Gangs in 2019

TABLE OF CONTENTS

- Introduction

- The Hood and You

- Gang Structure

- The Mentality of a Gangster

1. Introduction

I'll be brief; you're here to learn how to properly play out gang roleplay and that's what you're going to get. Everything in this guide is up to date with modern terms, activities and even factual information provided by several sites documenting gangs and their activities. This guide was created because of the common misconsumption most of the community members make when thinking about street gangs being stuck with a 90s mentality - which is not at all true as gangs are in fact more or less bigger than just an unorganized bunch of hoodlums.

First thing you need to understand is that gangs are literally only out to get money nowadays and nothing more or less. Gang banging died in the early 2000s. There's two types of gangs active on the streets; a branch and a clique. The difference between these two is that a branch is usually the gang side of a big organization, such as a cartel or triad - while the clique is a group kicked up by the youth residing in a specific area. A branch would usually be more organized as they're backed by their mainland organization, meaning they wouldn't have issues with generating a steady supply. The cliques more or less are not that fortunate and therefore are simply doing their own thing.

2. The Hood and You

hood.PNG

The "hood" is more or less an area of operation for most gangs, their headquarters if you will. Most people think that gangs are required to stand around on the curbs of their neighborhoods 24/7 just to maintain the gang's territory and livelihood, and while that is true in some aspects, it is not entirely what goes on behind the scenes.

Affiliated people will not be standing around on their block in broad daylight as that can get them in a lot of trouble as nowadays, most gangs in LA have injunctions which prevent them from becoming as active as they were in the 90s - this doesn't mean that "posting up" is completely against the street code, that's up to the gang how they choose to operate. However if a group of affiliates were to just kick it out by the curb in broad daylight, say at around 1-2 PM, they'd be approached by the police department's gang unit - given that most gangs nowadays are well known.

gangcolors.PNG

Gangs have given up on wearing their gang colors a long time ago because of the aforementioned events that took place in the past. Often times there'd be murders on innocent individuals simply because they wore a specific color in a specific neighborhood - this was acknowledged by majority of LA's gangs, which is most likely the original reasoning behind them dropping colors. Even though some "old heads" and youngsters still wear colors, it's not as severe as it used to be where they'd wear a full colored outfit to represent their affiliation.

The ghetto neighborhoods are highly dangerous and even the police avoid going there as much as they can. Thousands of deaths have occurred in the aforementioned ghettos and while most of them were gang related, majority of them were hate fueled. That being said, you as a member of another gang shouldn't even think about heading over into enemy territory without any kind of protection and/or backup. Your race will often influence most of the violence that occurs within gang territory, because assumptions are and will stay one of the most prominant reasons behind the vast majority of homicides throughout Los Angeles - which is why gangs aren't really race restricted anymore. Although it's harder for mexican people to join black gangs and black people to join mexican gangs, it's still not impossible.

The 18th street gang, to bring up an example, are of multiple ethnicities, allowing African Americans and even Asians to climb up their ranking ladder.

3. Gang Structure

Most of the gangs nowadays are based on respect as oppose to having the title of a longstanding individual - although your time within the gang is still taken into consideration, respect beats that in every aspect available. A hoodlum that earned respect from majority of the neighborhood's affiliates is more likely to be in charge than a member who's been affiliated for several years, actively putting in work.

However, dignity aside, most of the gangs would be split between the higher ups, which would often times be older individuals that control the group - and the youngsters. Please note that the rank structure depends entirely on the gang itself, as most gangs refer to their ranks via numbers and/or names they made up throughout their run ins with different types of slang.

To give an example, here's the Asian Boyz gang hierarchy;

1s - the head honcho(s) of the gang.

2s - the second in charge.

26s - a foot soldier, commonly brought out only for gang attacks.

22s - an affiliate, an individual that's been put on the gang.

And of course, the outsiders. 

Now, like I mentioned before - most gangs are respect orientated which means that they care more about your street credibility than your stance within the gang, which could also give you credibility.

Q; How does one earn respect within a gang?

A; Respect is a wide term defined in a variety of different ways. As a gang member, you're supposed to commit illegal activites in the gang's name and have your crime witnessed by either members of your gang or of a rival gang to have it acknowledged by the higher ups once the word goes around.

Q; Are there any limits to earning respect?

A; Absolutely. There's always limits for everything, even putting in work. If you're constantly getting rid of rivals, you're bringing heat down to your gang - heat meaning federal attention of law enforcement agencies - and bringing in heat is usually never a good thing to do, hence why you should know your limits with putting in work and leave it at a realistic level. However this is just a game and killing people doesn't really mean much, so the aspect of realism isn't really to be acknowledged here, unless you're going for a really enjoyable experience which is highly recommended.

4. The Mentality of a Gangster

Before I even start - you have to understand that gang banging is getting old and tiring. It's usually the reason why you see people getting out of the hood and bringing most of their people with them - hence why you see Bloods and Crips driving around in lambos with 4000kg chains over their necks. 

A gang affiliate would usually be between the ages of 16 to 19, meaning they're more in touch with the modern world than you think they are. An affiliate is human as well, with properly working emotions and interests as well as hobbies. They like memes, youtubers and pretty much everything else that you would prefer taking interest in, with the exception of being marked out as members of an illegal group. Gang members have crushes and ultimately feelings, but fail to show them most of the time because they want to maintain an image of being this hardcore gangster representing whatever the hell they're representing. 

A gang member is often times just a normal individual and does the same things you would do, with exceptions of sometimes going illegal. 

Murder is, and should be the last thing on your mind while roleplaying a gang affiliate. Murder is extremely hard to get away with, and you should resort to beating people up instead. All the "OoOh GaNgS OnLy MuRdEr PeOPLe To ShOw DoMiNaNCe" is only relevant in modern music and is not at all the way gangsters act in real life, to some extent it is true but most of the time is a way different concept.

You should avoid relating your character's life to an artist's life. Majority of the time when you listen to a rap song, the artist is using something called hyperbole which is over egagerating things in a manner that would be unrealistic. Your character should be mindful of his actions and put his life in regard when contemplating a life as a gangster.

This was a basic guide I made for all you aspiring roleplayers. I know there's like 5 of them out right now and mine's just a statistic, but hey. I'll work on this some more later on.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

This is great and should be mandatory reading for people who want to engage in gang RP on this server. Having grown up in a gang ridden area myself, I've wanted to write up something similar for a long time, but this covered all the points I wanted to make and more.

Awesome.

1 hour ago, borhoi said:

This is great and should be mandatory reading for people who want to engage in gang RP on this server. Having grown up in a gang ridden area myself, I've wanted to write up something similar for a long time, but this covered all the points I wanted to make and more.

Awesome.

appreciate it amigo

• 3 weeks later...