Why do I/You keep donating?

iAMTemple

Well, got invited here by a friend and it took me a week to make my first donation, within a week or so I donated 80 euros and it just kept on going after that. 700 hours in roughly 2 months, enough said. I'm addicted, thanks Nervous.

4 hours ago, Nervous said:

Just want to clarify this - because it cost me an arm every month to pay the server taxes in France so I have a right to at least not get told I avoid taxes - It was initially called donations because that's what everyone call them, and I see it more as a way to thank us than selling something.

There is no legal term as "donation" to avoid taxes in France, I can't speak for other countries. You must be a registered volunteer association in France to have the ability to not be considered as a company and to accept donations the legal way you mean it - aka no taxes and people donating to you even get 50% of their donation removed from their yearly taxes.

I later changed the name to World point shop everywhere because Skrill requested it to be our payment provider, which I had no issue with, I honestly don't care much what it's called, even If shop and buying seems less community friendly than donation.

Don't try to see the evil everywhere because you got used to it. In France you're paying to get an e-product, a "virtual item" called World Point (which is shown on your bill and on your bank account), not a service nor a tax avoiding donation.

Oh no, you took me wrong from the beginning. I was just stating it's not donating. Everyone who plays on the server for an extended amount of time (2-3) hours per day should be donating to the server. They have to be maintained and kept up or you'll lose players. As you even said the server costs an arm and a leg to pay for every month and this way of getting people to pour money into the server helps you. As you see I'm a donator myself, I never paid for any of the services in particular because I don't need them. But yet again, the time has come for my character to use some of them IG so it's a win-win for the server and myself. You won't get "donator"s if they don't receive any bonus in return. You might have a few here and there, but this is a great way to pull people in and get them to help pay for the server they love.

9 hours ago, iAMTemple said:

You're not FORCED to pay, therefore, you're not paying for a service.

You get "extras" based on donations, but you're not forced to pay anything.

Might want to brush up on your economics there. xD

I never said I was forced to pay anything. You are paying for the services of the name change and the number changes, using the /bad command, etc. I'm not here to throw sneak disses, but maybe you should brush up on your reading skills xD. You literally just explained the entirety of the plot of this type of donation scheme or whatever you want to call it. I donate because I personally want to support the server and the perks are an additive that not only pulls others into a donate, but it benefits the server at the same time. Don't put words in my mouth.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:26 PM, Lance said:

Tbh some of those features are very very useful for RP and overall quality of your gameplay so it's pretty much pay to be better than the poor ppl

Not true, actually. I'm very poor actually and was only about to donate once when I scraped in birthday money. The stuff given to you by the donations is nice, yes. But if that's improving your overall RP quality, you may want to review yourself. RP quality comes fromy your own imagination, and if you absolutely need a dog or cat for that. Sure that helps, but personally I believe one self should focus on the character detail and development first. 

I donated because I wanted to contribute to the server, and get a juicy name change for a later date. 

1 hour ago, Björk said:

Not true, actually. I'm very poor actually and was only about to donate once when I scraped in birthday money. The stuff given to you by the donations is nice, yes. But if that's improving your overall RP quality, you may want to review yourself. RP quality comes fromy your own imagination, and if you absolutely need a dog or cat for that. Sure that helps, but personally I believe one self should focus on the character detail and development first. 

I donated because I wanted to contribute to the server, and get a juicy name change for a later date. 

Walking style is a character detail.

11 hours ago, Björk said:

I meant stuff like walk styles and moods(which are bugged I'm not sure), this is a massive upgrade on generic stuff non donators get. /bad is a massive help to open a business cause even damn taxi drivers don't know the map. 

I personally donated for /bad and furniture amount, walk style is a great little bonus. 

But from now on I'll stop donating. 

Edited by Lance

A namechange is easy to redo tattoos for example. But that is why I pay sometimes. I feel like every work deserves recognition no matter what it is. Sure things like private servers are mostly done by enthusiasts, who usually don't even consider such thing as funding at first. However no activity comes for free. And donation or call it whatever you will is just another form of showing appreciation for their work.