Official Characters and Awards

Topics from Character Stories to be pinned if they have constant activity + decent roleplay + good character development.   Being pinned doesn't help, just shows the appreciation of the staff.

Creating awards that can be shown at our profile. As

"Glitch Finders" (tell us about 20 bugs)

"DeLorean" (play 1000 hours on the server) and so goes on. 

I don't know how I feel about this, because I feel like it takes away from smaller topics and gives staff something redundant to worry about. 

Staff shouldn't be the determining factor to their appreciation of your character story, the community is there for that. If your topic is truly unique, it'll be huge and will probably be on top of the section any way with the amount of comments you'd be getting. 

Creating awards is a good way of giving characters some sort of appreciation on their hard work and to show them that the server really cares about what they are doing, that will also "motivate" other players to achieve the same awards, and by doing that, I feel like that has more than just a show of appreciation, that will also make players stick with the server or, by your example, find bugs. This will help the server grow and will expand the number of hours that players are putting into the server. Although I don't think this should be connected to character stories, it will separate small topics as @Serower said and it will be unfair because after all, players put their own precious time into writing character stories and this will create some sort of selection that will disappoint some of the players. Therefore, the awards system that you are offering here should be connected to the number of hours the player put into the server or the number of bugs he found or any other thing he did to help the server. 

Edited by SupSupreme
  • 2 months later...
On 5/6/2019 at 1:13 AM, WirelessMind said:

Maybe instead just little achievement badges under your avatar or something.

I like this. We already have a badge system in place for the forums so a manually issued badge could be added.

Pinning the topics would be good but there's a major issue - too many pinned topics will make the other topics not so easy to view, since they're going to be at the bottom of the list or even on a secondary page, regardless of how active they are, so no one would see them unless they were to really look for them. The badge system sounds like a neat idea though!

I like the badge idea.

I dislike the pinning idea. It offers virtually no reward to the active players - if you're active your thread will automatically stay among the top positions within the first page.

It punishes everybody else though as their threads are unorganically positioned lower than they would be normally due to their activity.

Example: My character thread moved to third page while I was on vacation but that's okay because I obviously wasn't active and someone else got to take up my position in the meantime. 

Yesterday I added new screenshots and now my thread sits in the Top10 again as we speak (18.07.19; 10:49AM GMT+1). By today's evening I will propably fall down and if I don't post another update by tomorrow, I will propably move back to the second page. This is a natural way to reward activity in your character thread and I see no improvement with your suggestion in that regard. 

It's something I genuinely like about the factions sub-forum. Your official status has no impact whatsoever on your position there - thread activity does though. This allows small, unofficial factions to claim Top5 positions in that thread simply by being active. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

How about this: 

A monthly "Character of the Month" award. Each month, Staff chooses one character thread that they believe is both active that month and shows the quality of RP they expect from the players. The Character of the month will receives a Permanent forum badge, And a shout out in the monthly Announcements by Nervous. Accordingly their thread will by sticky'd for the next month and if for some reason the Characters story comes to a close at anytime after they have won at least once, the thread will be moved to a sub forum with other defunct character pages that have won the award.

5 hours ago, Henning said:

How about this: 

A monthly "Character of the Month" award. Each month, Staff chooses one character thread that they believe is both active that month and shows the quality of RP they expect from the players. The Character of the month will receives a Permanent forum badge, And a shout out in the monthly Announcements by Nervous. Accordingly their thread will by sticky'd for the next month and if for some reason the Characters story comes to a close at anytime after they have won at least once, the thread will be moved to a sub forum with other defunct character pages that have won the award.

As mentioned above, this creates another weekly task for the admin team to worry about, having to read through every character story topic to determine which one they like the best, most don’t even want to read one to begin with.

I think a statistics page based on players and characters on the UCP would be quite cool, stuff that can be tracked in-game.

I also like the idea of forum badges or visible achievements worth displaying. 

6 hours ago, Law said:

As mentioned above, this creates another weekly task for the admin team to worry about, having to read through every character story topic to determine which one they like the best, most don’t even want to read one to begin with.

I think a statistics page based on players and characters on the UCP would be quite cool, stuff that can be tracked in-game.

I also like the idea of forum badges or visible achievements worth displaying. 

I don’t understand how it’s a weekly task if it’s a monthly award ?, also staff already looks through character pages quite frequently so it’s not some massive undertaking. 

What statistics do you think should be tracked?  Hours played? I could name drop half a dozen character names that would be at the top of that list who have absolute shit Tier RP and shouldn’t be championed as the type we wanna see on this server.

• mj2002 locked this topic