Improper Escalation

borhoi

44 minutes ago, hentai! said:

I don't want to be a dick but you guys should either start banning people with play2win attitudes or stop calling yourselves "GTA World - a HEAVY RP text server", because situations like the ones explained above are the exact opposite of heavy, developed rp and they can literally happen once every hour on most days. You have idiots who think "oh it's just a PK so you get your lesson" playing alongside people who are genuinely creative and that gives you a bad rep. And for these people - yeah you got me, man. You fucking got me. I got killed, then I respawned and my character remembers nothing just because I threw you out of a club or I talked shit to your girlfriend at the club.

Sorry, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Why don't you submit reports on these individuals if you are aware of so many issues? 

Improper escalations? Turn on the news. Do you know ho often people resort to violence? Argument on street resulting in multiple people stabbed, or said nightclub removal resulting in shooting on the street just cause the guy that was kicked out was a cop? Oh these things happen too often to my liking. I am not saying do it like that, just don't call that unrealistic. You'd be dishonoring all those victims that fell in such situations. World haven't changed, nor did the people. Just few nights ago, a guy was stabbed few times only because he dared to argue about who actually called a taxi with a group of drunks.

Edited by Engelbert
10 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Improper escalations? Turn on the news. Do you know ho often people resort to violence? Argument on street resulting in multiple people stabbed, or said nightclub removal resulting in shooting on the street just cause the guy that was kicked out was a cop? Oh these things happen too often to my liking. I am not saying do it like that, just don't call that unrealistic. You'd be dishonoring all those victims that fell in such situations. World haven't changed, nor did the people. Just few nights ago, a guy was stabbed few times only because he dared to argue about who actually called a taxi with a group of drunks.

Yet, it's actually uncommon considering that arguments do not lead to homicide amongst the other billion human beings that exist within the planet, it only applies to a case study that happens to be broadcasted within the mainstream media.

2 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Quite honestly, i'd completely agree with ditching the "valid reason to kill" rule as a whole. Killing anything is controversial at best and one way i could see it becoming balanced is not through rules, but within the game itself.

I would say with the right in game scripts for crime scene detectives, police and investigating every single murder that occurs in order to find the person responsible, it could possibly work. Pretty much means that all murders should pose risks not only in terms of death, but pose liability as well which is simply also not a factor or as big of a factor as it realistically should be due to obvious reasons.

But if this were the case.. even if that person was found ic and sentenced to life or for however long.. would it matter due to the ease and accessibility players have to simply create new characters? In that case it wouldn't hinder them.

So that would have to mean creating new characters should probably not be so easy, which entails having to go through the application process after the first three given slots which is actually more than enough and no longer being able to purchase character slots.. also, changing character name wouldn't have any effect on being released from prison.

Sounds too good to be true though.

2 hours ago, 1357 said:

Quite honestly, i'd completely agree with ditching the "valid reason to kill" rule as a whole. Killing anything is controversial at best and one way i could see it becoming balanced is not through rules, but within the game itself.

I would say with the right in game scripts for crime scene detectives, police and investigating every single murder that occurs in order to find the person responsible, it could possibly work. Pretty much means that all murders should pose risks not only in terms of death, but pose liability as well which is simply also not a factor or as big of a factor as it realistically should be due to obvious reasons.

But if this were the case.. even if that person was found ic and sentenced to life or for however long.. would it matter due to the ease and accessibility players have to simply create new characters? In that case it wouldn't hinder them.

So that would have to mean creating new characters should probably not be so easy, which entails having to go through the application process after the first three given slots which is actually more than enough and no longer being able to purchase character slots.. also, changing character name wouldn't have any effect on being released from prison.

Sounds too good to be true though.

Indeed, hence why I haven't said anything about it should stay as it is, nah compared to reality, we all are reasonable people that play a game together so we should come an agreement. Which of course saves everyone trouble if people stopped snapping at everything. It is sad and harsh reality yes, but in a game it is perhaps too realistic.

@Dlimit

Of course, said argument was just mentioned to illustrate the point as reasons why people can resort to violence are perhaps too many, albeit mostly resulting in a beatdown instead of murder, it is still a criminal offense.

Edited by Engelbert
6 hours ago, zUgg zUgg said:

Why don't you submit reports on these individuals if you are aware of so many issues? 

Because I don't play here anymore and I couldn't give two fucks. I always admit that I'm a whiny bitch and this time is no different. I was curious about how GTAW is doing after I left about two months ago, so here I am checking out the forums and whining as I did before I left. Please keep in mind that I'm not here to hate this platform for no reason, I have my reasons for hating it in some aspects, not in it's entiriety... but since nobody cares I'll move on.

Criminals on this server are like spoiled children. You let them do whatever they fucking want and then when someone complains you're like "oh but they're criminals so whatever, they can do it, you know".
THAT is just my opinion though, and that's all I have to say. I really hope this thread opens your eyes, dear admins and managers.

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Indeed, hence why I haven't said anything about it should stay as it is, nah compared to reality, we all are reasonable people that play a game together so we should come an agreement. Which of course saves everyone trouble if people stopped snapping at everything. It is sad and harsh reality yes, but in a game it is perhaps too realistic.

@Dlimit

Of course, said argument was just mentioned to illustrate the point as reasons why people can resort to violence are perhaps too many, albeit mostly resulting in a beatdown instead of murder, it is still a criminal offense.

Then again, i could completely seeing it work. It just depends on whether or not we'd want to make it work, it being too realistic isn't the problem honestly.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:08 PM, borhoi said:

Something I think a lot of people role playing on GTAW have encountered during their time here is being directly involved in, or witness to, a situation where violence was escalated improperly. Those who escalate improperly either (in my experience) have play2win attitudes, or simply do not know how to realistically portray the character they are playing.

Because of this, I think it's a good idea for a standalone rule about escalation to be added to the rules list. I am well aware that most would say this already falls under 1.0, Common Courtesy, but I'd respond that with how rampant escalation of violence being RP'd poorly is, a rule about it is warranted.

I am not a staff member, and do not make server policy. However, what I am getting at may read something like this:

Improper Escalation

The use of violence in role play will be held to a high standard. A player will not escalate to killing another player over a situation their character would not realistically respond that way to in real life. For example, if a player is thrown out of a nightclub for causing trouble, it would be considered improper escalation to wait outside for the club to close and gun down the owner or security guard who threw you out. This is a menial situation that no sane person would risk their life and freedom over.

More could be added, some could be taken away. This is simply an idea that's been floating around in my head as well as a few others' heads.

Thoughts, criticism and all other forms of discussion encouraged! ?

You claim that a player shouldn't be allowed to escalate to killing over a situation that their character wouldn't realistically have killed someone over it.

How can you know someone's character or what their character has been through?

• mj2002 locked this topic