Forbid Voice Chat for the LSPD

Smilesville

I just make this as a suggestion because people want realism and this server seem like it strives for realism and is strict but I don't think every poor character should be left up for player quality management team because being honest, there are a lot of players like this and while one may be caught there are many others that always slip through.

I think the issue with role play servers like this is players role play things they aren't in real life which is fine and to be expected.. but they also make decisions they know they wouldn't make in real life.. which is also fine but I think only to a certain degree. Some players may shoot a player over anothers choice of words or because of a small dispute, and it should all have a risk that comes with it other than spending a long time in jail or prison.. which is only if they're caught and don't decide to get in to a shoot out and only lose their gun.. that seems to be the only risk with criminals anyway. 

Hospital bills should also be a thing for players who get injured whether from illegal actions or other mean, another way to detract players from committing crimes and rethinking actions or better ways to solve and only use it as last resort.

Jail or prison are great punishments and longer times without it going down while offline is a good suggestion, but players should fear death and it should not only be left up for a person to role play it. I just think a system I mention, people could touch base on and farther improve so that "PK" is completely removed and "CK" is what every player will face if they want to commit crimes. But it doesn't just apply to criminals.. death is something mostly everybody would prefer to avoid, that includes regular hard working people.

Player Kill are unrealistic. You suddenly "forget" everything that happen? Sure.. maybe if you're in severe coma, otherwise no. It seem like a bad server mechanic.

Edited by 1357

Teamspeak is only used in an IC manner during situations that require coordination that are too fast based for text to be possible. TS is highly monitored by both LSPD Command, and Faction Management to assure it is not over used, or not used accordingly. As soon as situations are stable enough to return to text, TS is no longer used. It's used for very niche situations, and for very limited times, and the reason for it is due to it being completely non-plausible to be done any other way. 

I understand the want for criminals, or other players to want to have the same coordination ability, however these are under different circumstances. For criminals, they have all the time in the world to pre-plan their criminal activities, and coordinate plans, any time PD gets in a fast pace situation, it's with no warning, and no preparation time. So not only would Pursuits require text updates, which is impossible, but also text de-briefing on what is going on, and supervisors would have to make orders on a text bases on the fly. 

It's easy to never be a part of a faction requiring its use and say you want it removed, I mean sure it makes life so much easier to get away with being a criminal, why not support it, and call PD the play to win people. 

Fact of the matter is, it's not plausible, and if it is removed, it will be impossible to operate as an officer when it comes to pursuits, and police will stop chasing people.  There may be other options, and i'm open ears to them, but the suggested actions so far, aren't good enough. 

42 minutes ago, 1357 said:

I don't mean that at all. I mean if there are damage system like he says, then we should be going by that and not what someone claims. If one is shot in the head among other areas as well, that's what should be role played and nothing else. This would be a way to determine whether someone would die or survive. Someone said that people role play being shot in the head when they were only shot in the arm, and this is done so they can die and not face future repercussions.

I think we cannot just say "This person shot at us to get out of jail" and report any person that does this, because this does not apply for every one and you cannot be 100% sure that is a persons intentions. Instead of rules and more rules, people should genuinely fear death and not fear an out of character jail if otherwise. That is what I mean to say. 

Maybe it doesn't have to be severe and a player loses all their assets, but a name change at the most and any vehicles/items, but money can be kept with a new name..

I am sure a better system can be thought of that poses a risk for character death and promotes fear and adds value to individual characters. Obviously if a player dies from a death matcher or a scene that is voided, it would not apply to them..

agreed, pking feels useless

2 hours ago, Keane said:

The sooner you see everyone as another player no matter what type of character they have, the sooner we'll see better interactions between everyone. You need to see another player as someone to potentially have enjoyable roleplay with. Just because you have had some bad experiences with someone from a particular faction, doesn't mean that every single faction member is terrible.

This is an important presupposition to keep in mind when detailing an argument, for those who missed it.

Even so, I have a number of issues with the arguments made in favor of the LSPD keeping their Teamspeak without considering the fact that other players with equivalent levels of organization often get into the same sorts of situations. If we want to build up rules regarding exactly what can be communicated on these channels, that's fine - it would not be any more difficult to uncover improper VOIP usage than it would be to uncover metagaming, so the risk involved isn't terribly high to begin with.

