Advertisement Queue system.

Velora

I think anyone here who runs a business can agree that the AD system is very flawed at this time.  There's a cool down between ads being posted, which leads to legit businesses having trouble getting there ads in when you have people spamming ads for cars and stuff.  See the attached screenshot to see what my event openings end up looking like. Its hard to RP when you have to spam /bad every few seconds to try and sneak  your add in against all the other people doing the same.

And if I don't do that.. I'll never get my advertisement posted.

So as a suggestion, I would suggest that a queue system be added. So you can put in your AD it and it puts you in a queue. Of course there would need to be some sort of restriction. Like perhaps regular ADs can only be put in queue once per hour, CADs 4 times an hour and BADs 6? (I'm not sure bout this one, maybe someone has a better idea to control this?) I would even go as far as to suggest banning car/house ads, and make people use FB or the forums to sell their stuff.

Either way, we need to do something about the advertisement system. Its just terrible right now and is a huge distraction from RP and it will only get worst as the server population grows.

20190414160322_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think it's important to not disable people that can't afford to donate silver or gold packages, or at all (like myself), a working advertisement system to run their club. The current and suggested system put people at a disadvantage if they don't and cannot donate. It makes and would make them even more, dependent on their staff who do have this opportunity and with that the command available to them.

Edited by Triple Seven

I like this suggestion as the chat becomes quite crowded with ads anyway during peak times.

I don't think a queue is the right way to go about it though, because with the amount of ads that get posted, you'll end up with a massive backlog. And most of the times ads are about current events, and you don't want your ad that's in the queue being posted hour(s) later as it may be redundant at that time.

A new ad system could be developed however. Maybe the notification system just above the mini-map could be used to do this.

image.png.1b4a0c60048487c0a6fa2e7417fc4a24.png     image.png.c0a70b874be5f3332970e061d02e4b5a.png 

These could show the 150 characters at the smaller font size causing minimal HUD disruption and fade away after a number of seconds. Different colours and icons could be used to differentiate between ADs, BADs and CADs. It would also be neat if companies & businesses could set an icon with their logo via forum submission. An 'Advertisements' section in the inventory UI could allow you to see past ads if you missed them.

As well as making the chat sizeable, this would reduce ad congestion in the chat and clean up the HUD a bit more.

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1

The idea that you have offered may put people in disadvantage just like @Triple Seven said. I really support @Spartan's idea, looks really cool, would not affect the players that didn't donate and would also make business and company ads more noticeable. That would also add another feature to the donators, which may lead to more people donating.

Edited by SupSupreme
  • Applaud 1

A system that @Spartan suggested would be very nice. I'm pretty much on the same page here.

*/ad, /cad, /bad should all be available for a non-donator. The difference, donator /bad would have an icon for longer, normal one would be there for 10 minutes.

*Notification system would be perfect. Pop up should be there for around 10 seconds perhaps.

*An ability to disable ads. (In case you're not interested and don't want to get notifications)

*Option to check all the latest ads(they should stay there for 1-2 hours, an ad per player, should display their latest ad)

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

A new ad system is definitely needed, I will say that much...

rwPMDys.png

Two people or more spamming ads for the same business, just filling the chat log. It becomes very annoying during RP and extremely annoying for others trying to run a business that A) don't or cannot donate to the server /OR/ B) do not have the staff to pump out ads at the speed of these other clubs. While one can argue that it can be an IC thing because smaller business is getting overlooked by a bigger club/business, it becomes annoying AF to see the same ads over and over again when you're trying to put out an ad for a business or something else. "We get it... The club is open. We don't need five ads in a row to tell us that."

I really like @Spartan's idea of having company ads and such appear above the mini-map as little 'text' messages as it will get it out of the way of the chat box and it doesn't put people who donate at a specific advantage over those that do not donate.

I think a queue is the only solution. But the queue can be implemented in different ways.

The traditional "first come, first served" queue works but has a big flaw, as pointed out by @Spartan.

I don't think a queue is the right way to go about it though, because with the amount of ads that get posted, you'll end up with a massive backlog. And most of the times ads are about current events, and you don't want your ad that's in the queue being posted hour(s) later as it may be redundant at that time.

But what if we made a queue that accounts for priority? One that doesn't let people spam and one that gives a fair chance to everybody.

Says there's currently 7 ads in the queue, but all of those 7 are from people who already placed ads recently. If player X, who hasn't placed any ads recently wants to do so now, his ad would be 1st in the queue and would be displayed almost immediately, and the other 7 will continue waiting in queue. After that, if player X wants to place another ad, it now goes 8th in the queue - the player who had an ad displayed most recently has the lowest priority.

This gets rid of spam and gives everyone a fair chance.

Of course, the queue is just about how the ads are placed. The way the ads are displayed can also be improved as @Spartan mentioned.

On top of that, I strongly agree with @Lance regarding:

*Option to check all the latest ads(they should stay there for 1-2 hours, an ad per player, should display their latest ad)

Edited by Mindful
  • 2 weeks later...

This is becoming a rather serious issue, shame how its gone down the drain here and glad the problems already addressed. In and around the peak hours, you'll literally have to spam the ad looking at the timestamp as the minute mark approaches. Just gets worse if there's no donator level. I'm sure it can be handled a lot better with some minor script changes, like a queue or the bottom left text box as others have suggested

ill bump this

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 1