Improper Escalation

borhoi

Something I think a lot of people role playing on GTAW have encountered during their time here is being directly involved in, or witness to, a situation where violence was escalated improperly. Those who escalate improperly either (in my experience) have play2win attitudes, or simply do not know how to realistically portray the character they are playing.

Because of this, I think it's a good idea for a standalone rule about escalation to be added to the rules list. I am well aware that most would say this already falls under 1.0, Common Courtesy, but I'd respond that with how rampant escalation of violence being RP'd poorly is, a rule about it is warranted.

I am not a staff member, and do not make server policy. However, what I am getting at may read something like this:

Improper Escalation

The use of violence in role play will be held to a high standard. A player will not escalate to killing another player over a situation their character would not realistically respond that way to in real life. For example, if a player is thrown out of a nightclub for causing trouble, it would be considered improper escalation to wait outside for the club to close and gun down the owner or security guard who threw you out. This is a menial situation that no sane person would risk their life and freedom over.

More could be added, some could be taken away. This is simply an idea that's been floating around in my head as well as a few others' heads.

Thoughts, criticism and all other forms of discussion encouraged! ?

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1

Yeah as someone who plays a character who constantly throws mobsters and gang bangers out of clubs for acting like animals rather than people it's really annoying having to watch my characters back because it's "Disrespectful" to throw someone out, even if my character has never head of them up until that point or was just doing their job. I've also seen so many incidents go from just back and fourth arguing to a gun fight. It shortens roleplay and makes it very unenjoyable for one party, especially when they're not willing to escalate it from 0 to 100.

Just now, Sapphire said:

Completely agree with this. Tired of seeing killings and other stupid situations where no sane person would kill someone over, especially not in an area with many witnesses. There seems to be a lack of RP of fear of jail time/consequences. 

Exactly. Just because due to the mechanics of an RP server you might be able to speed off and never hear about it again doesn't mean you should decide to gun someone down in front of a crowded nightclub right after it closes.

People don't do that over being thrown out, or (and I swear I've seen this) served the wrong drink.

I've been seeing a lot of unnecessary in RP scenarios lately and it's getting to the point where it's becoming laughable. Either goes from words to a full on stabbing, or from words to a shooting. Killing with poor reasoning is also popping up a lot lately and as Sapphire said, there seems to be a lack of people actually fearing jail and getting caught cause they know they'll be out within hours so they can do it again. 

With that being said, I definitely agree with this and would love to see something done about it.

I'd like to add that what I'm advocating for here doesn't already fall under Deathmatching. I'm talking here about the process of escalating violence. Even if a character 'wins' a gunfight and survives, if the initiating party went from words to shooting within seconds, this rule would apply. Under the current system a player could say something to the effect of 'Well I RP a violent criminal so that's how he'd react lol'. This boils down to realistic RP and proper fear of punishments, regardless of whether they are scriptly there.

Another viable alternative to codifying a new rule, is to clearly add a section about this issue to the already existing Deathmatching rule, though I'd personally like to see an entirely separate rule implemented.

Edited by borhoi

I think a lot of these situations stem also from the fact that the penalties for first degree,  cold blooded murder, aren't harsh enough.  Three hours in prison doesn't really encourage people to consider the consequences of such actions,  especially with the countdown timer ticking away while offline. 

2 hours ago, Kilocon said:

I think a lot of these situations stem also from the fact that the penalties for first degree,  cold blooded murder, aren't harsh enough.  Three hours in prison doesn't really encourage people to consider the consequences of such actions,  especially with the countdown timer ticking away while offline. 

i'm just gonna be honest here too though.

people should rp properly without the fear of script punishments.

people just need to hold themselves to a higher standard. there doesn't need to be actual realistic jail sentences for people to rp like they're facing them.

it's a role player server. don't let mechanics dictate your character actions.

• Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic