Quality and Quantity (of words)

Gambler

The bar exam to become a lawyer is extensive for a video game. Though many answers are self-evident, there are difficult sections and overall the exam could take more than an hour to complete. I don't know what applications for the LSPD are like, so I can only address this one. As regards the bar exam, not discounting the fact that it is an exam for a certification, I do believe the same purpose could be fulfilled by removing a good portion to focus on straightforward, to-the-point open-ended scenario questions. Laws are an accessible resource for anyone at any time; it would be nice to trim the fat on specific statute-based questions in favor of ones that give the respondent an opportunity to showcase their skill for argumentation or fluency in English. Regardless, it is clearly no comparison to the real thing and I believe it is perfectly manageable given its purpose: if somebody wants a lawyer, they should trust that their lawyer is sufficiently competent in court, proven by the difficulty of the exam.

As regards the government, I don't even believe there is an application process. As far as I understand, you can just contact the relevant guys when they have an opening if you prove yourself useful.

Edited by Spenser
8 hours ago, Momo's Revenge said:

Wordy applications aren't a measure of quality. When there is a minimum word requirement what that does is motivate someone to create filler material to meet it. They should stop getting used for most applications(Except server* entry) when it comes to word counts. What matters in applications and writing in general is substance. Being able to write concisely and still make a good point is a skill. Unless it's a diary you're writing for an audience and you want to keep your audience's attention. You don't want to lose it in a wall of text.

The effort put into IRL applications is easily less than what I've seen on RP servers. They also don't have you having to edit codes to fill them in or people nitpicking if you had a double space or not... For the IC stuff it can easily be said that this is just being done to make busy work for the sake of it.  

The IC applications and forms is what I really dislike.  There are just better ways to handle those. 

Thank you. I had a subject just for pitching in university, and what you said about writing concisely and make a good point, is what made a good pitch/presentation/interview. You're totally right, that is a skill. The IC applications are just bureaucracy. And if the application is not enough, I gotta time my day with the person who will interview me, wich he/she will probably end up delaying the interview. And that's fine, because he/she is just another human being after all and can't really blame for being busy IRL.

Edited by Gambler