I'd like to address an issue

jomtukes

One of the past servers I played on had a language system. Basically when you made your character the default language was English. If you wanted to learn a second language you'd go to the library and buy a language book then it would unlock that language for you. When you unlock it your understanding was 0%. The way you increased the language skill was to either talk with that language selected or stand near people speaking in that language. So for example, with Russian it looked like this;

0% understanding - jev, hgh ajf tii bdggy?

25% understanding - Hej, hgw arf tii bdggy?

50% understanding - hej, hgw are yoi tobby? 

100% understanding - Hey, how are you today? 

This has actually been so annoying, it's unreal.

Please do not think the OP has had one situation and instantly made this post, that is not even close to what's happened. 
As one of the people who has been roleplaying with him, due to us being friends, we have seen so many people who would randomly speak Russian out of nowhere. He made this post after a German speaking Scottish lady suddenly understood Russian.

For example, my character was stating very complex statements such as "I will allow your girlfriend to watch as I beat you senseless, then allow you to watch as I piss in her mouth". Now, the player who suddenly understood this claimed they had learned it through their IC Russian friend.

How often do you use those terms with an IC friend learning a complex language such as Russian? 

There has been so many times over the past few days where my character, who doesn't speak a word of English, has had his Russian completely MG'd. 

Are player applications stored by any chance, assuming not? If so, and a player is reported for being bi-lingual - it'd be 'easy' to go back and see if they mentioned anything about it in their character background story. It'd be a good indicator and way to differentiate between someone who is genuinely role playing a linguist and those who suddenly decide their character now knows a brand new language.

I completely agree that a lot of people probably do just make things up with their character as they go, but because it's an issue doesn't mean the next person who does know the language should be punished for it or receive shit for it. If it's not included in a background story, then there should be days, weeks if not months of role play that was documented to prove so.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure how else one can decide to punish a player.

6 hours ago, SugarDavis said:

One of the past servers I played on had a language system. Basically when you made your character the default language was English. If you wanted to learn a second language you'd go to the library and buy a language book then it would unlock that language for you. When you unlock it your understanding was 0%. The way you increased the language skill was to either talk with that language selected or stand near people speaking in that language. So for example, with Russian it looked like this;

0% understanding - jev, hgh ajf tii bdggy?

25% understanding - Hej, hgw arf tii bdggy?

50% understanding - hej, hgw are yoi tobby? 

100% understanding - Hey, how are you today? 

How would that look in game though, because from just that it looks incredibly ugly and messy. I do like the concept, just not sure how exactly it would work and I'd hope it'd take awhile to understand the language otherwise the issue would still stand and people would just 'be around russians all day' and in a few hours or days, they now know and speak fluent Russian (in this case, but really any language excluding English) lmao.

I really don't think it's too big of an issue and a system isn't really needed but a good system wouldn't be an idea that I'd oppose either imo. If a player has an issue, they report them and it'll get investigated from there. If it turns out they're bs'ing - they can get warned to stop and if persisted - a vacation would suffice.

yea this definitely is an issue, i spoke all [Spanish] to somebody ICly and even rped using dialect from El Salvador, which most other Spanish speakers wouldn't understand as well as they would understand a normal spanish speaker, but somehow a random African American dude knew exactly what my character had said and was replying to me in English with no regard for the [Spanish] tag. That's just one of the encounter's i've had with people who do this.

Edited by la tweaker

1 hour ago, Gerda said:

I think it's a part of a bigger problem- unrealistic skill sets of characters.

Maybe we should enforce some kind of character skill sheet like in RPG with points to assign, that will be stored for admins to access ?

Yeah and get admins crying that they have too much to do and have no time to review your roleplay for learning the skill of tying a pony tail  with your pubes.

Either way just slap in a language system and be done with it. It will lower the amount of people doing this at least fifty percent which is good, rest can be reported for buying the whole library of languages and learning hundred languages in the time I can make a sandwich. To "clutter" boys and whatnot it would work just like masks and when people talk in different languages in real life it actually sounds like asdfga sdfaksdfaslkjdfgasgashg jdf as dghjas hgjfa ghkjsafd, So stop looking for an issue in that solution.

Edited by McCatalyst
1 hour ago, McCatalyst said:

Yeah and get admins crying that they have too much to do and have no time to review your roleplay for learning the skill of tying a pony tail  with your pubes.

Either way just slap in a language system and be done with it. It will lower the amount of people doing this at least fifty percent which is good, rest can be reported for buying the whole library of languages and learning hundred languages in the time I can make a sandwich. To "clutter" boys and whatnot it would work just like masks and when people talk in different languages in real life it actually sounds like asdfga sdfaksdfaslkjdfgasgashg jdf as dghjas hgjfa ghkjsafd, So stop looking for an issue in that solution.

I semi support this, since if they will implement such a system right now people who know two or more languages due to their back story are well gonna be in a pinch since they'll have to Learn the language even though they know it IC due to backstory of the character(For instance the new phone system, that required us to buy a phone, and link our old number to it instead of the Dev's running a query on the database to add those into our inventory but I do not know the whole reasoning behind why they did not do that). For example my character knows only two languages, English & Russian (she knows the latter due to her being raised in a Russian environment and community around her, she only speaks and understand it, can't read nor write), but that's it, if I see any other language spoken next to me I do read it, but I don't reply to it ICly as if I understand it all, maybe the simple words like in Spanish allot of people know Si, Vámonos, Pendejo and Puta.. knowing a few simple words is fine.. But being for example having an all black character and knowing full well Spanish and a specific dialect that most Spanish users do not know? That's plain Powergame, should be reported for Quality of Roleplay or if you feel like it's worse then Powergame report in the Report a Player section.

As I've said, if people meet a character that speaks their language, think it's Powergaming then ask the person, if their explanation is logical and realistic then let it slide, if not well .. there's admins in-game and you could post a report of Quality of Roleplay. I've had an instance where two Russian dudes were talking smack next to my character about my character thinking no one knew the language, got shocked once I spoke Russian, the person asked in /b how many languages my char knows, I've said only two and stated the source of said knowledge as well.

I'll make it very simple :

Anyone suddenly speaking a language without being a native / second generation of that country in their background OR roleplaying learning it is powergaming.

/report, we check the logs and If that person is suddenly using the language for the first time he will get instantly punished. Please, please report as soon as it happens so we can handle it.

• Upvote 3