Reworking how the faction system works

WirelessMind

Short description: Just a simple re-work, removing certain things and updating the different threads for factions information.

Detailed description: First off remove the faction application system, the map has plenty of space to let people roam free with it. I get it's to keep up standards but that won't change anything in-game it'll only stop people from showing off the RP on forums. But the thing is it won't only stop the low RP groups from showcasing there RP it stops the people that actually put effort into RPing and it stops the people who know how to edit and posts SS's of quality RP. I mean the faction thread applications could work but the way  it's currently being handled is way off, it takes way to long for your faction to get accepted. Talking from experience it took me a week to get a answer for my own faction, for a friend it's almost taking a month same with another. Even if certain factions are the same idea based faction applying they shouldn't be pushed away or denied, say there's a crip faction already open then another crip faction applies? Crips in 2019 beef each-other and don't all act the same, not to mention the people looking to open a new faction could decide to proceed with the idea completely different. 

If applications were removed I believe we could have a lot more factions on the server that are active IG and on forums, bringing out different types of creativity, no this doesn't mean allow everyone and anyone to keep a thread open it'd still have to be maintained and watched over. But don't just judge a faction over the main thread unless there is a clear show of lack of effort. After someone posts a thread if it doesn't meet the servers standards you can close them if it's truly needed. 

Everything and anything when it comes to FMT takes way to long and topics are outdated. Everything takes a week+ even if it's a simple question. Topics regarding faction handlers and all are outdated, faction handlers are no longer a thing but when you don't know that and decide message the specified staff member in the thread you don't even get a answer letting you know. It's all honestly unprofessional and unorganized. 

Give faction recognition for the work they put in on there thread. This can mean simply keeping up with them and making sure they're truly enjoying there time on the server to even giving them shipments so they can possibly play the supplier role and sell to people for reasonable prices not just buy it for a taxed price then sell it for a even more taxed price.

Faction Application- Week+

Faction Complaints- 5 weeks+ no conclusion ever received 

Official Application- 2 weeks+ no reply ever received

^ This should not be a thing on any server, it ruins players perspective. I've spoken with plenty of people who have also had these issues, come on guys this needs to be fixed. If systems can't be kept up with, don't have them at all.

How would your suggestion improve the server? It could possibly make the faction side of the server a lot more active and bring in more faction interactions. 

Additional information: There are no intentions in this thread to attack the server or FMT, I'm simply trying to bring up a topic that could help the server and make the faction interactions in-game and faction section on the forums more lively.

Edited by WirelessMind
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2

I will go down on my knees if required to set this in motion. This gives people more chances to actually create RP without having it approved and monitored 24/7. People who can't RP, aren't up to server standards or rulebreak will be dealt with the same as everyone else. Making a faction shouldn't be such a "special" thing to do. Survival of the fittest, the most active, interesting and best factions will obviously get the most people, and/or the most quality RP the way it is. This is just currently overloading admins, and I understand that we want to keep standards, but I don't see why a faction leader of an unofficial faction should be treated differently than a normal player. Breaking rules should be dealt with the same as for every other player, and the RP itself will be seen. I mean, I'd probably get denied if I requested some turf in eastern LS, as a group of friends. Why? We aren't a faction/gang/organization. It gives people more chance to develop into an actual thing, without making an OOC commitment to what they portray ICly. I could request a blood gang for example, yet if the character development turns out that crips, GDs or any other gang had a major influence on my character, it'd be a bit dumb to have to follow an OOCly set out plan. That's the whole point of RP, isn't it? To not be scripted RP, to let RP be RP. Here you're basically asking OOC permission for IC things, which shouldn't need admin permission.

As someone who has a high standard and only a few types of illegal RP im interested in, I struggle to stay motivated from time to time because of this. There's no factions that either appeal to me, or they don't meet my personal RP standards. This would give everyone a much wider variety in what to RP, where to RP and such.

I seriously don't understand why there's faction applications, if there's something wrong with the faction, there's no struggle in simply getting in contact with the thread owner and asking them to either fix it up, or it'll be locked by one of the FM members. People who have posted applications, and have yet to recieve an answer to if it's able to post or not, might be demotivated to continue what they want to do, due to the application system that's put into the server being so time consuming, or so it seems.

If a faction doesn't stand ground with the standards the FM and the staff team want, I don't see the problem in simply closing them, and allowing the leaders to appeal their close. I don't really see much realism in roleplay due to some people being quite unexperienced in the things they do, and usually stereotype their characters and their factions. Why don't FM assist them? There's no pain in doing that, it might help some factions out a lot. 

I strongly agree with what the topic's about, and the message that should be taken into mind by FM. 

I'll start off by saying this - I did not spend my time PM'ing every single faction leader (yourself included) on the server to gather their suggestions/concerns/updates for no reason. This thread was and is completely unnecessary as you already included this in our one to one discussion which is being used to collate information and be used appropriately. Now unfortunately for ME, my head of illegal factions is on absence, my head of legal has only just returned and I've been working 12 hour shifts. We all do this voluntarily and we aren't here for attitude or ungrateful ideals.

