breach a lock without possession of proper licensing.

The key here is without possession of proper licensing.

Pawn Shops and locksmiths will have these licenses, which, meaning if these advertisements are given that context, then it would be legal.

Scratch what I say.. it is fine how it is now. As long as you have a reason to own them, they are not illegal. Again.. this can be for hobbyist reasons which is completely legal as long as you are not breaking into locks that you do not own so vehicles.. houses.. safes, whereas in that case it is illegal unless you possess a valid license.

For advertisements.. again, i would not really consider it illegal more than it is just unrealistic or over the top because of how often they get spammed on /ad. Just provide good reasoning with proper context and everything should be okay..

Edited by 1357

Code 307 needs to be re-written. No where does it state that manufacturing, buying or selling of Lockpicks is illegal. It only states that they are illegal with intent to break into a car or property. If it is illegal as Bjork stated, it needs to be stated in code 307. 

Based on my in-game experience I saw several lockpick ads both selling and buying and never saw one player kicked. Which lead me to believing that the selling and buying of lockpicks through ads were completely legal. Because I could not fine a law saying otherwise. 

Edited by K.Dot
2 minutes ago, K.Dot said:

Code 307 needs to be re-written. No where does it state that manufacturing, buying or selling of Lockpicks is illegal. It only states that they are illegal with intent to break into a car or property. If it is illegal as Bjork stated, it needs to be stated in code 307. 

Based on my in-game experience I saw several lockpick ads both selling and buying and never saw one player kicked. Which lead me to believing that the selling and buying of lockpicks through ads were completely legal. Because I could not fine a law saying otherwise. 

Much agreed.

This is doing nothing but causing confusion for players and can actually lead to some thinking that perhaps some of the admins are biased on who they punish.

The reason we do not allow lockpick ads is because they are 99% of the time going to be used for illicit purposes, In all honesty here, what would you actually use them for? Lockpicks literally serve no other purpose than for illicit activities. For this reason It falls under the same category as "Buying an eagle that lives in a desert." type adverts.

Secondly, if you feel any staff member is being bias (and you have proof) then you're encouraged to submit a staff report. There may be various reasons why some ads slip through the net, whether staff are occupied with reports or other duties or it simply wasn't noticed. In which case you're welcome to report it!

I hope this answers your question @K.Dot, locked on that note.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Applaud 1