2 hours ago, Keane said:

If you can find me a group of players that will actually use the in-game radio correctly and not as a chatroom or a way to turn this into a cops and robbers server, I might consider pushing for VOIP usage for those outside of police factions. My own experience of seeing players use a radio tells me there is a long, long way to go before that happens though.

My contention is that there are enough instances of the LSPD using the chat incorrectly to warrant asking the question as to whether we can't expand the use of VOIP to other groups. I'm of the mind that the cases in which it was misused were ferreted out rather quickly because of the effect in-game, not the oversight from LSPD supervisors or staff members.

I fail to see a plausible scenario in which a group would get away with using VOIP improperly without leaving many indicators (or a notable lack thereof) in-game and in the server logs if use of VOIP is extended to other players and organizations.

I've been meaning to address the radio issue anyways, and this might be a good time and place to do it. Restrict VOIP and the /r command to individuals with a physical radio item and have those radios sold at the phone store or a 24/7.

Edited by Smilesville
16 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

This is an important presupposition to keep in mind when detailing an argument, for those who missed it.

Even so, I have a number of issues with the arguments made in favor of the LSPD keeping their Teamspeak without considering the fact that other players with equivalent levels of organization often get into the same sorts of situations. If we want to build up rules regarding exactly what can be communicated on these channels, that's fine - it would not be any more difficult to uncover improper VOIP usage than it would be to uncover metagaming, so the risk involved isn't terribly high to begin with.

The LSPD already has rules on what can be said in those IC channels like you propose. That's already a thing.

2 hours ago, aldo said:

What he means is like a temporary like debuff or something. 

For example if you were shot badly in the leg then transported to jail, you should come out having to roleplay your injury still instead of being 100% healed up.

Not a bad point actually. On GTA:W have the drug addiction system where if you're over 20 points, you spawn in with less health and decreases even more when you go up in points. Throwback to LSRP (sorry) where you'd limp after being shot in the leg for example. I think that'd be a welcome addition to this server as well since it's easy to forget checking your own damages after being shot in the heat of the moment. This'd be a good feature to remind people to RP their injuries properly at all times.

(completely different suggestion but still felt the need to touch on it)

Mixed feelings on this. PD is something I would love to try, but my disinterest in voice chat means i can never join. 

I think though, this is hard to really police. I'm sure most factions, illegal or otherwise prolly use voice chat anyhow.

2 hours ago, Rukka said:

This seems be to straying away from the original post. This is a discussion regarding the usage of TeamSpeak, if you wish to discuss a rule change in regards to PKs or otherwise, please create another thread.

This. We're here to talk about voice, not anything but voice, please don't use something else other than the topic to voice your opinions.

20 hours ago, Syrike said:

I cant say I agree with this at all, the amount of typing that would need to be done to update a live pursuit inside city limits would be absurd, no LSPD member is being paid for this and the effort required to type like that would be absurd. As for the tracking beacon idea, I don't agree, it feels like powergaming, as it stands the LSPD needs to see you to be able to follow you, there should be no blinking light on the map that tells them where you are, this takes any element of actual brain work out of pursuits as it becomes a simple follow the blinking light, on top of that how is this vehicle flagged as suspect? The license plate? The officer would need to be able to see it, as for the officers vehicle being set as a beacon, by the time the officer had activated the command the vehicle being chased would be gone.

Now onto that helicopter, which is nearly always out and about doing just this, if the copilot was to type all of this out and no sane person should be expected to do this the suspect vehicles course would have changed by the time the first direction had been given, after three streets instructions would be muddled and entirely wrong, I don't understand why you expect LSPD members to throw away any element of fun they have in their roleplay as an LSPD member, the very IC teamspeak is used only in the pursuit part, once that has ended everything is back to in game. I welcome you to chase a friend around the city and attempt to type out the names of the street they are on and the direction of travel they are taking along with many other elements.

Point in case, allow EVERYONE to use voice communication then.

This whole "rule for one, rule for another" is absolutely absurd. Can't say I know too much about criminals in pursuits but I'm pretty sure they'll be snapchatting or facetiming their mates telling them what's happening.

Edited by Nathan
  • Rukka locked this topic