Forbid Voice Chat for the LSPD

Smilesville

Now, you're looking at the thread title and already considering typing out an explanation of how the police cannot coordinate a pursuit effectively without using voice chat - or perhaps you're going to remind us that the channel is "heavily moderated" by the presence of server staff to ensure the channel is only used for its intended purpose.

I would posit, however, that these arguments can also be made in favor of any other faction or organization of individuals. The idea of a group phone call is not so advanced that a group of criminals could not all join one with the objective of chasing down a particular individual, or coordinating a heist of some sort. Some realistic group actions require timing that cannot be achieved with the text-based framework provided within the game - this is the tacit acknowledgement of the permissions LSPD received to use voice chat during vehicle pursuits. One cannot type (to speak) and drive at the same time - an argument I am only sympathetic to insofar that the same is true for everyone, not just the department.

The LSPD already has rules for how individuals without microphones should conduct their duties - my suggestion is to bring the faction in line with the rest of the server and establish a rule that fits all players, regardless of your faction. If you find yourself involved in a pursuit? Type out your pursuit message yourself, or have a partner in the passenger seat do it for you. There is absolutely no need for one faction to receive a privileged status with regards to the OOC server rules in order to help them "win," and we'd be doing a wonderful service to player parity by returning everyone to the same playing field.

I suggest removing voice chat for the LSPD, of course, because I find it highly unlikely that the server would permit IC information to be transferred across voice channels it cannot monitor. If the server allows voice chat for pursuits regardless of the faction in question - knowing well that not every group can be monitored by administrators - then this is a tenable (though not preferable, in my opinion) solution as well.

• Upvote 7

I strongly disagree. I already think the pd is at a disadvantage on this server. As a former cop on other communities, voice communication in intense situations (chases etc) is neccessary. Driving and typing is impossible during a chase or shooting.

Cops should only use voice chat when typing is next to impossible depending on the situation they're currently in. 

Edited by dionkoffie
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Smilesville said:

One cannot type (to speak) and drive at the same time - an argument I am only sympathetic to insofar that the same is true for everyone, not just the department.

The LSPD already has rules for how individuals without microphones should conduct their duties - my suggestion is to bring the faction in line with the rest of the server and establish a rule that fits all players, regardless of your faction. If you find yourself involved in a pursuit? Type out your pursuit message yourself, or have a partner in the passenger seat do it for you. There is absolutely no need for one faction to receive a privileged status with regards to the OOC server rules in order to help them "win," and we'd be doing a wonderful service to player parity by returning everyone to the same playing field.

Except not every other faction is granted the authority to enforce the law.

I strongly disagree with this suggestion simply because it would be impossible for them to operate. You say this is how everyone should be able to talk to other people while typing - not everyone is trained to give pursuit commentary at high speeds, not everyone wears a radio that they can speak into by reaching to their chest/shoulder and pressing a button, and most importantly, not everyone can be moderated to prevent metagaming.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Westen said:

Except not every other faction is granted the authority to enforce the law.

I strongly disagree with this suggestion simply because it would be impossible for them to operate. You say this is how everyone should be able to talk to other people while typing - not everyone is trained to give pursuit commentary at high speeds, not everyone wears a radio that they can speak into by reaching to their chest/shoulder and pressing a button, and most importantly, not everyone can be moderated to prevent metagaming.

But it’s also impossible for criminals to type during chases, so how is it fair?

I think it's okay for them to use voice chat during the pursuit. What isn't okay is something that has even been mentioned by a PD officer himself in a ongoing report against himself. In group of several people he wanted to call backup using teamspeak, so, how is it fair that they can use VOIP to communicate in crowded areas around other people, even tho those people would hear them speaking? That seems like a main issue to me. You surround officer, he hasn't RP shit and suddenly entire PD comes down on your ass because he called them using discord/teamspeak.

• Upvote 7

I can't even imagine on how it is possible to feel any kind of immersion when some kids talking on voice channel as par of a RP. If there would be a lot of script, law and rule support for SMART criminal RP then the cops don't even need the voice channel as there won't be billion pursuits, assaults and murder cases per day to deal with.

I think it's pretty clear that at this point that people just generally enjoy getting into pursuits with the PD. It's fun, and enjoyable for both sides when it stays realistic. But honestly as someone who's roleplayed a cop for eight years now, you are never going to have the PD be able to actually take part in a pursuit without the use of voice communication for it. But that's the only real reason it's needed. Otherwise it's impossible to organize and direct 5+ people to chase after a vehicle going at *as fast as holding down W can get them*. Something that criminal RP will very seldom see the need for.

If an officer is using TS to call for backup with 0 RP while surrounded by other people or just generally not emoting they're using their radio when other people would be able to notice it should be metagaming/powergaming like anyone else would. It is enforced within the faction though, and when people abuse it they aren't just ignored. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

Not supporting.

Teamspeak is only ever used when ICly the officer would be able to and it’s necessary. If you see someone who has possibly metagamed / powergamed then you either call an admin or post up a report just like you would for anyone else.

Teamspeak is heavily moderated by Supervisors+ within the department, on scenes where there is no justification for using Teamspeak, it is not used for IC communications.

• Rukka locked this topic