I'll address faction applications first of all.

Faction applications were brought in for many reasons as the server was slipping in standard diabolically. We had female Russian assassins in a faction running around with AK47's in the streets. shooting up mobs and gangs. We had all purple everything GTA5 lore factions turning up in gang territory, referring to single player things. We had cartels speaking fluent Spanish in the middle of Los Santos trying to force upon others they were the be all and end all of Colombian cocaine without so much as a supplier application. And even to this day, we have ridiculous concepts and down right stupidity filtering through. We had people coming to us "why's this faction been allowed to set up?" or "why are you shutting us down/coming to us when we've been up for weeks!!!". The application process takes a long time, granted and is nothing I've never NOT admitted to. We do our research, we have back & forths and we also have lives. We do not have applications to prevent duplication of concepts. 

14 hours ago, WirelessMind said:

Even if certain factions are the same idea based faction applying they shouldn't be pushed away or denied, say there's a crip faction already open then another crip faction applies? Crips in 2019 beef each-other and don't all act the same, not to mention the people looking to open a new faction could decide to proceed with the idea completely different. 

This is beyond irrelevant and holds no play in how we deal with a faction application. You've clearly been misinformed or misjudged.

If applications were removed I believe we could have a lot more factions on the server that are active IG and on forums, bringing out different types of creativity, no this doesn't mean allow everyone and anyone to keep a thread open it'd still have to be maintained and watched over. But don't just judge a faction over the main thread unless there is a clear show of lack of effort. After someone posts a thread if it doesn't meet the servers standards you can close them if it's truly needed. 

This opens up the flood gates, and believe me you do not see some of the things we do. As for faction activity? We do not need a tonne of factions, many of the ones we have are sparse as it is. The server isn't at 500 players don't forget, and the majority of our players reside in LEO roles still. I would rather have a medium sized portion of illegal/citizen factions with fruitful numbers than 30+ with 2-5 members. It's nothing to do with creativity. As I said to someone a few nights ago, interesting doesn't always mean good. I would rather nip something in the bud, advise someone to develop their skills and concept a bit more than have them post a thread only to get closed and go through that demoralizing conversation of "why have you let me be open for 3 weeks then." which is conversations we've had before. It's unfair on either side.

Everything and anything when it comes to FMT takes way to long and topics are outdated. Everything takes a week+ even if it's a simple question. Topics regarding faction handlers and all are outdated, faction handlers are no longer a thing but when you don't know that and decide message the specified staff member in the thread you don't even get a answer letting you know. It's all honestly unprofessional and unorganized. 

Some things are outdated, yes. When I took over FM I went through to update as much as possible, but unfortunately we get swamped with a lot and these things aren't always updated. As for the faction handlers - they're a thing for problem factions. You asked for one from Ethanol, got no reply because he was on other duties, you came to me and I replied within a DAY and informed you that you wouldn't receive and apologized for the inconvenience - shame you missed that out. 

Give faction recognition for the work they put in on there thread. This can mean simply keeping up with them and making sure they're truly enjoying there time on the server to even giving them shipments so they can possibly play the supplier role and sell to people for reasonable prices not just buy it for a taxed price then sell it for a even more taxed price.

I contact every single faction leader personally every few weeks to see how the faction is getting on.

You are not getting shipments so that's getting shut down straight away.

Faction Complaints- 5 weeks+ no conclusion ever received 

We don't tell you what the outcome is, but we let you know it's being handled. When you in particular have more than one person PMin'g me to add information sporadically, it gets cluttered.

3 hours ago, nwhatifyourhomiedead? said:

I seriously don't understand why there's faction applications, if there's something wrong with the faction, there's no struggle in simply getting in contact with the thread owner and asking them to either fix it up, or it'll be locked by one of the FM members.

Please see the above reasons. I'm unsure as to when you joined, but the server was in an abysmal state with the standard of both roleplayers and factions (hence why we created Player Quality Management, and faction applications). I would rather be able to speak to people beforehand than shut down down 3-4 weeks in, wasting their time and my time as I'd then have to spend my free time spectating instead of roleplaying/doing reports - and who wants to be spectated?

People who have posted applications, and have yet to recieve an answer to if it's able to post or not, might be demotivated to continue what they want to do, due to the application system that's put into the server being so time consuming, or so it seems.

This is personal because of your faction app, and I'll respond to you in private if you have an issue. Feel free to PM me or Discord message me,

Why don't FM assist them? There's no pain in doing that, it might help some factions out a lot. 

We assist many factions that are open already. Blindly throwing things like this out only makes it look as though that doesn't happen under false pretenses, so try and avoid that in future.

14 minutes ago, hectic said:

The system needs reworking, the fact we haven't got one faction able to represent the server as Official means something is going wrong.

It's getting revamped, we've had 2-3 topics about this over the last few months to get a general idea of what the community wants. Not sure if you didn't know that or left this out? Add that to nobody suitable as of yet and you have your answer.

It's Easter weekend and I'll get around to doing what I can, nothing's getting removed/changed.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 3